The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Ethnobotanical Office Plant

Can I get a cutting? It looks awesome.

Complete regeneration? As in its leaves heal? That's fuckin cool.

u have 3 choices

1. yes but i have to wait until mine grows enough to take cuttings/ and or the wether is right

2. Go to bunnings and see if they have one isn stock

3. get me to go to bunnings and see if there are any near me

Pm me if u need my help

I'll check Bunnings, no need to annoy you unless it's nescessary

come on apoth i remeber your setup inside a computer caseing...

so why don't you fix a small fluro setup somewhere? like this you could grow everything you want again and your colleges will like you for it aswell.

i mean the pleasure one recieves from plants has a direct connection with the type of plant.

a boring plant will give you boring feedback, whilst some viridis next to lophs will kick ass.

this miniture set up would be ideal for raising seedlings, imagen you sprout lago, you and your workmates would go bonkers over it.

it's an energie thing, i hope you get my drift, otherwise go and put a diefenbachia there, but than don't expect me to think the same of you as before...

your work ethnics will go hand in hand with what type of plant you will grow, so make it something good to get back something good.

or did your boss punish you by relocating you into this dark location? so don't let him/her get the better of you, LET IT GROW and let it be an example for the people around you, specially because they are csiro.

[ 14. July 2005, 08:08: Message edited by: planthelper ]

planthelper, the problem is that all electrical wiring has to be up to snuff to electrical codes, and is checked frequently.

While I'm confident of my wiring skills (considering the computer case has been operating for almost a year without fault), I'm fairly sure it doesn't meet the standard that my workplace requires.

Do you think if I could I wouldn't be convert my entire office to a garden? :D

I just got back from smogs house, with two brug cuttings in hand. I rescued a couple of nameless plants from Big W today and will pot them up. When my tax return comes, I'll order a few lophs from darcy.

Trust me brother, if I could do more, I would :)

[ 14. July 2005, 09:31: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Well, Torsten's Loph. loves my desk.

It's about 6metres from the nearest, tinted, window. And it has a computer monitor in-between the cactus and the window aswell, so it basically receives no direct sunlight at all.

It's growing great guns!

An indoor plant that's definitely ethnobotanical, but unfortunately not psychoactive, try wasabi ( Wasabia japonica ). You know, the one that makes the hot green paste you get with Japanese food.

It loves low light conditions ( 70% shade ) and is really happy in a self watering pot. It would love the lower temps of aircon tho I'm not sure about lower humidity aircon brings. We have a couple indoor doing famously.

It mightn't produce high quality roots under these circumstances though it will certainly produce leaves suitable for salads etc. Leaves aren't as spicy and hot as the root but are yummy nonetheless.

A colleague has left us with a shitload of wasabi plants: unfortunately we can't crop here due to the high temperatures ( 35C +) . At the moment we're experimenting with the possibilities this sp offers and indoor is showing up best so far. We're thinking of releasing them for sale in autumn next year, depends on demand :)

Yeah one of mine has died from the heat but the other is still hanging in just.I might dig her up and bring her back inside I think.

Traditionally they were farmed adjacent cool running creeks in pits with a mix of large to small rocks and topped with sand.The water was diverted in through the medium supplying cool fresh water.

Typical growing temps were 8-18 deg C.

I reckon they'd do alright in perlite pots flood and drain style inside though.

edit:there's actually NO wasbi in wasbi paste from woolies, it's 76% horseradish and some other artificial shit

- Piper betle (there some varieties including red-silver leaves)

- Acorus calamus (it's aromatic, too.. will do well in vase with some water at the base)

I recommend a nice cactus (duh) :)

I like this thread and wanted to resurrect it.

Has anyone got anything interesting in their office?

Or even the home. What are people's favourite full-time indoor specimens?

Any wisdom on keeping your babies healthy in an A/C, low-light environment?

I liked Revs suggestions of Zamioculcas, Lithops and Pleiospilos. I'll keep my eyes out for Pleiospilos and Zamioculcas, never heard of them before.

Edited by MORG

In the end I snipped a bit off a hedge plant which looked to be Coleus blumei cultivar...it grew terribly in the second office and I brought it home for a much happier life.

New office is not an office at all and no plants allowed :P

Edited by Sina

Has anyone got anything interesting in their office?

Or even the home. What are people's favourite full-time indoor specimens?

Any updates?

I have a loph grafted on peres which is growing very well on my office desk.

Office environment has fluoros on all day and little bit of indirect sunlight - seems to love it, even with air conditioning.

Nothing at work but my Morningsun window has Capsicum Pubescens which are doing well and only reduced in size by a third compared to a greenhouse specimen.

Other stuff i try this year is a Dioscorea Elephantipes,this too has it's siblings in the greenhouse and yet unlike those has not gone dormant.

I got a modestly sized Gerrardanthus Macrorhyzus earlier in the year and it's lump does not seem to be shrinking so it's vining stems must be returning as much as they are taking.

A Cryptocereus is existing where a zig zag Epiphylum failed and also a Maidens wattle from seed bought in '97.

I also bought a Desfontainia for the window but relented and put it outdoors.

In my office I've got A. obtusifolia seedlings growing in one of those little plastic seed-germinating houses from Bunnings. They'll probably move out in Spring. I've got some ornamentals too, like succulents, figs, some weird red-leafed thing from Aldi, a dwarf palm, a sage, a cyclamen and something called Asarum canadense that I bought from a nursery cos I'd never heard of nor seen it before. Turns out the A. canadense was used in traditional native-American medicine.

I know this is a very old thread but I'd read it before and just saw something cute & geeky you may appreciate for your desk! A USB powered Greenhouse!

Does it grow real plants? It kinda looks like it just 'grows' 'virtual' plants.

It kinda looks like it just 'grows' 'virtual' plants.

Yeah, seems like a vegetative Tamagotchi.

I'm gonna buy it and grow virtual Salvia, Kratom and Erythroxylem.

I'll be selling virtual cuttings if all goes well.

Yeah, seems like a vegetative Tamagotchi.

I'm gonna buy it and grow virtual Salvia, Kratom and Erythroxylem.

I'll be selling virtual cuttings if all goes well.

Couldnt work that one out myself - the description says "sow your own seeds" and it's dimensions are 220 (H) x 170(W)mm so I thought it might have been a mini hydro type set up like those portable self contained units - who knows!!! - could be a bit of fun regardless!

They also had USB vaporisers - they could prove to be very interesting at work :lol:

Edited by FNF72

hi everybody, well the other day i was at a friends new rental house and we were tidying up the backyard and randomly near the fence amongst the patchy lawn was a nice looking palm(?) of some sort that had started growing in the ground, about 6 inches high. instead of destroying it (which was the general consensus) i cut the top off a drink can and potted it up and took it home in the drink holder of my car. anyway it was such an amazing vibe having a beautiful green plant amongst the man made shit in my car and i would really like to have some permanent plants in there. does anyone have any suggestions? is this possible? i know its a bit more tricky than the office plant but how cool would it be! obviously a cactus would be a good choice, although slightly dangerous but something with lots of foliage would create such a positive atmosphere

Miracle fruit makes a good house plants.

So does this Fig tree I have in my basement :)