The Corroboree
tripsis

Monstrose Trichocereus peruvianus offsets

Got this cutting off mushroomman earlier this year. When it began to pup, they emerged either spineless or with only a few of the areoles producing spines. The trait has continued with the intial two offsets, but a new offset which has begun to grow is normal.

Last summer shortly after emerging:

DSC06877800x600-.jpg

DSC06878800x600-.jpg

Later that same summer:

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07346.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07348.jpg

Now (with recent snail damage):

DSC05580800x600.jpg

DSC05497800x600.jpg

DSC05578800x600.jpg

DSC05577800x600.jpg

DSC05579800x600.jpg

Now it would seem that this clone has alleles for both normal and monstrose growth. Is I were to cut and root, or graft, one of the monstrose offsets, would the trait persist, or would it revert back to normal growth? Is there even a way to know without doing it?

wow , thanks for the update , mine (the same clone?) is growing normally, you've got to be happy with what you have there!

No way to know for sure if the trait will persist but i would take off the pup with the regular growth as to give the plants energies to the pups with the semi monstrose habits. I have a peru which looks to be of the same type also displaying some unusual characteristics, whether or not this will continue is anyones guess.

Look after those pups man!

post-1464-0-18283900-1293160786_thumb.jp

SAM_0059.JPG

SAM_0059.JPG

• Like 1

That was my plan. I'll wait until it's a little bigger so I can root it, but the monstrose pups are my priority. That one you've got there is bizarre PD!

Nice pics, its a really different peruvianus. Strange blue green with those chunky white spines.

Hope my plant, can achieve similar proportions of spasticness.

Its in the ground and has turned a darker green and lost its blueness.

Seems as it is due to environmental conditions that the various pups displayed different characteristics. As they suggested, get rid of the normal pup and let the full energy of growth be directed at the monstrose pups. Good looking plant there.

Good luck i hope the plant keeps throwing out monstrose growth for you, unusual & beautiful plant :wub:

Edited by mac

I'd bet money the trait will persist. You might get normal offsets from the monstrose plants aswell, but I would just treat them like a sport (when plant reverts back to normal growth) and dispose of. I rekon if u cut and root those mostrose in the future, the pups that emerge from those would be monstrose also. But as for now, I'd do exactly as was said before, cut off normal and let the rootstock make those babies fat. If u remove the normal pup, it may also help trigger the monstrose to pup and then u will find out for sure.

This is good year for monstrose it seems, first we got pD's crests and now this. My TBM has sported a variagated pup, so here's hoping on a trifecta

P.S. That new pup may not be a normal pup either, most mostrose pups look like that when they first emerge, so maybe it's start droping spines soon too.

P.P.S. both those pups have furry stuff that remionds me of flower bud, I remember reading lond time back bout flower buds some times revert back to pup instead of turning into proper flowers, Maybe this is a case of that.

Edited by naja naja

I'll see how this third offset develops. If it looks like it's going monstrose, it stays, otherwise I'll cut it off. Maybe when the other two are a fair bit larger I'll be game enough to cut one of them and see what happens. I'd like to propagate them if possible. I need to get into micropropagation at some point soon...

PD's crests are amazing! So rare to see them from seed.

I wonder how you would know that it's actually a flower bud reverting (would that be the right word?) to a pup, as opposed to a pup that just looked like a flower bud?

fucking fantastic. i havent ever seen montrose peruvianus pics before

The "fluff" looks like malformed areoles to me, have seen it before on damaged tips and the like.

I was looking at the base of the third offset and it appears that it had started out monstrose, then reverted to normal growth. It may have even been a response to being under attack from snails. Still, it shows that it's worth keeping, even if I cut and root it separately.

If I were to cut and root, or graft, one of the monstrose pups or a section of one of them, which lacked any obvious areoles, would it be able to grow?

rooted yes, grafted no. And if rooted may take a long time to sprout a new pup from the roots. Best to always keep and areole on your TBM's

Ahhh, I now understand why grafting a scion without any areoles doesn't work. But then, shouldn't it be able to pup from the apical meristem?

Never seen TBM's pup from the apical meristem before.

Nor have I and I just realised why. I was reading on monstrose growth the other day and found this:

In monstrose growth, the local apical dominance is lost and every growth tip tries to grow as if it were the dominant point, resulting in a "knobby" or "lumpy, jumbled" growth.

Should have thought about that before...

that is a seriously awesome plant, lucky you!!

this cactus, though, unlike TBM, seems to be able to throw pups/areoles at the tip, I think.. maybe.

But I would not cut to graft. I would let them grow a bit more , then cut and root them, a la TBMs.