The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LikeAshesWeFade

Poppy seedlings dying off.

Hey guys!! Just wondering why the hell my poppy seedlings germinate SO fast and healthy but then at roughly 1" high just as the dummy leaves fully open they kark it? Going soft and piss-weak at the base and falling flat to their death?? :BANGHEAD2:

I have read about damping off and was using old soil the first attempt, so I purchased a new block of coir-peat and tried again with some glad wrap over the top, air holes poked in and a 100w equivelant blue spec fluro. My main thoughts are that it may be from no fluctuation in night temps which I've heard they almost need! Also the humidty from the glad wrap seems to be creating a white cotton mould within the week probably from the top soil being too wet and humid?

I'm going to try it again, even though it's picking up in temps over here I just need to get the fuckers past 3-4" and I'll be happy for next years attempt in spring! :) Maybe I should try 100% vermiculite? or.. mix some perlite/verm with the coir-peat block, or remove the coir-peat all together. Who knows.. many options haha.

Any info would be great guys!

CHEERS! :lol:

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

Its the wrong season to germinate them. Wait until the first cold snap of winter and sow them then. They die of after fruiting , which is usually September to October.

Its the wrong season to germinate them. Wait until the first cold snap of winter and sow them then. They die of after fruiting , which is usually September to October.

No worries mate, thanks for that! :) I thought I could maybe 'imitate' an early spring with a blue spec fluro light, but obviously without night-time fluctuations they just keel over! :(

Just Leave Em if They Manage To Establish They Will Grow Back Next Season Dont Worry All my P Som Keels At The End Of Summer so I chop Off at The Ground and leave roots

Just Leave Em if They Manage To Establish They Will Grow Back Next Season Dont Worry All my P Som Keels At The End Of Summer so I chop Off at The Ground and leave roots

So they will grow back from the roots hey?

might be worth reading some of the information available about the cultivation of poppies before posting about it here.. I thought we had a policy about incriminating ourselves on this website? I note deboneamine that you also have something you shouldn't be swapping on the free seed thread... might wanna go clean that up.

Just trying to help here:

http://shaman-australis.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=21_35_96

Nothing was mentioned about cultivating P. Somniferum? just Poppies in general....

Just looking out for you guys :) no harm done

• Like 1

Just looking out for you guys :) no harm done

Cheers mate, just figured growing them for ornamental purposes was ok. Scratching them for opium is suicide in my opinion and would be extremely f**king addictive! Will look into it further before posting, thanks for the heads up though dude! :)

I guess it's not incriminating myself though, if I can't get the bastards to grow! :( haha

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

Each is Entitled To There Own Though, Please Kindness If i Choose to Trade Something Thats My Choice If I was Trading Them With the Intention of them Being used for Exracts then Yeah You Can Complain But I mearly Trade them For Ornimental Or Study Purposes

trading poppy straw is akin to selling cannibis straw. it is illegal... the choice has already been made for you my friend, that is unless you choose to do it illegally.

Each is Entitled To There Own Though, Please Kindness If i Choose to Trade Something Thats My Choice If I was Trading Them With the Intention of them Being used for Exracts then Yeah You Can Complain But I mearly Trade them For Ornimental Or Study Purposes

you are not entitled to your own, illegal trades and selfincrimination is against forum rules, and could harm the whole forum. should all of us take a risk, just because you think you can make your own rules?

• Like 1