The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Purple congo potatoes

When I was a kid, our local green grocer sold some amazing purple potato variety, called "purple congo". I grew them once, which was easy, as they are just a variety of Solanum tuberosum. I'd like to grow them again, but online sources have yielded very little and last time I checked, that green grocer wasn't stocking them. Does anyone has a few purple congo potatoes I can buy or trade for to use as seed?

No..well yes, but also has deep purple flesh.

You may have to try scouring the fruit & veg shops, i'm told there have been some purple congo's in our local as recently as a fortnight ago.

I've asked her to have a sticky for me on her way home from work this week.

I'll go have a look when I get the chance again. It's a pretty cool variety to grow.

Edited by tripsis

Picked some up today from that local green grocers. Shall plant some out this evening.

Was looking at some thin sections of them under the stereo zoom microscope. Amazing! They are incredibly psychedelic.

If anyone wants to grow them, I can probably get more on request.

yeah man,

thats cool, my sister was telling me about them a week ago when we caught up. they are quite popular in england atm.

i thought it sounded very strange.

id love a couple if you are able to source them.

cheers, Obtuse.

How would sending to Tas go? Already in shit with AQIS, not keen to dig myself a deeper hole.

Edited by tripsis

maybe not the best idea then mate.

now i know what they are i might do some asking around here in tas, and see if i can source them locally.

cheers, Obtuse.

There's actually a place online called something like TasPotatoes, which lists them, but they're out of stock. Just check with local green grocers though. Mine ordered them in and they arrived the next day.

my local grocer wont go there,

they are couple of grumpy old capitalists who seem intent on making money and not supplying decent options. they even bought the other local shop to kill the competition.

lol

thanks, i'll keep an eye on the taspotatoes

Cheers, Obtuse.

"Purple Congo"?

1) The Congo is in Africa... Potatoes are native to South America.

2) Purple Potatoes exist. Just get a variety from the Andes.

Yes, the Congo is in Africa Teotz, it's just a marketing name. They are probably the same potatoes as the ones from the Andes you are talking about.

Obtuse, if you can't get any, if you have someone on the mainland who can send to you, I could send them some potatoes for you.