The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Tristaniopsis laurina

While walking the streets of Enmore the other day, I was suddenly hit by the distinct smell of DMT. At first I thought that someone must have been smoking it in one of the houses I was passing by and dismissed it. However, after a few minutes, I smelt it again. I realised that the smell was coming from the flowers of the street trees, which happened to be Tristaniopsis laurina. While I doubt that these trees actually contain DMT in them, I found it interesting that I found the smell of their flowers virtually identical to the smell of DMT. Would anyone else who has smelt the flowers of Tristaniopsis laurina consider their smell to be like that of DMT?

yeah I made a point of smelling one closely the other day, yes it did indeed smell that way.. So does Bursaria spinosa...

DMT is odourless, so what you smelled is not DMT. The distinctive smell you are referring to is actually the breakdown products of dmt - skatol etc

The breakdown products of trimethyltryptophan smell pretty much the same, and this is a common substance in plants and probably responsible for many of the smell IDs.

Trimethyltryptophan is also a potent neurotoxin, which is why I am not thrilled about people identifying 'DMT' via the smell method.

• Like 1

Interesting to know and something I'll keep in mind. Does this mean that when DMT has that "typical" smell, it has become somewhat toxic due to the breakdown products present in it (I was just reading that skatol is mildly toxic)? Would pure DMT have any smell, at least freshly extracted/synthesised?

Does this mean that when DMT has that "typical" smell, it has become somewhat toxic due to the breakdown products present in it (I was just reading that skatol is mildly toxic)?

The amount of skatol is probably nothing to worry about. It is a VERY potent aroma substance and hence traces of it would already produce a strong aroma.

Would pure DMT have any smell, at least freshly extracted/synthesised?

It would be difficult to make or extract dmt without any degradation product as it oxidises so quickly.

Would pure DMT have any smell, at least freshly extracted/synthesised?

It would be difficult to make or extract dmt without any degradation product as it oxidises so quickly.

Really, never had noticed any smell before except from Eastern states, WA seems odourless when snow white.

The breakdown products of trimethyltryptophan smell pretty much the same, and this is a common substance in plants and probably responsible for many of the smell IDs.

Trimethyltryptophan is also a potent neurotoxin, which is why I am not thrilled about people identifying 'DMT' via the smell method.

interesting, thanks for the info T.. hibbertia scandens is another native i've noticed who's flowers often have this strong characteristic smell...

hmm are some of these breakdown products also responsible for the yellow/orange color often found in impure extracts? it seems many of the plants which exhibit this odor have yellow flowers... bit of a long shot i guess but is that just a coincidence?

DMT is odourless, so what you smelled is not DMT. The distinctive smell you are referring to is actually the breakdown products of dmt - skatol etc

I just looked up skatole and read that it occurs naturally in dung(as well as plants) and has a strong fecal odour, but in small quantities has a flower like odour.

I've smelt it on people's breaths before, as well as riding down roads, it's good to know what i've been smelling :)