The Corroboree
J Smith

Favourite Trich fallen

So I scored this seed grown trich about 9 months ago from a nursery in Taree for 30 bucks. It was approx. 110 cms in a tiny pot and when I repotted it into something bigger it threw out an extra 15 cms and 2 base pups. I gave it it's first small water after winter 2 weeks ago as the pups had started to grow.

I came home today to find this...

post-4739-128635439755_thumb.jpg

Bummer.

so sad.

quite a nice specimen

could one possibly graft the broken head back on to the base? maybe thats a stupid question, im new to grafting.

Edited by centipede

Was it from wind?

could one possibly graft the broken head back on to the base? maybe thats a stupid question, im new to grafting.

nah the growth is to old , and the vascular tissue too woody... wouldnt take

Edited by blowng

so sad.

quite a nice specimen

No you would just cut it above and below the break let the top cut root and the bottom becomes your pup factory.

Pfffffttt, that's nothing.....Imagine coming home & finding this....

post-3765-128641044292_thumb.jpg

Wow, what is the story behind that one?

thats huuuge!!!

SHITE!!!!

At least it wasn't that bad!

hey mate, the same thing happened to one of my Trichs, i simply folded it back and splinted it, it grew normally from then on....ill take pics tomorrow and show you the callous.

Wow, what is the story behind that one?

I heard about it from a friend of a friend and drove by & took a few pictures.

The hypothesis is that since it grew next to that wall, it was naturally shielded on one side from the wind etc and as such didn't develop the structural integrity to withstand a 100 year windstorm. The close proximity to the wall prevented growth on that side so all new growth occurred on the side opposite of the wall to the extent it got too big & overbalanced that it eventually fell over.

I told the homeowner I'd clean the mess up for free, but he only let me take a few stems for propagating purposes :angry:

chop the bejesus out of it and propagate. replant the tip cut.

chop the bejesus out of it and propagate. replant the tip cut.

Noooooooo didnt you hear what i did ? !!!

Still waiting on those pics mr B.caapi, how far through the core was it?

The hypothesis is that since it grew next to that wall, it was naturally shielded on one side from the wind etc and as such didn't develop the structural integrity to withstand a 100 year windstorm. The close proximity to the wall prevented growth on that side so all new growth occurred on the side opposite of the wall to the extent it got too big & overbalanced that it eventually fell over.

Besides it's natural method of prop., I reckon i'm having problems like this over the last couple of months, particularly when given a good dose of water, some wall ones are going great, but i think their positions catch the wind and thicken up, the ones being more sheltered seem to have very little structural integrity, they are all different clones/species so it's hard to tell if its genetic or environmental, maybe a bit of both, i don't have cuts of the problem plants planted elsewhere for comparison at the moment. Luckily these plants haven't snapped, just found them bent @ 90 +degrees a few times.

Ok, heres the pic of the "Cuzco" i was talkin about. It was basically snapped through, the only thing holding it on was the outer skin. Like i said, i folded it back up and splinted it, and it was fine. The intersting thing is that it has now a faster growth rate than the other seedlings of the same age.

P1010230.jpg

probably would have thickened it's vascular rings eh? Might explain the increased growth, like a overly dramatic fairly instant result as what would normally be achieved via tearing and repairing from wind? good photo caapi.

Ok, heres the pic of the "Cuzco" i was talkin about. It was basically snapped through, the only thing holding it on was the outer skin. Like i said, i folded it back up and splinted it, and it was fine. The intersting thing is that it has now a faster growth rate than the other seedlings of the same age.

Damn I wish I'd thought of that. I just chopped it off as soon as I saw that it had fallen.

I've done some investigation work this weekend on the stump and there aren't many roots on the side away from the fall. I'm guessing that it wasn't sufficiently rooted in the larger pot, and the extra growth made it reach the point of no return - either uproot itself and fall over or snap and fall over.

I'm going to stake any future plants of that size if they come from a tiny pot.

Edited by madhouses visites

HAH had a good meter +, main column of pedro snap on me this afternoon! One of the wall ones, probably the on that gets the least wind stress.em

Damn you guys must of been spewing. I had a nice Peruvianus that also was tall and in a pot. However being scared of spiders i noticed a redback a dew cms from my hand and panicked which left the Peruvianus to fend for itself against gravity and the end result was a snaped Trich :( Now they have a shit load of pups and its even better to look at lol