The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Agroforestry, Horticulture or similar jobs?

wow. Its been years and years since I've logged in to the Corroboree.

So I'd like to get into the Australian species again. I'm looking for jobs in agroforestry, agricutlure, horticulture etc... anything that might allow me to work with similarly interested people. Not necessarily psychoactive ethnobotany, anything really.

Let me know if you know of anything out there.

Thank ya kindly

Hi Floyd, welcome back. This is a very wide field. How about you ask in your local nurseries if they need some help over the summer. It´s not easy to get into full time jobs without having done some smaller jobs first. I dont think that there are that many jobs in botany that are freely available without the willingness to make an eduction. How far do you want to go? Have you already learnt something in this field or is this a totally new type of work for you? bye Eg

Arboriculture? Managing trees, particularly in urban environments. Some of the types of things arborists are often involved in:

-Council DA submission reports (its not all lopping off branches) if your into the planning side of things

-Land and Environment court cases relating to development and tree impacts, although you will need to be somewhat of an expert to be an expert witness

-Street tree inventories and management plans - going out and noting what trees grow in what neighbourhood streets, and producing reports recommending actions to be taken in relation to the performance of those trees

-Working with service authorities that deal with trees and asset management (powerlines, underground cables etc)

-Helping design structural solutions for buildings that acommodate trees more effectively, such as pier and beam footings, structural soils and explorative digs to determine tree root locations

-tree farms or procuring, installing and managing trees for large landscape projects

-Managing, transplanting or relocation of large trees

-trimming, removing and maintaining trees both commercial and domestic

etc etc

You'll likely develop a lot of good professional contacts from a wide range of disciplines through aboriculture.`

i interpreted the query as 'anybody know of any jobs going?'

horticulture may be a bit of a shit-kicker industry but that in most cases that doesn't mean you can just slide into jobs.