The Corroboree
Ilovecacti

My Little Collection

This is my collection of cacti and a few succulents that I've gained since they started fascinating me. Seeing as you can't buy any entheogen's ready grown here (at least none that I've found yet) I've been trying to raise them from seed unsuccessfully but I won't give up, plus these little guys give me a bit of practice when I do eventually get them going.

I have labels for a few of them but most of them came with the name "cactus variety" on the label which is very unhelpful, I was wondering if some of the knowledgeable people on here could help me identify names for some of them?

DSCN0817.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

looks like alot have labels already , but i see notocactus , stenocactus , gymnocalycium, and mammilaria in the mix , what do you mean you cant buy ethno cacti? try ebay , you in australai?

Nice Collection, Cacti Lover. :wink: I like the Aloe´s in the background. bye Eg

Ok I labeled the ones I was fairly sure about, but there's a couple I need some help with (plus I like mucking around taking photos) so here they are:

DSCN0831.jpg

DSCN0833.jpg

Fairly sure it's a Mammillaria spp. but any specific name would be good.

DSCN0836.jpg

Maybe Notocactus?

DSCN0839.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

Maybe Notocactus as well?

DSCN0845.jpg

This little guy was cool, I found him in Big W in the plant section, he was the only one worth buying, the rest were very poor quality, but I have no idea what type it is.

And for EG, the Aloe Vera's were from a friend, they started as two pups about 20cm big (the two in the big pots) and almost as soon as I put them in there they started growing their own pups so I separated them too, and as you can see they're ready to be separated again!

DSCN0830.jpg

number 2 is Mammilaria elegans

4 is a scop

one from big w is a mamm also

Thanks guys, another question, the fleshy bit at the bottom of the Big W one, is that supposed to be covered or can it be left a little elevated like it is?

Lovely collection you have there...Good photography as well. I don't know enough to identify any but it got me wondering this...are the pebbles in the pots there for looks or do they have another function?

Sorry to hijack....

Very nice aloes.

I luv the little collection of cactii you haveth.

The terracotta pots make them stand out more.

Looks good

the fleshy bit at the bottom of the Big W one, is that supposed to be covered or can it be left a little elevated like it is?

looks fine ilovecacti,maybe some more pebbles... i love cacti to ilovecacti

are the pebbles in the pots there for looks or do they have another function?

hutch i also try and top dress with rocks / pebbles ,not only does it look nice but the layer gives beneficial microbes shelter and also when watering or when raining (if outside) , splash back doesnt occur spreading potting mix all over the cacti which can be very difficult to remove due to the spines.

Pachs are available from bunnings sometimes, also a lot of nurseries have them, look for a cactus farm go to markets or just find a nice thicket and ask for a cutting, plenty around , I'm sure someone from here will trade you something, are the terraco pots plastic? Just curious,

Edited by shoes

Lovely collection you have there...Good photography as well. I don't know enough to identify any but it got me wondering this...are the pebbles in the pots there for looks or do they have another function?

Thanks hutch.

The pebbles serve both, what blowng said and also I'm pretty sure cacti don't like too much organic material touching their upper bit. They're polished aquarium pebbles I got a 25kg bag of those little ones you can see and also a 25kg bag of larger ones for when they grow bigger, $40 per bag which I thought was cheap as.

Pachs are available from bunnings sometimes, also a lot of nurseries have them, look for a cactus farm go to markets or just find a nice thicket and ask for a cutting, plenty around , I'm sure someone from here will trade you something, are the terraco pots plastic? Just curious,

I've looked at what Bunnings has a couple times and I didn't see anything but I'll keep my eyes open, and I'll look into any farms not too far away, the pots are just plain terracotta I think, they're definitely not plastic I knocked one over yesterday and it broke like terracotta. The colour looks slightly odd I think because of the camera settings I had for close up shots.

potting mix all over the cacti which can be very difficult to remove due to the spines.

I had enough trouble with that potting these guys, especially the ones with spines like hair took me ages to clean them up but you feel a good sense of accomplishment afterward.

Very nice aloes.

I luv the little collection of cactii you haveth.

The terracotta pots make them stand out more.

Looks good

Thanks Sally I'm going to be putting them all in the terracotta's soon as I buy some more.

Edited by Ilovecacti

With my Bunnings you need to go there every week or so right after they have got their new stock in. The good stuff gets picked out fairly quickly.

Double post. I need to learn how to use my phone properly.

Edited by Bread Filter

My brain constantly tries to tell me that the first pic in Post number 5 is a Haworthia. Not sure if this is right but thats the word that comes in my mind when i look at the pic. And they kinda look like them bye Eg

#6 is some Sedum or Sempervivum or something like that

7 = Mamm

8 = Noto

9 = Trichocereus

10 = Mamm

11 = ???

12 = Mamm

my plant of choice: that Stenocactus in one corner

nice to see other people caring for regular cacti. Gymno baldianum is splendid too

Edited by mutant

With my Bunnings you need to go there every week or so right after they have got their new stock in. The good stuff gets picked out fairly quickly.

I think they are too pricey at bunnings specially since they don't look after them too well, same at a local nursery cept I may end up getting a 4ft pachy for 20bucks as it had a major growth spurt and can't really stand up on its own,

Also Ilovecacti what state you in I can send u a small freebie if you like, call it a random act of kindness

Edited by shoes

Hey guys decided to take some new photos, they're all re-potted now and starting to look really healthy, and some are starting to flower :)

DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

Big thanks to shoes for sending me these lovely trich. cuttings, they're a very healthy shade of blue/green and I can just sit there staring at them for ages, almost hypnotic.

DSCN0850.jpg

yeah same here, I asked one of the workers in the garden section and they told me they restock the cacti from hamiltons every second thursday. I try to go there every second friday.

I have found Pachs, peruvianus, and a 30 cm bridge, and once i found a nice little TBM so immediatly i drove to another bunnings bout 20 min away and found another two there :) They pretty much have something everytime, just gotta be first in

yeah same here, I asked one of the workers in the garden section and they told me they restock the cacti from hamiltons every second thursday. I try to go there every second friday.

I have found Pachs, peruvianus, and a 30 cm bridge, and once i found a nice little TBM so immediatly i drove to another bunnings bout 20 min away and found another two there :) They pretty much have something everytime, just gotta be first in

Nice! I am yet to find a TBM at my Bunnings.

Hi guys my collection has grown quite a bit (both in number and size) since the last photos I put up, so I thought I'd take some more pictures and post them.

A lot of these new cacti at the front I bought just the other day from the Cactus Society Autumn Show last weekend, a lot to choose from and very nice looking. If you want any closer pictures just request which ones and I'll be happy to, I like photography too :)

I've been debating whether or not to re-pot a lot of these because it's coming into winter, and their dormant period, so I thought there wouldn't be any need to give them transplant stress as well as fighting cold (and it is getting cold really early down here this year), what are your thoughts on this?

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

This is a Scopulicolis I found at the show, the only Trich. I saw there. It's starting to root and there's something white and fuzzy looking above that, are either of these going to be a problem?

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

Some Kanna I raised up:

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

The two Trich's from my update before, these things GROW:

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

And the cacti from my OP, they've grown quite a bit!

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

All of the Aloe's just above started from the original two, and now they're all ready to be split multiple times as well, I'm having trouble giving them all away :) hope you guys enjoyed.

Edited by Ilovecacti

Hey dude, bravo

I love your collection, is seems we have quite a few cacti in common.

As always I am glad to see a real cactus enthusiast, apart from ethnoheads here.

Spread the word!

I say dont repot the new ones if you're entering wintertime now. Or you could repot if you have a good 2-3 months ahead.

Edited by mutant

That's a mealy bug on your Trichocereus. If there aren't many remove them by hand with a toothpick or something and spray the cactus with water.

Nice collection you have going there :)

Edit: wow didn't see the Kanna seedlings before, what species are they?

Edited by centipede