The Corroboree
hutch

New Year's festivals of drug abuse

"REVELLERS expect 90 per cent of those at some festivals will take drugs." says it all really....The war on drugs is over gentleman...lay down your weapons

NEW Year's festival fans are bragging they will carry a "carload of drugs" into weekend events as police admit they're powerless to stem the illicit tide.

Fears have risen over the emergence on the party scene of super-strong MDMA capsules, which can spark anxiety, paranoia and aggression.

Police are planning surprise operations at music festivals involving sniffer dogs and undercover officers. But Supt Paul Pottage said it was difficult to assess how many people carrying drugs slipped through undetected.

The Herald Sun found:

DRUGS are being secretly sold from tents at some festivals.

YOUTHS are spending up to $350 on drugs for days of partying.

DRUG-USERS are routinely smuggling narcotics into events without fear of security or police.

REVELLERS expect 90 per cent of those at some festivals will take drugs.

Supt Pottage said sniffer dogs were effective at detecting narcotics, and had recently been trained to detect deadly drug GHB.

Is tighter security needed at music festivals? Share your thoughts below

But they would not be at all events, and though they screen patrons on their way in, they are not used inside.

"It (drug use) is something that has just become part of the dance scene landscape," Supt Pottage said.

"It's certainly prevalent. We would hope to think we get a reasonable percentage of people going in carrying drugs.

"The message is, it's not the way to go."

Supt Pottage said while the large commercial events had good security and first aid, many smaller private events were poorly organised.

"We'll get anywhere between 40 and 60 (offenders) at any event, which has been steady since 2005. Just as routinely we will get three of four traffickers," he said.

Police patrolling Winter Sound System detected a teenager with 700 to 800 ecstasy pills.

Falls Festival director Simon Daly said though there were no searches for drugs, medical staff rarely encountered people suffering drug-related problems.

Pyramid Rock publicist Steven Stavrakis said there was a strong police presence.

Prof Dan Lubman, of Turning Point Drug and Alcohol Centre, said people taking drugs in groups often wrongly believed there was no harm. They should look out for mates.

If you are concerned about an alcohol or drug problem, call Turning Point DirectLine on 1800 888 236, for free advice.

http://www.heraldsun...x-1225978231469

Cant say ive seen any "super-strong" MDMA caps going around. I cant recal the last time i even saw MDMA!

have super strong mdma caps ever sparked anxiety, paranoia or aggression for any of you guys?

have super strong mdma caps ever sparked anxiety, paranoia or aggression for any of you guys?

fucking editor cut the sentence, it ended with 'for the establishment that be'

there's so much in that article to fly off the handles about, i think i'll just go outside...

• Like 1

only when I couldn't get any myself

:lol:

I'd be intersted to hear if there's any truth whatsoever in the rumour that strong caps are going around

I'd be intersted to hear if there's any truth whatsoever in the rumour that strong caps are going around

...or MDMA caps for that matter :rolleyes:

Bugger all on pillreports at the moment, except for one or two reports of imports. Seems like it's the same old story from the last few years. I doubt the establishment that be have anything to worry about in terms of the NYE festivals being over-run with super-potent MDMA pills.

Anxiety, Paranoia and Aggression? When I used to drop, my favourite pass-time was getting loved up and then beating the crap out minority groups. PLURAK = Peace, Love, Unity, Respect, Ass-kicking. Oh yeah, those were the days.

Umm... better edit that ^^ to specify that I'm being facetious.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Anxiety, Paranoia and Aggression? When I used to drop, my favourite pass-time was getting loved up and then beating the crap out minority groups. PLURAK = Peace, Love, Unity, Respect, Ass-kicking. Oh yeah, those were the days.

Yeh that about sums up my experience's

only when I couldn't get any myself

:lol:

hah

well i think there'd be more truth to it now than a year ago. get a bag of md, cram a cap full of it, voila super strong md caps.

ditto on the ass kicking, that's how i always used to roll. now i prefer speed though so everybody can relax.

Well no caps, onto the tequila sunrises for me, so prepare for mega-arrogance egotistical aggro heavyhanded biatch. That's much better, innit?

scratchhead.gif

I think anxiety and aggression are from the come down especially when paired with large amounts of alcohol which is more common lately. MDMA fades, alcohol is still in full force and WHAM, the normal come down affects are amplified.

Second rumour in two days about MDMA going around though...