The Corroboree
Sedation Nation

Psychotria Viridis or Nexus?

Long time lurker, 1st time poster smile.gif

Just wanted to know if a mate in Peru should grow Viridis or Nexus? Apparently Nexus is fast growing and more magical than Viridis according to one experience report on another forum.

I have done plenty of research on Viridis although it's the lack of experience with Nexus among the community or at least the lack of info posted which is making me think twice between the two.

Edited by planthelper
added tag

In Peru I would suggest viridis - this is the traditional plant used as an admixture there and most reports I've read put its strength above nexus. However, in a cooler climate nexus does a lot better whereas viridis can be a pain to keep alive, let alone growing vigorously. Viridis is great for tropical climates, nexus is the one to go for in more temperate regions.

As you've probably read, it's reasonably easy to propagate a bunch of Psychotrias once you have one or two growing nicely, since you can propagate from leaves using a simple technique. You could start with one plant and look after it well, be patient, and use its leaves to prop a lot of new plants.

• Like 1

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 2

If you are refering to that "experience" report on EBA, The whole report read suspect to me, like the guy had a vested interest in promoting this plant. Funny how that person didnt come back later

with any follow up and only made a handful of posts talking it up and how no one else has posted the same.

Im pretty sure the lack of user posts from that person was a case of keeping anonymity rather than sales promotion :rolleyes: . The lack of reports probably has alot to do with aussie forums having no incrimination as rules

Thankfully some people are still helping to add to the community knowledge base

• Like 2

so people who critize a plant get now voted down?

let's keep that discussion non biased, but aswell, all of us are entitled to ther own opinon.

some people think it works ok, and thats alright.

i am not convinced it's a strong strain, because one of the parent is close to inactive.

i will not change my mind about genetics, just because people writte it was ok.

oh, mandel was wrong about breeding, haha, no trip report can change genetics laws.

its true, the dud parent is easier to grow, but would you cultivate an almost inactive cannabis strain, just because it grows a bit better??

maybe nexus is stronger than viridis, but if that is the case, than it would have to be as difficult to grow as a viridis.

i think that, the "thickness" of the psychotria leaf is an indicator of it's strengh,

i saw and inspected, old established psychotria carthaginensis plants and they had "thinish" leaves, whilst viridis has "thicker" leaves.

if nexus has thicker leaves than a psychotria carthaginensis than that would be a good sign,in my humble opinon.

• Like 1

would you cultivate an almost inactive cannabis strain, just because it grows a bit better??

People grow Wally Ducksfoot and Aussie Bastard Cannabis because it grows differently. It is reportedly low on the activity scale.

• Like 1

so people who critize a plant get now voted down?

let's keep that discussion non biased, but aswell, all of us are entitled to ther own opinon.

some people think it works ok, and thats alright.

i am not convinced it's a strong strain, because one of the parent is close to inactive.

i will not change my mind about genetics, just because people writte it was ok.

oh, mandel was wrong about breeding, haha, no trip report can change genetics laws.

its true, the dud parent is easier to grow, but would you cultivate an almost inactive cannabis strain, just because it grows a bit better??

maybe nexus is stronger than viridis, but if that is the case, than it would have to be as difficult to grow as a viridis.

i think that, the "thickness" of the psychotria leaf is an indicator of it's strengh,

i saw and inspected, old established psychotria carthaginensis plants and they had "thinish" leaves, whilst viridis has "thicker" leaves.

if nexus has thicker leaves than a psychotria carthaginensis than that would be a good sign,in my humble opinon.

Just because someone plays to your ego is that a reason to agree?....

Have you tried Nexus Planthelper?

• Like 2

Grow many different clones and seek out the most potent one, very little selective breeding has been done with Psychotria and this work really needs to be done!

Grow many different clones and seek out the most potent one, very little selective breeding has been done with Psychotria and this work really needs to be done!

Thats ALOT of work Teotz! That sort of research would walk a rather fine legal line here in OZ as well. Some plant breeding knowledge and experience as well as the necessary infrastructure would be conducive to any positive outcome of such an undertaking. A sound scientific approach would be methodical and thorough. Genetics is a science after all.

Then there is GHETTO science... more than once way to skin a cat, depends how your brain is wired I guess. Logical or spiritual.

Personally I would put more faith in the findings from a scientific approach.

EDIT: In case anyone is jumping to conclusions... No I'm not an aetheist. I just look at creation like an engineer looks at a structure... Some how this convo has ended up at religion :scratchhead: My brain hurts :unsure:

Edited by Harry

I think a combination of careful scientific breeding as well as simple selection of positive traits in psychoactive crops by gardeners and farmers to be the best solution.... point being... we need to get to work on some of these plants!

For example... plants like Kava and Cannabis and highly, highly selectively breed while plants like Psychotria viridis and Iboga have little or no selected cultivars.

Edited by Casuarius

Results on the DMT yield of both Psychotria "nexus" and Psychotria virids

Turns out that P. "nexus" has a DMT yeild 70% that of P. viridis.

The P. "nexus" was grown for 10 and a half months and pruned right back' date=' harvesting a total of 501g wet weight in leaves. This dried down to 143g and a lextek_v1 extraction produced a total of 1.11g DMT with a yield of 0.77% DMT.

The P. viridis was harvested off large mature plants and produced a yield of 1.1% DMT.

So it looks like the P. "nexus" is a mighty sweet plant. The next step is to assess growth rates to determine if the increased growth of P. "nexus" outstrips the increased DMT yield of P. viridis. I figure this is likely to change dramatically the further south she is grown so it depends on the grower and their location. Further extractions would also determine if P. "nexus" increases her yield with age.

• Like 1

Heya rahli nice yield info bud! :drool2:

Whats the source of that information? Is the heading supposed to be a link? Its not working if its is.

Thanks for straightening that out for me tripis.

It would be great to get more valid opinions on actual experience with the Nexus clone before urban myth seeks to destroy her. I know she will always have pride of place in my garden.

It will be interesting to see if her flowers produce viable seed and if so determine the variation displayed in the offspring.

gerbil is currently doing a fine job at determining the hardness of the clone in the southern winter climes. Trials with nexus planted in the ground have shown that the clone can recover well after experiencing the 2010 Melbourne winter (please correct me if I'm wrong gerbil).

So get to it folks, there is plenty of work to be done and going from the information gathered so far there is much to be gained both individually and for the ethnobotanical community as a whole.

I recently picked one up, we'll see how it does in Tassie.

An alba I bought back in '09 does fine - pot grown in a greenhouse and indoors in winter. Never tested to see if it could survive a winter exposed. I've done some cloning so it might be interesting to put one outside in the ground for curiosity.

Edited by Casuarius

Fair call Casuarius.

But fear not until it has been determined if she produces viable seed. I'll keep you up to date.

I've already harvested, planted and germinated a heap of true viridis seeds and will not be interested in taking any berries from the birds until my Brazilian seed grown are flowering. I'm sure it will be easy enough to remove nexus flowers, as I'm sure you plan on doing, when producing viridis seed for collection.

Good luck with your psychotria breeding Casuarius. I trust you will be very calculating in you direction as most plant breeders are.

Edited by rahli

Edited by Casuarius

If Nexus had 2 active parents it wouldnt be as much of a concern, but when one parent isnt then it can be a bit of a worry

That's an extremely biased and drug-oriented view to take. You seem to care little for the conservation of the plants themselves and more about the conservation of plants which contain psychoactive compounds. Not surprising considering the leanings on most on the boards, but disappointing to see nonetheless.

After the last couple of hot days in Melbourne (7 & 8 Jan), my nexus was the only plant feeling the heat, leaves all droopy, my alba, viridis, carth all in the same enviroment looked fine

Hola Rahli

My previous comment was a bit brief i think, im a bit pressed for time at the moment but i should probably explain a bit better.

I think nexus is a good idea for cold climates, and being a fellow plant breeder i can emphasise with the hard work darren has put in to creating this plant @ herbalistics.

Its a shame others are now taking his work and selling it (gomaos) Its not exactly hard to make cuttings from a psychotria, its a shitload harder to make hybrids tho and i feel gomaos has no shame in selling other peoples work. The plants dont look upon those that use them for money with fond eyes and sometimes i feel that eba is like one big gomaos store for his plants and ebay account when you read through threads there.

However the context of this thread was really "in peru" but i think we both know its really not about that. But im sure you can agree that a plant like nexus getting loose in the amazon could pose serious threats to wild landrace stocks of other psychotrias. Its a bit like how indica and skunk hybrids pose a threat to true landrace cannabis sativas. If Nexus had 2 active parents it wouldnt be as much of a concern, but when one parent isnt then it can be a bit of a worry.

You also raise a good point about how we dont know if the seeds a viable and thats true, I think darren should of tested this first before releasing the plant myself - but thats his call and my opinion.

Your flowering pics i checked out and they are nice - Great job there amigo. Mine started flowering a month (synchrosity rahli??) ago but i cut it right back so i will be following your progress with interest with it. Just dont let it contaminate those beautifal brazilian chacrunas of yours ok!

Im not dissing nexus, its a plant that has a purpose and it looks like its going to serve its intended purpose well so good on darren :)

I just think we all need to be carefull with what we do with mother nature, even when its good intended.

Saludos

I tend to agree with much of what you are saying. Thanks for your input.

Why not just use more chacruna leaves if you want stronger effects?

Ask that question to a person with a limited grow space.... of course they would want to grow the strongest clone to get the most "bang for their buck" so to speak.