The Corroboree
krazykungfu

Who else drinks Kava?

wow, i used to skull the stuff, just sat around feeling all warm and fuzzy with a big cheesy grin on my face!

guess different substances affect people differently.

This thread has motivated me to get some more klin, and have a kava christmas!!

used to love sitting around drinking kava with my nephews and playing sting-pong :) good times :)

I've tried Kava back in New Zealand ages ago, numb lips and all that, never tried it since, but just put an order in for 2kg of some Samoan Kava, a mate of mine is going back there for xmas.........

I'm thinking klin is going to be doing a sudden roaring trade after this thread :) good old corroboree stiring a micro economy

Good!! the fellow that operates it is one of the nicest, most honest businessmen ive had to deal with.

they deserve the success. Hes a very pleasant Vanuatian?? is that how u say it?

I dunno how you say it either, perhaps Islander? But totally agreed, real champ to deal with, honest, fast and reliable 5 stars ;) (feel like I'm writing an ebay feedback lol)

I can only really comment on his instant but its quite nice - second cup in for the night :P

hes a member here as well, remember reading that he does a blend of a couple of strains for his product..

Just stirring this thread up again....

Has anyone else had the full md style rush on klins instant? I was pretty shocked the first time and experimented a few more times to see if I could replicate the experience and I can... Its an awesome feeling for the first while but I can't continue without having to puke. I always seem to be the one having a spew with lots of stuff that I eat though and friends also getting the rush from the klin gear haven't...

anyhow, just wondering if any of you get that rush. I haven't had it from any of the dried powdered root preps I've made from various batches of root although I've drunk enough of that to puke too :blush::puke:

edit: I wonder if the really strong fx are in part due to there being turmeric in the mix also? hmmm

Edited by kindness

Just sitting here downing a bowl of the good stuff wondering who else does?

None of this "yeah I tried it drunk in Fiji one night blah blah blah"...

Anyone else enjoy (or at least tolerate) the unique taste and drink it regularly?

It's underrated if you ask me - my theory is the majority of people from Ozzie culture are so used to alcohol and it's easily noticeable effects that they write kava off first for the taste and then for the subtlety...

Anyway that's just a rant....who drinks it?

None of this "yeah I tried it drunk in Fiji one night blah blah blah"...

actually...first time i ever had kava was in a mountain village in fiji on my honeymoon 10 yrs ago

underemistimated

lolz

Ha Ha - I think that kind of scenario is the only time you can "underemistimate" kava!

I sat around drinking waka with the locals and didn't fall face first into the bowl as many urban myths espouse... but it did make me fall in love with a plant that I have never gone without since.

And no kidding about a week after I started this thread I was given another kilo of the good stuff totally unexpectedly - this world we live in works in mysterious ways!

As for the anxiety thing others have mentioned I'm still trying to figure this one out :scratchhead: it definitely happens, but only rarely compared to the normal relaxing effects - haven't tried this instant gear though...

A bit of a hijack but has anyone mucked around with making extracts? I've successfully made a nice working instant kava myself using isopropyl alcohol - it's a brown powder and you only need a teaspoon and the effects are heavy! The thing is I'm not totally convinced of its safety so haven't gone back there - I've only just made an ethanol (Vodka) extract last week and it's definitely not as strong and turns out as a black goo - I'm going to keep experimenting until I find a system that works. I found an old thread somewhere that said as long as alcohol + water is used (i.e. vodka) the the liver protecting stuff comes out too? This is something I've been interested in for quite a while and I still haven't found the answers I seek - which in short is a safe extract. Even though I think kava's hepatoxicity is grossly overstated so sales in valium don't decline, I'm still not going to munch away at extracts until I know for sure what the overall effects are.

Some vitamin brands say they use a water based extraction process, that would be ideal but I have no idea how that is done...

A bit of a hijack but has anyone mucked around with making extracts? I've successfully made a nice working instant kava myself using isopropyl alcohol - it's a brown powder and you only need a teaspoon and the effects are heavy! The thing is I'm not totally convinced of its safety so haven't gone back there - I've only just made an ethanol (Vodka) extract last week and it's definitely not as strong and turns out as a black goo - I'm going to keep experimenting until I find a system that works. I found an old thread somewhere that said as long as alcohol + water is used (i.e. vodka) the the liver protecting stuff comes out too? This is something I've been interested in for quite a while and I still haven't found the answers I seek - which in short is a safe extract. Even though I think kava's hepatoxicity is grossly overstated so sales in valium don't decline, I'm still not going to munch away at extracts until I know for sure what the overall effects are.

Some vitamin brands say they use a water based extraction process, that would be ideal but I have no idea how that is done...

i have never worked with kava this way, but i think to remeber two things, aceton is the solvent used comercialy and to avoid hepatoxicety you have to avoid all above ground kava.

you can buy clean technical aceton in some pharmacies or order it in.

i think isopropynol is not a strong puller for kava, but maybe good for cleaning up further your material.

i don't have the slightest urge to concentrate kava, i think water is the perfect solvent to obtain the best methode of consuming it.

if you have dark material from the alco extraction, you could try to clean it up using other solvents.

in my first job i worked at a little gorcery store where my boss always warned me about those fijians coming in and trying to bargain him down in price for the fresh kava, they really didnt like having to pay anymore than they thought reasonable.

does anyone know if you can use it fresh? just grate it up and use like the dry stuff? maybe it would be more potent fresh with less time to oxidise etc.

i read something about fijian guys sitting in a circle all night passing around the kava bowl until they float out of their bodies and take wonderful senic flights around the island

Edited by bogfrog

Are you kidding? Fresh is 100x better than dried! OF COURSE you can use it fresh! FRESH IS BEST!

i don't have the slightest urge to concentrate kava, i think water is the perfect solvent to obtain the best methode of consuming it

I hear what your sayin' - kava is perfectly fine consumed the way it always has been....but...sometimes it would just be nice to have something a little smaller than drinking 2 litres of brown liquid of the course of an evening. Western society - pills and isolation are everything! :)

I'm keen to try fresh but haven't as yet - I think that klin crew everyone is talkin about sells "fresh" frozen stuff if I remember correctly i.e. not dried and powdered

Growin my own is next

just be nice to have something a little smaller than drinking 2 litres of brown liquid

kava crack?

only kidding!

You don't have to drink two litres of kava to feel the relaxing effects and the euphoria of kava...but it depends of the freshness and quality of your kava. I usualy drink no more than two cups of liquid in one setting (but i'm a lightweight).

I had the 'unexpected' pleasure of sampling this wonderful plant while I was cruising home from NZ South Island 2 years ago. We stopped in at 'Mystery' island, the most southern island in Vanuatu, where apparently their 'kava' is amongst the strongest in the world. Me being the skeptic i am was cynical about whether i should pay $5 for a bowl of muddy water...best $5 i ever spent..It came on as the sign said...a cross between marijuana and alcohol....what they failed to tell me is that my lips and face would fuzz like cocaine upon ingestion. If you ask me...its like 3 drugs in one...

which if you ask me...is good bang for your buck...I had a pretty crook gut for a couple of days after, but i account that to the fact i ended up "befriending" a bunch of the locals and drinking several bowls of their "paste" rather than the diluted 'liquid' they serve tourists(they also tried and offered to give me a live plant that they wanted me to "grow in my country" however i'm sure P&O cruises would not have appreciated me bringing a scheduled plant back on their vessel or into my country.). (Ingognito...are you talking about Mr T by any chance?)

If anyone is growing this bad boy im on the Gold Coast Sth East QLD and have an assortment of goodies i would be willing to trade for a rooted cutting of this!

So is there ANY way to get decent Kava in Australia at the moment? I am very interested in trying some but it seems the government has made it quasi-illegal, how annoying. My understanding is that it's not actually illegal to possess in Aus? Or maybe even grow your own? I'm really not sure and I have been researching for several hours now. Little help please, cheers.

Could one give sum klin kava ( non instant) primarily for anti-anxiety effects. If capped up, wat dose u rekon be effective? considering 40mg of temazepam does bugger all

Could one give sum klin kava ( non instant) primarily for anti-anxiety effects. If capped up, wat dose u rekon be effective? considering 40mg of temazepam does bugger all

Where legal, I've found Klin Kava instant a first rate anti-anxiety solution with no issues around it compromising other aspects of my performance or clarity of thinking.

I don't cap it, I just sub-lingual 300- 350mg as required. Start with a smaller dose tho

Sorry, I don't have a dose for the non-instant

I found a packet of kava powder in Vinnies a few months ago. I asked them how much, and they said that they don't charge money for food, so it's free!

edit: Like plant helper said above, lots of people dismiss many a plant after trying it once..

I can say for certain that I will never touch Salvia again.

As for Kava I drank some when I was in Fiji with no effect. It was probably really weak and just for show.

Many years ago I drank a good 2 litres (or so it seemed) with little effect.

I wouldn't go out of my way to find Kava but would drink it if I came across it.