The Corroboree
solomon

Your experiences with BAP

i've recently ordered 20grams of bap from an online supplier and im REALLY excited about using this little gem.

after a bit of research i've decided to mix 2% bap with 98% lanolin and lightly heat up this mixture.

does anyone have any suggestions for a better mix (for cacti)?

and has anyone used this with peres, sally d, sceletium or other plants to induce branching

Edited by centipede

I have done many experiments with BAP and had mixed results, I do conclude it does most definitely induce pupping in plants that would not normally do so. However I don't see any reason to use it on plants such as Trichos, Sally or even Catha. These plants grow and branch rapidly and don't need the help. Trichos tend to pup from the base readily and the BAP just makes more pups and this slows growth dramatically due to the increased load. I can see the use for BAP in slow growing plants or plants that tent to grow solitary, inducing branching/pupping could help increase numbers more easily.

No need to heat it, just mix thoroughly with a match stick or whatever and put in the fridge.

Assuming the bap is almost 100% then 2% will be wayyyyy to much, 1000pm is about right for plants. 2% is 20,000ppm and will not be optimal or beneficial.

HN

• Like 2

I've been BAP-ing my cactus plants for about a year now with tremendous results. Everything I BAP pups like crazy. LW's, melted wax tricho's, variegated peruvianus, TBM's, etc. I use it for propagation of rarer species and forcing pups. I mix at an obscene ppm, roughly 50% BAP (powder) by weight & 50% lanolin. This gets nuked in the microwave to make it easier to mix together, then cooled off before applying.

Once BAP'd, it may take up to 6 months to see results, and not every BAP'd aerole pups.

If you want branching in sally, peres, or scelly, all you need to do is cut the stem where you want it to branch. Those plants branch naturally as it is.

On the melted wax pedro below, notice 3 new pups that were forced with BAP & several visible aeroles that haven't pupped. The pup on the right looks like it may result in normal melted wax growth. Since the center pup is pupping like crazy, I'll use it as a source to graft the smaller pups to peres.

post-3765-128778793194_thumb.jpg

There are dozens of threads at the nook in the cacti forum on using BAP.

• Like 1

just sit the lanolin in a bowl in another bowl of hot water so it melts and then stir the powder through.

I've been BAP-ing my cactus plants for about a year now with tremendous results. Everything I BAP pups like crazy. LW's, melted wax tricho's, variegated peruvianus, TBM's, etc. There are dozens of threads at the nook in the cacti forum on using BAP.

did you get variegated pups?

Old thread I know, But I just got some Bap and although I tried not to go mad I have Bapped the crap out of a few plants lol. Anyone got any updates advice?

I mainly wanted it for TBMs and a TPM not sure how that will work out for me but fingers crossed.

Did you find the powder within oz, stillman?

nah man California off ebay Came in like 5 days. and cheap as. I just hope it works.

You could probably find it in OZ but was easier off sure. Admittedly I wasn't looking real hard. Centipede I used the same ratio as you.

Edited by Stillman

What lanolin did you buy to mix it with? I just ordered some BAP off eBay last week and some lanolin to mix it with but the lanolin I got is hard refined chunks like bits of candle wax , does anyone know if this would be ok to use?

Edited by mushroomman

Thanks Still, was wondering if there would have been any troubles getting it into the country, jumped on the same one you bought. Always feel sketchy importing chems lol. Very interesting stuff, i cant wait to see results!

Edited by Goldtop

You need pure lanolin, wool fat. I got it ordered through from the chemist. I think its used as a base for some balms? I was cheap.

You need pure lanolin, wool fat. I got it ordered through from the chemist. I think its used as a base for some balms? I was cheap.

Was the lanolin you got from the chemist a solid or a thick gel?

The lanolin needs to be heated into a liquid to mix the BAP in properly.

And you don't need lanolin. It's just used to mix in the BAP and so it sticks to the plant I believe. Heard you can use pan grease, butter etc.

It was really expensive for me cos I bought it from the pharmacy. Lots of asian dairies stock it for cheap.

Or go make some sheep charas :)

worked on every cactus I applied it to. Only the pups on the pachanoi crests stalled.

• Like 1

I use

Lansinoh - Lanolin Breast Cream

works wonders ! :P

I use a small pill bottle, squirt in some nipple cream then just nuke it in the MW until it's hot, never does liquefy, mix in the BAP and its good to go.

• Like 1

Have problems getting BAP for sale in germany. Any ideas where i can get it? Not even sure if i can get it in apotecaries.

Edited by Evil Genius

If it's all good to import from out of the EU you are welcome to some EG.

Can't find the place I got mine from :unsure: Global Ebay should have it too

Edited by centipede

I use

I use a small pill bottle, squirt in some nipple cream then just nuke it in the MW until it's hot, never does liquefy, mix in the BAP and its good to go.

Cool, my GF has some of that I'll get her to find it and use that :)

Edited by mushroomman

I never used BAP

but that doesnt discourage me from having an opinion

so

people BAPping trichocerei has me think people never owned a decent pachanoi like my kk339 that pups as a fuck

or that because many people live in verycold climates, the growing period is pretty small, so their trichos pup only once or twice during that time... but I am not at all sure bapping can increase propagation rates, making more plants in less time. I doubt that.

I mean what the hell are you gonna earn off a super pupping cactus with no strength to grow the pups...

it would only be a good idea IMO for rare non-pupping cacti to induce pups and then take them to graft....

that is , I support hellonasty's post

I agree to an extent Mutant but think of the possibility on a grafted TBM.Or an awesome one off hybrid that you don't want to cut up to graft. I'm using it to induce pupping on Tillandsias also to increase limbs so improve shape on topped Adeniums. It's not just cacti its a very interesting plant hormone. I'll tell you how I go from my own experience in a couple months.

Edited by Stillman

sorry mutant, but I totally disagree with you.

people BAPping trichocerei has me think people never owned a decent pachanoi like my kk339 that pups as a fuck

what does BAPing a variegated TBM or variegated T. peruvianus have to do with owning a decent pachanoi?

I think it's widely accepted that not all species of trichocereus pup at the same rate as others, and for you to say a reason people BAP their plants is because they dont own a

decent pachanoi like my kk339 that pups as a fuck
is insanity and blatant ignorance at its finest.

I never used BAP

but that doesnt discourage me from having an opinion

By having not traveled down the road of BAPing experience, your opinion is meaningless & worthless, without merit.

but I am not at all sure bapping can increase propagation rates, making more plants in less time. I doubt that.

Had you personally applied BAP to variegated aeroles and witnessed new variegated pups at those aeroles you would have no doubts whatsoever.regarding propagation rates.

If you doubt the results other people obtain, why dont you take it upon yourself to prove them wrong by performing the same experiment yourself?

Are you afraid your results will prove you wrong?

Then and only then will your opinions have any meaning or merits.

I mean what the hell are you gonna earn off a super pupping cactus with no strength to grow the pups..

This is where an intelligent person would graft the pups onto a much faster growing rootstock.

As for earnings, ask EG what he paid for a variegated TBM pup. :P

Please follow the thread title.....YOUR EXPERIENCES with BAP. :wink:

Observe that the thread title doesnt say anything about your opinions.

There is a very informative thread at the nook with lots of photo's relating to BAP. Page seven where it has been used on the crest is quite interesting.

http://www.thenook.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=58223&st=0

I'd be keen to try some on my pachanoi crest come spring time.

• Like 1

I use

Would you know how long it stays good for once mixed?

The only thing the lanolin is doing is providing a means to adhere the bap chemical to the aerole for an extended period of time. Once mixed, its been my experience the mixture stays active indefinitely.

Not all bapped aeroles react in the same time frame, I've had some take up to a yr to produce new pups, even on very large plants growing in the ground.

• Like 1

Zelly I find yr answer needlessly agressive.

i could argue a bit on my points, but truth is my opinion is not as strong as yours, in fact I dont think we even disagree, BAP seems like a fine solution to propagate cacti that dont pup a lot through grafting....

you might as well encouraged me to get some bap to use on a variegated ferocactus.

• Like 2