The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

The wiki is live!

Hello!

http://www.ethnobotanica.org/wiki

It's alive. I've hacked in some cool and useful things, like taxoboxes, which are nice neat taxonomical tables in an easy to use format, as well as decent image uploading.

Get posting you scaggards! As it stands, anyone can create an account to edit/create new pages. See posting guidelines before posting!

I'll probably start trawling here, the SAB store and erowid tonight or tomorrow morning starting from A to add plants and stuff to the list :)

Torsten, when you see this, create an account so I can add you as a sysop :)

Excellent!! This is so exciting!!

from my experience with the forums, may I suggest you make an email address compulsory for sign up. You would not believe the number of people who forget their passwords... and the number of people who repeatedly forget their passwords. By not entering an email address you will end up with piles of unused profiles as people need to sign up again.

And I doubt there is any need or desire for the 'real name' field as we all like to hide behind our nics, or use our real names anyway.

I'm glad you like it. The taxobox template had to be hacked in by hand :P

According to the mediawiki developers, the email thing can't be compulsory without hacking more code. Which I'll do, when I have some free time for sure.

The real name thing is optional anyway. I say everyone puts their name as "Fuck John Howard" or something anyway :P

EDIT: Few things I forgot.

1. T, you're now a sysop, you'll notice when you login you can delete/protect (lock)/etc pages.

2. I'd like to ask the ethnobotanical community here, and if someone can let people know about this site on eba (I can't seem to create an account) to post entries. I don't care if you do or don't, I'm gonna be doing it anyway, but I'm not a fountain of knowledge.

Input. That's what makes online communities great.

3. If someone feels up to it, design a nice transparent PNG logo for the top left hand logo. Maybe a brug flower or something. I suck at graphic design.

[ 18. March 2005, 15:10: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Great work apothecary, even looking at the templates i'm drooling about the extent of info it'll hold in the coming years. Really great work.

A truly selfless, respectable act indeed.

My hat goes off to you apo. May your garden flourish.

Hope to add some useful info to the Wiki soon.

I think Vin's offered his design services in another thread. Maybe he can be persuaded to help out on this graphic too

Torsten:

And I doubt there is any need or desire for the 'real name' field as we all like to hide behind our nics, or use our real names anyway.

I dont even remember my real name anymore- lol, if someone shouted Auxin on the street I'd turn and look.

Excellent work on the wiki :)

i posted on eba about it. so wats the deal we just post how to grow something and thats that???

i know this is a bit pesimistic of me... but is it really a good idea to let just anyone make an account and edit any page?

couldnt some jerk just make an account and edit the whole thing into oblivion undoing all our good work!

it sounds unlikely but there are people out there that do that

can you make it so anyone can make a page... but you have to be "activated" to edit them.... and make it pretty easy to get that status... like eveny1 that uses this forum just about :)

also i MAY tinker with some grafics... i need one for my seedring webpage (www.smogler.com/seedring/) so ill try and do 1 at the same time

smogs, I think those concerns were addresses in an earlier thread about it. I think it is 100% open in the early phase and then as it grows it will become more protected.

smogs, you'll notice on the navbar on the left there is a link that says "Recent Changes".

Click it. You can see all the changes made, and if you click "diff", it says exactly what has changed.

Basically, if people start acting like dicks, it's very easy to ban them permanently and restore the information in one swoop.

Update:

All the main categories have empty pages in them now. If you look, you'll see a list of things in each that need to be filled.

I'll be doing as many as I can.

Can someone have a look at the mushroom section.

Did I miss anything? I know nothing about mushrooms.

Am I missing any ethnobotanical cacti?

I'm cutting out your work for you guys. Basically, head there, find a plant you're currently growing or have grown or something and fill in as much information as you can.

Also need someone to do writeups for TLC, a/b extraction ...I can do the nonpolar/polar wash if you like.

Ok OK I was a knocker but now I can see exactly what you were on about, top stuff mate!

What about Cannabis Sativa/Indica in the Vascular plants section. :D

Ooops, I've given my gnomes game away

....or is there already enough info out there?

The species is Sativa. It's either Cannabis Sativa Sativa, Cannabis Sativa Indica or Cannabis Sativa Ruderalis.

There is no Cannabis Indica.

I'm sure that overgrow has more than enough information ever to be covered by such a project. Although I'm not gonna censor anyone, as long as the information doesn't condone illegal things.

I can't speak for Torsten though.

There are 5 plants that are illegal (drug law) to cultivate in australia. We need to think about whether we want to risk the safety and existence of the project for the sake of including them.

One solution would be to be more general eg

Salvia divinorum : keep it general to "Salvia sp (mexican rainforest salvias)".

Papaver somniferum : keep it general to "Papaver sp (annual poppies)"

But then again, the ethnobotanica server is hosted overseas, so I am not sure whether there really is ANY legal issue.

where its hosted isnt as important as what the target audience is... i think because this community has international interests... some places where its legal to do things.. line VINS the lucky SOB... then i think its justified having the info up there

i would put info about dope plants up there but i would make it very brief... so much junk out there already but to not include it would b a bit weird

especially because it is probably the most used herb/drug/ethnobotanical world wide

Indica, Sativa, Ruderalis....whatever man. I made my point without the need to be corrected on the un-neccesary differentiation of species. I was just eluding to the fact that Cannabis sp was not on the list in the Vascular plants section where other prohibited plants are covered ie Salvia sp. It is too widely used to ignore and yes there is plenty of info out there (not all good or reputable) but isn't the whole idea of this project to cut through the shit and have relevant info that is trusted by us, it's ultimate beneficiaries!

is there a section where we could post things like. some info on what fert for what ethno species, id be happy to do that as most places in aus stock the same range. and ones like the solubility of certain chemicals in certain solvents. the odd stuff that would help all people.

general gardening tips would b good too

like how to make a good compost!

creach started a good thread on this at EBA

Torsten:

I think Vin's offered his design services in another thread. Maybe he can be persuaded to help out on this graphic too   )

teo, hehe I love you guys.

You're all asking for different sections do things.

Don't ask, just do! :D

That's the beauty of the wiki.

Every single page has an "edit" link. That means you can add anything you want!