P1010003.jpg

P1000995.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1000961.jpg

P1000960.jpg

P1000959.jpg

P1000969.jpg

P1000992.jpg

acacia maidenii, not in the best shape, was given to me. should I provide a dry winter to her or leave on the roof? It was relatively freshly transplanted in that pot.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Awesome collection mate, what's the columnar cactus on the left in the second to last shot? Looks amazing, love the Astrophytum's as well. As far as the maidenii I'd give it plenty of sun, it'll love the water. If you've got the space put it in a bigger pot and it'll take off. Could become a shade tree if you wanted it to but it would need the root space. Sola

I expected to see houseleek growing out of your roof tiles when i read the thread topic. You wouldn't have much trouble with weeds in those conditions would you Mutant? Nice collection.

Edited by Casuarius

I'm very envious of the amount of space you have Mutant, and the variety and quality of your plants.

That Breast Myrti really does look like a green goddess, luring unsuspecting sailors to nibble at her bosom only to hook them with her nipple spines and drag them into the netherworld.

Wowzers!

Mutant I'm jealous of your jungle :P All of your cacti are so healthy

those peres are growing so aggressively and i love the foruth picture, Its a really nice spot you have over there

Thanks for sharing :lol:

wow, those are really nice vines dude

ani114.gif

what's the columnar cactus on the left in the second to last shot?

Myrtillocactus geometrizans "breast" montstrosa

re: acacia, I intend to leave it there and transplant after winter passes to soil, ouside, as I intend to do with other shits

thanks guys!

yeah the turbina is wild. This is a 3 year old plant from seed! It's very agressive, it has choked the argyreia with which they climbed together from the soil downstars [not the one you see in the pic, this is in a separate large container]. I intend to cut argyreia down next march too, to revitilise her maybe.

Has anyone done this? I mean cut down an argyreia leaving some eyes. When should I do it?

back to turbina, it's getting almost annoying the degree of agressiveness this plant has when it's actively growing. We will see how the pruning will go and decide from then on. Lots of leaf liter too, makes us anxious about the roof flooding.

• Like 1

there is always a certain magic with rooftop gardens, which is unique, even more so when it's a nice etho collection.

if you one time feel like doing something (new?) in your garden (i'm not saying you are lazy, i just think that gardening is different for people with fulltime jobs, than for retired gardeners), thats what i suggest.

pic one shows many tall peres, now because it's a rooftop garden there is no danger of them going wild,

but still i would chop all tips off and probagate them into small individual pots.

than you grow some lophs and graft. you got many tips there and they are the best probagation material.

it's probably aswell a good idea to prune back the peres, so you have smaller plants (easier to handle, less danger of injury) but your smaller plants would over time display far more tips, and tips are the precious thing needed for grafting. one could probably easely market even unrooted ~6cm peres tips.

there is always a certain magic with rooftop gardens, which is unique, even more so when it's a nice etho collection.

if you one time feel like doing something (new?) in your garden (i'm not saying you are lazy, i just think that gardening is different for people with fulltime jobs, than for retired gardeners), thats what i suggest.

pic one shows many tall peres, now because it's a rooftop garden there is no danger of them going wild,

but still i would chop all tips off and probagate them into small individual pots.

than you grow some lophs and graft. you got many tips there and they are the best probagation material.

it's probably aswell a good idea to prune back the peres, so you have smaller plants (easier to handle, less danger of injury) but your smaller plants would over time display far more tips, and tips are the precious thing needed for grafting. one could probably easely market even unrooted ~6cm peres tips.

LOL :P Evidence one should never post when under some kinda influence :wink:

lol

actually I treat these largeish pere pots [the also got selinicereus and some mesembryanthemus, and hey, the occasional weed] as motherplants to cut off when I want to make more plants to graft. In these pots one of them flowered! Neglecting a bit some of my plants is part of my slacky way of life and actually part of my plans. Beside you test them in endurance of rain and winter like this, you learn. That's why I want to have plants that go by them selves. And that's partly, I guess, why cacti where a bug for me, they don't need much care as long as they're established. Also , just like mushrooms, they're extreme. The same with vines. I have always took interest in extremity of every kind, and this is reflected in my naturalistic preferences and gardening style

You think perskiopsis might become a weed? Anyway, I am throwing away lots of pere, I have them everywhere. The pruning idea is not bad, I have pruned it a couple of times, but never very drastically. I have also put pere outside and I think it might make it. We will see.

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

mini-Columnar Euphorbias , as E.enopla

P1010071.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010067.jpg

pachanoi monstrosa

P1010073.jpg

seed grown 'pachanoi'

P1010060.jpg

• Like 1

damn bro, those turbina are massive! if you need to worry about anything being weedy its these. funny you mention roof flooding with fallen leaves. we cut down all our vines on our roof for that reason. they clog the drains when they go down and hit a bend. check your drain system on your roof :) its an expensive fix if your all concrete like here.

you got more pics of that roof the turbs are on? i REALLY want to have a green roof to park a chair or a mat under to chill. yours looks really nice for that!

hey didn't see that. I don't have any newer, but I update from time to time

P1010242.jpg

P1010225.jpg

The Turbina as budding. Lets see if they make it this year. if they can make seeds they might go become weddy weddy I guess.

Yeah we have to check the draining system alright. I will probably start pruning from next year. I will also probably prune argyreia back to the 8-19 first eyes. [the one which is strangled by turbina]

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

P1010416.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010414.jpg

P1010411.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010406.jpg

P1010407.jpg

P1010405.jpg

P1010408.jpg

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

how old are the vines, thats an amazing trunk

3,5 y.o. [marks are from cats probably]

• Like 1

glad this was bumped up

fell in love with your pachanoi monstrosa :blush:

i think a scopulicola monstrosa would look even more amazing

Edited by mac

very nice! turbina have the coolest stems when older. i keep all mine that die cause the stems are so neat. too bad even when dried and inches thick they are so bendy. i wanted to make a picture frame with one, but doesnt get hard enough.

very nice! turbina have the coolest stems when older. i keep all mine that die cause the stems are so neat. too bad even when dried and inches thick they are so bendy. i wanted to make a picture frame with one, but doesnt get hard enough

bugger they dont get hard enough. i've always wanted to make something out of big piece of brug.. maybe a walking stick.

my friend got a rain stick made from the core of a very old cactus

a lot of sticks are made from cacti, chollas :) they are sweet plants.

Brugmansia? they get kind of hard and big i thought. never dried them, but as bigger plants they seem sturdy as any. Turbina are still all bendy and wobbly even dried. be good to wrap around something or do something like that. i had mine fixed on top of our wedding photo, but my wife stuck it the truck of the car, so i took the hint. HBWR is hard, bu not super strong if its long for things like a walking stick....but vines are not really super for hard sticks anyway i guess lol. I bet you could do a walking stick with brugs...be neat idea. wonder how the wood looks.

I am working on a mango bong right now. gotta love wood.

has anyone heard if it would be all good to make gourd bongs?

i was keen to make lots of seashell cones but got told some nasty poisonous shit leaches off them with heat, which has made me a little cautious

you could, but many dont have very strong shells. the thing with gourds is they are "icides" dumps. if you spray a bunch of weird shit, they often get stored in the fruit. i remember reading an article a couple years ago about using pumpkins for taking left over DDT out of the soil.

Grow your own clean ones, shouldnt have a problem other than physical characteristics.