The Corroboree
Amazonian

Pet dogs.

^ haha amazonian my dogs love eating things that arent food aswell. About 2 weeks ago i saw some poo in the yard that looked like it had chunks of tomato or something in it. I hosed it in and the chunks didnt dissolve at all. turns out it was pieces of some sort of bright red hard silicon or rubber from a chew toy they got like a month ago that had dissapeared. atleast now i know what happened to it

• Like 1

One of my all time best friends Till died two days ago. it's still hard to get my head & heart around it.. it happened so quick.

she, wouldn't eat her dinner friday night, then the next day she did, but she was still looking pretty down, the next day she didn't eat again & started wheezing & coughing, i thought she might have a bone stuck in her throat as she had been getting into some road kill the day she started seeming ill..

monday morning she wouldn't get up so we took her to the vet, thinking it wouldn't be too serious.. turns out she had a huge agressive tumor in her throat, one more day & she wouldn't have been able to breathe, they had to give her a tracheostomy so she could breathe as the anxiety of being at the vet made it worse :( it was inoperable & we really had no choice but to have her put down as she couldn't breathe & there was nothing we could do. she died laying in my lap.

i've never been hit so hard by the death of a pet, she really was one of the absolute best friends that i have ever had, she's been with me for a third of my life.. i picked her out as a pup, instantly i just knew she was the one & we always had a very special bond.. i will miss her more than i could ever express, more than i would miss many humans in my life, harsh as it may sound, it's true.

love ya Till, rest in peace my beautiful friend, will catch you on the other side a little later on

post-2376-0-59324800-1370411025_thumb.jp

IMG_3898_3.JPG

IMG_3898_3.JPG

• Like 4

i've never been hit so hard by the death of a pet, she really was one of the absolute best friends that i have ever had, she's been with me for a third of my life.. i picked her out as a pup, instantly i just knew she was the one & we always had a very special bond.. i will miss her more than i could ever express, more than i would miss many humans in my life, harsh as it may sound, it's true.

Aw... Sorry paradox :( . Of course you are hit hard by her death. That pain reminds us that dogs (pets) are beings too.

How old was Till ?

My dogs are my best friends too, so i know where you are coming from.

Think of the good times with Till, and be happy she chose you to spend her life with. : )

• Like 1

sorry paradox, [fuk that post hit me hard] my best mate died 1 year ago, i cried for days, took a week of work.. it still fuken hurts.. i can only now just talk bout him and look @ our pics together without dropping to my knees!!!! we got him cremated....

BULLIT WAS HES NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Very sorry to hear that mate, hard to describe to people who don't have pets how strong the bond can be between a man/woman and their dog.

I have lost two amasing Bull terriers in my life and it is the only time I cry.

Sounds like your friend had a good life and you will be all the richer for having had her in your life.

Getafix

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 2

thanks so much guys, & thanks for sharing your stories it means heaps! i'm really sorry for your losses too! i guess you always know that you will lose them but that doesn't really help all that much with the hurt, especially when they go before they're old.. it seems true sometimes that only the good die young!

amz, till was nearly 10, so not exactly young, but i thought i'd get another 5 years with her.. & yeah it was only ever good times with her so i won't be able to forget :)

bullit, i feel ya mate! i can see you're a true dog person & your story really strikes a chord, especially now i know the story of your sab name, i'm sorry brother! yeah i have to be honest & say that today is the first day i haven't basically broken down & had an all out wailing sob.. it really helps just to let it out.. & yeah getafix, it's pretty much the only time i've cried in a long time, since losing another person i love dearly..

thanks again guys, i'm definitely not ready yet & doubt i will be for a while but perhaps in the future if i find another good friend i will share some pics here, no one could replace till, but a friends a friend & after knowing till i know a dog can make one of the best ones we can have

• Like 3

a while ago the vet diagnosed our dog ellie as having bone cancer and said she would have no more than a couple of months to live. We were all so upset as she really is part of oour family. I thought that i would never get another dog after she was gone, as it just hurts to much to loose them. Then i saw this, as tacky as it is, and it really made me re think that.

a-dogs-last-will.jpg

Fortunately Ellie is all good now, but it really made me think. Id quite easy turn into a crazy dog man (hillbilly version of a crazy cat lady)

• Like 7

billioz dude awesum!!

maybe it's time. my last german shepard destroyed me when she left............mum and i agreed not to leave her at the vets. so we brought her home and i buried her under the (now massive) lemon tree. everytime i visit me maa i pick a big,fat juicy lemon and smile.

• Like 5

i had to get one of my best friends put to sleep a couple of years ago. she was only 6 years old and ended up with lymphatic cancer that couldnt be cured. The vet told me that it was probably caused from using frontline for fleas and ticks. apparently that stuff is really bad, so i hope nobody else will use it on their dogs. If i knew that before, i would rather put up with a few fleas around the place and still have layla

• Like 1

ah shit coolname, i'm sorry mate

your story has freaked me out a little.. i'm not sure if tills tumor was in the lymph nodes but it very much could have been as it was in her throat :( i don't know if i should tell my mum what you said about the frontline because she used to put it on till & that would absolutely wrack her with guilt if she knew it might be that! argh :( i think just a good regular check over & groom in tick season is the way to go, though till lived right in the bush so it is a tough choice i guess..

:(

• Like 1

thanks paradox. yeah laylas cancer started from a couple of lumps in her throat then spread through her body. and yeah you shouldnt tell your mum that. but its not her fault. i felt so bad when the vet told me because i used to use it on layla all the time, so i felt like i was the one who caused it back then. but i assumed i was doing the right thing. so now i just wash my dogs if they get fleas and have told everyone i know who has dogs to stay away from frontline

• Like 2

but apparently flea and tick collars are safe to use according to my vet

sorry bout ya mate coolname, frontline is a very old drug, it does work anymore .. there r alot more better and safe treatments on the market now, ie 1 treatment can do it all now kill the cycle of fleas kill ticks, worms etc, i highly recommend using it if u live around bushy areas or where there is alot of wildlife, bandicoots,roos,rabbits or cows etc!!!

i think its also due to the food we feed our dogs . new skool dogfood with artificial shit and sooo on<> sorry i cant write what i am tring to say :unsure: cancer in dogs can b the same as humans like our dna ...... sorry again

Edited by bullit
  • Like 3

A friend just sent me this pic of my old dog Billie and my first daughter ( my daughter is now 16 ) :)

1005742_10152089598198327_454683582_n.jp

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen
  • Like 6

:0 I use frontline on my pup! Is there any real evidence to prove it gives dogs cancer?? Why would vets advise and sell it??

What is the alternative u recommend bullit??

Yes there is a lot of evidence proving that flea and tick control can be quite dangerous to animals.
I am personally of the opinion that unless your animals frequents high risk areas they should only be used as a last resort and not as a first line preventative.

After having a handful of our dogs comedown with seizures and illnesses after using a flea control product (this was in the 80's) my family has always used garlic in the diet and essential oils on the coat along with manual removal unless there is a big outbreak or the dog has a bad allergy to them.

Ive heard many bad stories about them at dog shows when the subject is brought up and if you have a look on google there are lots of blogs and pages devoted to warning about the dangers of them.

Edited by AndyAmine.

Fuck!

That being said, there are millions of dogs and cats all around the world that seem to have relatively little harm done to them by using these products so I think, give it a shot without them, try some natural and manual methods and if they work then tops but if they dont work for you look at trying the heavier stuff when you need it?

You may find that you hardly need to worry about it other than a few picked off here and there,

One thing I didnt know until a few years ago is that fleas live in soil and use animals more for transport and temporary housing more than as their preferred place to live and breed.

I was clearing some shaded, weed covered ground for a cactus bed and I noticed all these black things bouncing up out of the soil, I couldnt figure out what they were until I caught one and they were bloody huge and absolutely everywhere!

A few hours after getting some I was covered in bites from head to toe.

So you have to be careful of your animals rolling around in infested dirt because if its a hot spot the ground can thousands of them in a square meter.

Edited by AndyAmine.

What is the alternative u recommend bullit??

like i said frontline is an old skool drug... there r a few like advantage,revolution that work well killing the fleas and the cycle.. but the best 1 is comfortis http://www.comfortis.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

@ andy everything was bad in the 80's lol b4 frontline they used that shit they dip cows in 4 ticks :BANGHEAD2: and garlic like onions is bad for dogs!!daily checks is the best method 4 ticks<> i lost bullit to a tick in the fuken cold ass winter we had millions in his life b4 this cunt fucken cunt!!!! i didnt treat my dogs in winter but now i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bullit

Garlic has been used in dog treats and treatments for centuries, just need to be careful with the amount.

We fed it to a kennel of x20 GSD's for a good 15yrs with no complaints and just recently with Mr.Blonde, he loved the stuff and I didnt need to flea treat him while he was here other than manual removal.

In comparison to the alternative Ill go with the garlic.

As long as they dont eat a lot of it its fine, onions on the other hand I wouldnt feed a dog any of.

Here’s a guide on the garlic levels safe for dogs, based on a dog’s weight:

Fresh Garlic (from The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn)

10 to 15 pounds: .5 clove

20 to 40 pounds: 1 clove

45 to 70 pounds: 2 cloves

75 to 90 pounds: 2.5 cloves

100 pounds +: 3 cloves

Edited by AndyAmine.

Thanks for the tips guys u can't upload a pic of my puppy as I only have iPhone Access and pics are to big

garlic wont kill fleas or stop ya dog getting them sorry :blink: if ya take ya hound everwhere with ya like the beach, bushwalkz,ya mates, to the pub,dog parks etc it will get fleas :wink:

No it doesnt kill fleas, it is a preventative and repellant.
In my personal experience it does work but if it hasn't for you then I don't discount that. Thats what anecdotal evidence is all about.

Speaking of which, a quick search with google will show that there is quite a lot of anecdotal and evidence to suggest that it does work along with being a good general health tonic, antifungal and antiparasitic

Anyway, Im just suggesting it as an alternative thats worked for me and my family because its also ethnobotany forum and all.

http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-shocking-truth-about-dogs-and-garlic/

Edited by AndyAmine.