The Corroboree
Ilovecacti

My Little Collection

Nice! I am yet to find a TBM at my Bunnings.

Bread if you go into bunnings garden section find the manager for the area and ask them to order what you want in. They will phone Hamiltons or their purchasing dept. and it will be there within the following two deliveries usually. Don't ask for Lophs Hamiltons and Bunnings contract states no drug plants. [Apparently no-one has told them about Trichs etc :P ]

Your first post, last image, second from the right, i have that! What is it? :P

the 1st one in post #5 is a Sinocrassula yunnanensis

where you have a close up picture of the side of your t. scop with "something white and fuzzy" is this going to be a problem, yes it looks like a mealy bug or a mealy bug nest they make little white webs and look like tiny white slaters (woodlice)

kill it! and look out for them on your other plants, they are the main 'cacti pest' you will encounter.

great collection you must have spent a bit of money on all of these, i love how much variety (and enthusiasm!) you have, good to see some caudiciforms in the mix there too!

kea :)

Ok the mealy bug has been removed and destroyed, and the Kanna is Sceletium Emarcidum

The mealy bug on the scop prompted me to check the rest properly, and I found some on my echino, along with some orange stuff I'm not happy at all about.

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

It is wet because I just sprayed the mealy bugs off, I found one or two in between the ripples, and then when I sprayed the crown tip, about 20-30 which were hiding came out, most tiny. Is that orange stuff damage from the mealy bugs? Or is it some kind of fungus/rot starting?

Echinofossulocactus also known as Stenocactus don't take over watering well at all , being a Mexican keep dry starting now, as were heading into winter... the orange splotches may spread or may just stay splotches on the skin we hope...

That marks are familiar. I think they are marks from older mite [tiny spiders] attack, but I am not sure by any means - it could also be orange rot - equally harmless if you avoid more serious rot and wetneswsw at the marks. You should not be so worried about it, but shouldn't wet that areas during wet/cool/cold time to be on the safe side.

Echinofossulocactus also known as Stenocactus don't take over watering well at all , being a Mexican keep dry starting now, as were heading into winter... the orange splotches may spread or may just stay splotches on the skin we hope...

I have found Stenocactus [current genus name, and an appropriate one too, 'Echinofassulatus' The Genu name is no more, even though many nurseries replicate it] to like gererousw watering in the growing period. But you're right: leaving them wet and/or exposed in the wrong season is a pretty sure way to kill them ...

I regret to making the same mistake for a second year in a row leave my first and biggest Steno [fave one too] too long in rainy/cool season on the roof. It's no more as well. Let's just say I've killed 4-5 Stenos.

That means: stop watering at once if your getting into winter!

I love Stenocacti! Is it jut me or should more people get thee awesome cacti??

I also think your Trichocerei would like a bit more sun, keep in mind for next season

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've sown a couple seeds and I'm going to try and carry them through the winter on a heat pad, I've learned a lot from my go last year (http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25333&st=0&p=269037&fromsearch=1entry269037) and it looks like I'm already getting better results.

These are Pach.(PC) V Bridge.(Psycho0), I don't know if you can see it in these photos but the one that has come up at the back has something white at it's base, it looks like little white hairs coming out in all directions. At first I thought it was the root system starting but it looked a bit odd today, they were sticking straight up, I think it might be fungus because I microwaved the sand but didn't put any anti-fungal stuff on, if so which is a good product to use at this point?

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0933.jpg

Edited by Ilovecacti

These are Pach.(PC) V Bridge.(Psycho0), I don't know if you can see it in these photos but the one that has come up at the back has something white at it's base, it looks like little white hairs coming out in all directions. At first I thought it was the root system starting but it looked a bit odd today, they were sticking straight up, I think it might be fungus because I microwaved the sand but didn't put any anti-fungal stuff on, if so which is a good product to use at this point?

But these are roots, no trouble.

Seen them very often.

They are seen when seed germinated on surface of the soil, but not under it.

It is better to use very thin layer upon seed before germination.

At first I thought it was the root system starting but it looked a bit odd today, they were sticking straight up, I think it might be fungus because I microwaved the sand but didn't put any anti-fungal stuff on, if so which is a good product to use at this point?

But these are roots, no trouble.

Seen them very often.

They are seen when seed germinated on surface of the soil, but not under it.

It is better to use very thin layer upon seed before germination.

I'm so excited today, have a look at what I just found when I popped open the lid:

DSCN0938.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

The ones that have sprouted are Notocactus seeds from my collection, they flowered a few months ago. While we're on this topic, does anyone know at what point you collect the seeds from the flower head? Is it just until it has died and dried out thoroughly or maybe longer than that? Also do you have to treat the seed pods differently?

Oh, and have a looksie at this:

DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

DSCN0943.jpg

Yeah Baby! That's what I'm talking about!:) :) :) The single one that had come up the other day now has some company, lots of company. So far I'm looking at about a 1000% improvement from last years effort.

Thanks to gerbil for sending me the seed few months ago, it's obviously very good :)

Edited by Ilovecacti

Hi guys I'm a bit worried about my little guys, they've turned an unhealthy shade of brown, I thought it was probably too much water so I was leaving the lid off for a few hours at a time and they were getting slowly better but yesterday I left the lid off pretty much the whole day and night and now they look worse then ever. It has been getting really cold at night here (5 degrees last night, coldest I remember in ages) so it could possibly be caused by that I suppose, but I thought these guys almost liked the cold?

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated.

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1210.jpg

And yesterday these guys were bright green and looking very good, but now a few have brown tinges on them :(

DSCN1207.jpg

im not THAT experienced, but it seems they are discolored because of the light intensity.

I don't think there is nothing to worry about, they still look healthy to me and in a few weeks they will green up again and grow much better once they get used to the light.

If you are extremely worried, you can move them away from the light a little bit.

Personally i wouldnt move them away and let them adapt. They might grow slower or stall now but once they adapt to the light they will take off.

Good luck

Water stress can cause them to look like that especially when germinating/growing in straight CSS like you are.

Looking great dude!

they look as if they fattened and doing fine. they don't seem overly stressed by the light, but like Philo said, if you're worried, put in a somewhat shadier spot for a while before you return them to where they are. i think I would leave them there.

• Like 1

Ahhh the light intensity, I didn't take that into account. They are under my pergola and I DID move them to the edge where the panels are just plastic so more light gets through. Should I leave the lid off all the time now? I remember reading somewhere that you should leave it off when the first spines come through but I often get these things wrong.

I'm fairly certain the moisture levels are fine, I actually poked one of the brownest ones today and it feels like it should, firm and not squishy.

Also, those two albino's in the other tray, without chlorophyll will they be able to grow normally at all or are they doomed? I've seen those bright yellow and pink cacti but they're always on a graft and pretty sure they die if you de-graft.

Edited by Ilovecacti

they look great! nice method, super simple and very easy.

Don't forget to feed them, dilute solution of course.

hey archaea you can feed baby trichos? didn't know that!

then again, why not. good idea!

Edited by mutant

It's been a long time since I posted, but I was looking through the old pictures and my collection sure has grown and evolved. I live in another state now and some of them didn't like the move much but they've settled in and are putting on a very good growth season this year. I thought I'd put up some new pictures.

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update!! Awesome + cariable collection. Love to see them growing!

I just have to say your collection has become a true inspiration for me to grow some cacti from seed. You have done very well mate :)

Thanks so much guys, a couple more pics from this guy who just opened today:

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

I'm having trouble identifying these ones, can anyone help me out?

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Nice photos

What happened with all your seedlings ?

They're the ones in the punnets, I had more but had to leave some behind when I moved. They've looked pretty good since I separated them a little, I think I left them in the straight CSS for too long and they weren't getting enough food

IMAG0162.jpg

New aquisition I found yesterday:

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

• Like 2