The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
poisonshroom

Whats wrong with my Iboga?

Hey guys

I have two Tabernathe Iboga plants, one nearly died about a week after i recieved it, but it has recovered and is a nice strong looking plant now

gallery_6534_363_160516.jpg

The other however, is not looking too good. its in a much bigger pot and didnt have any problems adjusting to my climate when i first got it. recently though (last couple of weeks) its got this yellowing on the leaves, which are not well formed and a lot smaller than on the first one.

gallery_6534_363_200082.jpg

gallery_6534_363_52192.jpg

Im thinking its some kind of nutrient deficiency, but i dont know an awful lot about plant disease. Both plants are growing in pretty much the same conditions except the sick one may have gotten a bit more sun (i moved it into the shade last week, but it doesnt appear to be improving). Both are fed fortnightly with seasol and powerfeed or equivalent, except lately because its been raining for about a month now.

anyone have any ideas? these are probably my favourite plants in my garden, so not only do i not want to kill them, but any other info on cultivation (tips etc) would be greatly appreciated.

thank you B)

If you are feeding fortnightly I would doubt a nute deficiency, I would be thinking too much water esp. as how you say its been raining for a month, maybe repot into plastic the same as teh healthy one and it may drain better than the glazed ceramic.... Does that pot have drainage? Is the soil in both pots the saem?

The ceramic pot has drainage, but it was sitting on the ground (clay), so that may have blocked the holes too much. Im going to repot the healthy one later into the terracotta pot that its sitting in in the picture, so ill probably put the sick one in the pot the healthy one comes out of.

The soil is similar for both except the sick one has a fair bit more perlite and gravel in it (my attempt to overcome the decreased drainage from the glazed pot). Id say your right though, because i had an "unnamed bolivian rainforest plant" ;) in it that started off in a fridge crisper with holes drilled in the bottom in a similar pot and its leaves started wilting on one branch, and spread branch bybranch until it just carked it

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I thought it could be heat stress, or too much nutrient a build up of minerals ?

test PH of both pots soil could be somewhere to start

I think dworks may be onto something with drainage so i would take the pot out of the equation

Being in north queensland myself I can confidently say that it is a combination of the afore mentioned. i.e. the ridiculous amount of rain we have been getting &the poor drainage associated with many ceramic pots. I have recently had to re-pot my iboga's into plastic pots & get them under cover. Iboga needs lots of nutrients = too much water will wash a lot of the goodies from your soil & poor drainage will drown the damn thing. I also find that dynamic lifter pellets are pretty handy when the monsoonal weather comes along (doesn't seem to deplete as fast IME).

Happy planting

Muskrat

potassium, manganese or zinc deficiency is my guess, not the yellowing is in between the veins and on the newer leaves. it's hard to see anything else in the photo like what the growth is doing.

edit: didn't read thread. still, may be worth switching to a slow release fertiliser and checking for extreme ph.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Good ideas guys =]

ill have to pick up a ph test kit, and ill repot it asap. ill also try some dynamic lifter pellets (cant hurt even if thats not the issue). The rain seems to have eased off now, so i think the next few weeks are going to be pretty busy - the whole yard is a swamp at the moment and a lot of my plants are not liking it all that much. surprisingly my cacti seem to be the least affected by the weather, they are all going mad and only 1 (which is indoors) has had an issue with rot.

ill also give everything a good feed tomorrow (the ibogas are both under cover now, so nutrient runoff and overwatering shouldnt be much of an issue any more. i just hope i can save my plant.

Great information in this thread, I think you've solved some of my Iboga problems too.

I hope they both do well with the new ideas.

Edited by Casuarius

Thanks for the advice =] i repotted it and included blood and bone with potash and trace elements. its looking a lot worse than in the first picture, but thats because i delayed in repotting. hopefully it recovers. im probably going to buy another one soon too - i love these plants

too much nutrient a build up of minerals ?

test PH of both pots soil could be somewhere to start

my bet is with mac here, toxic build up of nutes...

just put the plant into the rain for one day or two, and it will wash out the build up.

but don't stopp fertilizing altogether thinking, i used to much and now have to compensate for this.

just because some minerals have reached harmful levels for the plant, it doesn't mean she is not lacking some other minerals at the same time.

you can flush aswell the soil with tank water,

but nothing beats the rain.

mine looked excactly the same as your pic shows, but not anymore since i flushed her in the rain!

Might give that a go. its been a bit stormy these last few days, so ill put it out now.

thanks for the tip B)

Im where you live at and mine looked exactly like that.

I moved it into nearly full shade as it was in full sun. I think its sunburn too man... as casuarius said.

Mine is now sitting in the shade out in the rain in a plastic pot sitting in boggy clay. I tipped a couple of inches of mill mud on top. Within a few days it went from looking like yours to being so green and heaps of new growth

I neglected mine for ages though, I didnt realise she loved so much food. I was warned not to use straight mill mud but it absolutely loved it

Edited by lickapop

Hola muskrat.

I kindly disagree with this comment, I get just as much rain as you, probably more and my ibogas love it. The drainage doesnt matter either, i have a couple of large ones growing in some boggy clayish soil and the dont care about it at all. They usually respond with increased rootstock size and lush green vegetive growth.

The sick iboga to me looks like its had to much intense sun ie sunburn. Some plants can take it, others cant.

Coco peat, perlite, compost, a bit of blood and bone and you cant fail, iboga loves coco.

Saludos

This comment was made made from my own experience. I had some ibogas in ceramic pots & some in plastic pots (identical soil mix). The ones I had in ceramic were growing like unhealthy dwarves compared to the ones in plastic. Once they were re-potted they shot up & started branching out like crazy. Yes they had large root systems but apart from that there was very little appealing about them until recently. When trying to grow mother plants your after branches for propagation, no? Anyway worked out well for ME. I have found that boggy soil is OK when the plant is in the ground but for some reason not OK for pots. IME of course.

Edited by muskrat

Edited by Casuarius

what are your temps. every winter minedo this a bit when temps are really low for here, around 10-13C. when it warms, they grow good again.

i almost killed them the first 2 winters trying to correct nute "problems", not i just put them next to a wall to keep them a little warmer, and viola. just a thought.

Hi Casuarius

I had made the assumption that these were poisonshrooms only 2 ibogas & hence would become mother plants. That was the purpose of the reference. No I did not ask you about cloning. The question mark was used as a rhetorical implication.

Also I can't help but feel that you are being somewhat patronizing.

Edited by muskrat

Here is mine prob about a month after moving it out of full sun. I wish I had a photo of it it in its pitiful burned out state it was in but you get the picture by looking at some of its older growth.

I gave it a dose of mill mud about 2 weeks ago

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

Will start introducing it into sun..thanks

The spot I want to plant it is in nearly full sun

Edited by lickapop
  • Like 1

Edited by Casuarius

Thanks for the shared info in this thread... I hope it'll save my sick and struggling plant....