The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Forum is being upgraded in the next few hours/days

This is degenerating into hilarity. I like the way threads often degenerate here.

ditto here

I am no old cunt, but I am sentimental too about the original colours. For some strange reason, this is the forum I have invested the most time.

Yesterday I made a post here, thinking I was writing to the Nook, lol.

More emoticons are a great idea too.

and :wink: should be " ;)" not " ":*ink: "

For some strange reason, this is the forum I have invested the most time.

That's no doubt due to the fact that we're a top bunch of cunts.

I hate comparing forums, but if we're talking more emoticons, the Shroomery has a vaaaaast number of them.

can you please change it back to the dry dusty brown/orange color? it always made me feel like I was really in the outback :) The Corroboree....

Kangaroo_ill-07.jpg

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

if blue made us feel depressed wouldn't most of the world be in that state coz of the sky above them?

No wonder I feel like shit dropping down the face of an overhead right hander with the sun streaming along it.. all that blue just gets me down down down..

I'm just carrying on, remember we all had this whinge last time and it was just a matter of waiting for T to get the old banner thing up? Or are your short term memories all so retarded that you don't remember that? UTFSE then

I'm just carrying on, remember we all had this whinge last time and it was just a matter of waiting for T to get the old banner thing up? Or are your short term memories all so retarded that you don't remember that? UTFSE then

wooohoo, someone rememebrs how this works! ;)

for those who don't, I actually stated exactly that in my post above. I don't want to mess with the CSS unless I can actually stick with it for a few hours to get it right.

lol, at first i thought this would be the very same old thread and that someone just bumped it. Gotta love us...cranky soap collecting Housewives. :lol:

:worship: thread has been pretty funny. i especially liked "soap collecting housewives"

faustus this is sure to cheer you up:

we're a top bunch of cunts.

I like how the new forum is optimized for mobile phones and similar devices. Makes reading threads while driving my car much easier. ;)

Just noticed something new in My Gallery. There are five shadows of stars which i am assuming are part of a rating system for a photo. I haven't found a lot of difference in the upgrade but mind you, my computer keeps crashing so i haven't had much of a fix here lately. I have tried to get on with my sons ipod touch but it doesn't display the same as on a computer , so i just feel ripped off. Am getting use to the Blue theme though!

when viewing a list of threads, hovering the mouse makes a little icon appear which can be used to preview the thread.

I am sorry guys, but for personal reasons I won't be able to fix this colour scheme till after xmas. Unexpected and undesirable, but nothing I can do about it.

Stress less Torsten, we are not really complaining. Everything is usable and thats all that matters.

:)

Stress less Torsten, we are not really complaining. Everything is usable and thats all that matters.

:)

Yep, that's the way I saw it. Wasn't stressed about the colours, but rather about what called me away. Goddamn cairns council slapped a 48h removal notice on denis' car on friday afternoon so there was no way to get an extension over the weekend, ie had to get my ass to cairns by sunday night or face towing and impound fees.

As if that wasn't enough..... when I was driving the car back south on tuesday morning, it blew up just 60km south of cairns. Got towed back into cairns. Mechanic wrote it off. Sold a $3500 car for $400 parts after driving it for just an hour, LOL. The last few days have been a lesson in perspectives. Blue colour schemes not really being too important ;)

Sounds like the car didnt want to be without it´s owner. Or maybe it simply ran out of oil. :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius

There are so many weird things that happened, it was all a bit overwhelming.

Car was going fine for city driving and didn't overheat. Then on highway got a bit warm so I tried to check the radiator, but as this was hot I just checked the overflow, which was full so assumed the radiator was full too. I kept driving, but decided not to do a 2h stopover/detour in the mountains which I had planned all along. This detour was part of my plant mission up there which was also what denis had been doing there. I was intending on following up his leads while the memories were still fresh. But as I was running late and didn't want to risk taking the car up steep mountains on a stinking hot day I decided at last second not to do the trip.

Within minutes of that decision the temp shot up, but I couldn't pull over. I knew there was a servo just a couple of Km down the road, so kept going slow with the heater on full blast. This brought temp back to normal. I got to roadworks just 300m before the servo and as I slowed, the engine stalled. The temp shot up and that was the end. The radiator was dry and as the overflow hose had a crack in it the water from the overflow could not be sucked back in. Headgasket blown, possibly head cracked.

I couldn't get a flight back for another 3 days so decided to get a hire car and do the plant hunting as originally intended. Had the most frustrating first half day, being lied to, given the run around for hours, and realising that denis had been scammed too. Just as things couldn't get any more depressing a series of 4 completely unconnected and serendipitous events got me access to the right plant, photos and several kilos of fresh seed, a contact that will have another 10 species that are at the top of my wishlist, another contact that is well positioned to solve a PNG ethnobotanical/anthropological problem/secret a friend has been struggling with for over 10 years, and a couple more minor things.

Within half an hour I was completely gobsmacked. It takes a lot to impress me, but this just blew my mind. What denis hadn't managed to achieve in weeks [because he was being stimied], and various other projects I had worked on over the last decade, all came to a point in just a few minutes. It was hard to be pissed off with the whole car thing at that point as it was hard not to believe that there was something a little supernatural about it :blink:

Basically, if I had managed to drive home without breakdown i would have spent the next 2 years putting a lot of energy into the wrong species. Time and energy well in excess of the $3K I lost on the car. Instead I was 'forced' by circumstances to complete the mission and turned this all around to be one of the most significant set of events in my ethnobotanical career.

Thanks denis for doing the original work and for whatever else you had to do with the above events :wub:

notice a few subtle colour changes today, actually i really like the contrast between the gentle yellowy orange strips and the recent new blue background, of course i miss those iconic australian rocks in that upper left hand corner but im really gonna miss this layout if/when it goes. it makes it feel solid and scientific but thats just a personal opinion and it will be as it will be in the end.

what i do have questions on is the facebook login type thing?. what are the benefits of logging in through facebook...what advantages or disadvantages does it have and why even bother when you sign in via here anyway? i do have a facebook..since 2006 so i understand social networking and using it for business and so on fairly ok, i just cant seem to link "the why would i bother as a user" type info.

also as has been highlighted here before anonymity is important to a lot of members here so wouldnt linking facebook in any way even if its just through login compromise that and also open up information for third parties and apps.?

notice a few subtle colour changes today, actually i really like the contrast between the gentle yellowy orange strips and the recent new blue background,.

I gotta agree, while the old colour had mean i for one find the outback rust/red very drab.

Are we not a progressive site?

Even a house gets a new coat of paint to change things up a bit, give it a fresh new look, inspire new zest for the old girl.

p.s. congrats on your finds Torsten, certainly sounds like you may have had a little outside guidance.

Edited by Moses

@ Torsten, Funny how things work hey !. I hope that you are back in the comforts of your home and got to spend Christmas with your partner.

As for the color scheme, i still prefer the old style. As everyone has different taste, i thought we could have a different color theme for each season ? Just another job for Torsten, Haha.

The fact that we're still "IPBoard" is indicative that the upgrade is not yet complete, so until it is, there may well be further changes.

There are many IPB boards that are blue becuase the owners don't [or can't] change them. I'd hate to stay with a default I see everywhere.

The colours change a little bit each time I do this. There are always a few peple who don't like one colour or the other, but this place has always been browns, reds and ochres and I see no reason to change it.

I've done most of the changes now. There are still a few bits here and there and also quite a few small graphics that need to be updated. soon.

As for facebook, it is becoming quite common for sites to offer FB login. I don't use it [even though I don't care if anyone associates my FB account with my SAB account] and no one is suggesting you should, but it is a service that is now available.

I gotta agree, while the old colour had mean i for one find the outback rust/red very drab.

Are we not a progressive site?

Even a house gets a new coat of paint to change things up a bit, give it a fresh new look, inspire new zest for the old girl.

Sorry, but since when has DEFAULT been progressive? Did I miss a meeting or something?

SO GLAD the color is back!!! THANKS TORSTEN! Feels like home again!