The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Aerole grafting ? any good teks/ links?

im excited :P

merfer.jpg

I just grafted 2 Loph aeroles and theyt just leaped on the stock ,will update if have win.

merf.jpg

I cut a syringe for a cover also for a little pressure , plugged syringe hole with blutak.

The Coryphantha graft is still alive and has swelled , may see bursting yet !

Edited by blowng

just be patient with these grafts. swelling is good. pereskis fast. but even so, sometimes areoles can be slow fuggers to pop!

just be patient with these grafts. swelling is good. pereskis fast. but even so, sometimes areoles can be slow fuggers to pop!

Thanks I will. One thing growing cacti has taught me is patience , a lesson i did need to learn.

Well,well,well the Coryphantha turbicle finally popped! I am very happy as that turbicle was all i had left of the original C.macromeris which passed away...

bob.jpg

The 2 Lophophora aeroles are swelling slowly so fingers and toes crossed.

Edited by blowng

anyone else have aerole fever/ success?

Edited by blowng

yeah baby! never gonna lose another plant, easier than seedling grafting imo....

DSCN0589.jpg

well done dude! i had a trich aerole grafted onto a peres, it swelled, pupped then died :( thats the only succses ive had. oh well ill keep trying. good luck with yours. i might practice with ones about to pup. i know thats cheating though :P

Edited by B_T

Has anyone grafted a tbm areole? I'd like to try but don't know how deep to cut it.

Wow! This thread is fascinating!

How did you cut the loph areole for a peres graft blowng? I often theorised about this type of graft but was worried about the exposed cut area of the areole drying and shriveling the graft into nothing. Could always use some of that yates anti-transpirant stuff once the cut areas had healed for a day or 2. Would want to make sure the cuts are extra nice and clean though.

Awesome pics!

Thanks Harry, im only coming to terms with my stupendousness myself lol, it was an aerole from a failed graft which i couldnt regraft as infection saw me cut away any remaining vascular bundles,so i was stoked to be able to preserve its genes. I cut kinda deep until i saw some kind of vascular ring,then bevelled the edges like kada said to. It jumped on the stock, no slippin /slidin ,going to try some others this season i reckon!

well done bro, looking great. nothin left but to concur the world.

gnostic, tbm are the same. though clipping the long ass spines makes everyones life easier. even if your not taping them, those spines get in the way! nail clippers are great :)

harry that does happen. and trying to raise humidity can led to rot. there is a zone, for sure. my recent batch of about 30 areoles all died from rot because the temps sunk the day after and it rained for a week.

thats the reason i tell myself anyway.

so blown, whats up next? going to give grafting scions onto areoles a shot? thats a hard one; to try and graft say 10 scions onto different areols and have them all live.

I don't have 'areole fever' yet - but I do have a stalled coryphantha areole that looks as if it has taken. waiting...

Gonna do more of them in spring

Harry, about the lopho areole shape, I noticed the other day in one of my grafted lophos a very tubercloid areole. This was ideal for graftin even in a very narrow scion. I had to convince myself not to cut it off and graft, as I love this particular graft. It's one of the interesting parts of graftin in my opinion:

Gather the stocks best for the session, then decide which pup [candidate for scion] fits which stock

Wow, this is brilliant. Something I have to try, especially once some of my Pereskiopsis manage to recover from the onslaught of snails that occurred while I was away. Great way to propagate cacti. Seems like the wedge method would be a good one for grafting areoles.

I wonder if grafting an areoles from the growing tip would result in faster pupping?

I wonder if grafting an areoles from the growing tip would result in faster pupping?

Id say the newer ,but fully emerged aeroles would be the ones to use tripsis. I was forced into trying this, out of not wanting to lose the plants...(just like my very first normal graft) But the possibilities, if you werent to fussed about scarring on the original plant, could see you duplicate and boost the number of individiduals of perhaps a rare clone .

Id say the newer ,but fully emerged aeroles would be the ones to use tripsis.

I tend to agree , instinctively with this, some people say it doesn't really matter

'fresh but full emerged' should be optimal, in part because they are juicier

still, parameters like in what stage the plant to take areole from is - dormant or active and how fully watered it is, also must play a big role...

While it does seem from an intuitive point of view that grafting an areole from an actively growing tip would be best, I would also be loathe to mar an actively growing tip if it wasn't actually a necessity. Cutting one out of a lower and less obvious areoles of the plant would be more aesthetically at least.

Edited by tripsis

A growing tip will also have higher concentrations of plant hormones that may accelerate the graft to take and the areole to pop. Could have the opposite effect as well. Someone will have to try and find out :devil:

I'll be doing some areole grafting tonight if I get around to it, but doing it with older areoles.

You know given time a new aerole will eventually become an old aerole and be moved down the line, but I totally understand not wanting to make fugly the growing tip...good luck with the older aerole graft mate keep us updated.

I'll be doing some areole grafting tonight if I get around to it, but doing it with older areoles.

i'm also very interested in your success with older areole.

i have an unknown crest i would like to try areole graft to find out what it actually is, but loathe to scar it.

i'm told areole gafts will not re-produce crests but give you the actual plant so i could sacrifice a lower older areole or two.

best of luck..

Will keep you all updated.

You know given time a new aerole will eventually become an old aerole and be moved down the line, but I totally understand not wanting to make fugly the growing tip

True, true, but if it's possible to do on older areoles, then I shall. The snails have done enough damage to all my growing tips as it is.

i'm told areole gafts will not re-produce crests but give you the actual plant so i could sacrifice a lower older areole or two.

I've read too, that areole grafts with crests won't result in another crested plant, but that link to the Nook seemed to show that it is possible. It was a wedge from the crest, rather than a single areole, but it was a pretty small wedge. Point being, it grew out as a crest.

not german - haha - DUTCH. you know what they say. If it aint Dutch, it aint much! hahahaahahaha Dutch arrogance at it's best.

Super nice vid! thhhhhaaaaaamx!

Edited by woof woof woof

heres how they look today , all three aerole grafts took, so i say go for it!

DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0657.jpg

They look great! Must be pretty small areoles to be able to graft to Pereskiopsis.

Mine are probably all failures, done with T. peruvianus areoles. The tape on one came off, so the scion dried up; another may or may not be good, but the vascular bundle was tiny, so aligning it with the stock's vascular tissue was very difficult; the final one was to a Pereskiopsis, but the areole was much larger than the diameter of the stock, thus I tried the wedge method, but it didn't go too well. Try, try again...