The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Aerole grafting ? any good teks/ links?

Hi anyone got aerole grafting sussed and would like to share their wisdom... i am intrigued

may have to sign in , are u member? Tbm areole grafts on pereskiopsis , very impressive.

under the heading ;

''Grafters Show Off Your Grafts & Grafting Teks No More Secrets"

Edited by blowng

i cant view it

join

na not joining another forum :P man i got so much cactus i wanna save! time to practice

nothing special with areoles. grating is the *exact* same as grafting a pup...no different except the vasc ring is often narrower, not always.

good luck :)

nothing special with areoles. grating is the *exact* same as grafting a pup...no different except the vasc ring is often narrower, not always.

good luck :)

Thanks kada , guess its all so intimidating, seeing as i've never viewed an aeroles' vascular ring yet .

Sounds like a great thing to be able to produce multiple clones without harming the growing tip... will try soon....

i just went and tried to graft a aerole to aerole. can this work. my pach has very noticable vascular rings when cut off aeroles

hmmm... B_t sound similar to peres aerole grafting what stock did you try with?

Cool, follow teh priciples i guess anything can be de possible.....

yeah so i tried 3 to one pach and masking taped the shit out of it. ill cut off all the other aeroles tomorrow

any combination of grafting cacti will work.

they key concepts are simple.

tehre needs to be somewhere for the plant to grow from, ie apical mersitem or areole. those things like corys, mams, arios etc with weird areole setups and split areoles etc can be played aroudn with differently.

there needs to be somewhere for the plant to get nutes, aka roots need to be connected to teh scion some how. there is a vascular bundle goign to *each* areole of course, and there are often stray pipelines you can hook up power too ;)

you basically line up pipes, doesnt matter what pipe hooks up to what.

you can graft roots as well, but they should sprout new plants. but you can graft an areole to a root if you cared enough, though success is smaller with certain kinds.

if you can flat graft normally, you can accomplish any kind of cactus graft imaginable, as teh principle is all the same.

if you are grafting onto the areoles of other plants, keep in mind how the plant grows. if they pup from above and grow up, grafting to a higher areole is generally better.

the main reason for grafting right up top with normal grafts is taht is where all the action is going anyway. this is also why you want single column stocks, not with a bunch of pups, cause they have as much action going on on each head, so your grafted head is not going to be fed as much.

BT what you did can work, but it may not pup if you leave all teh otehr areoles. cuttign the areols and teh apical mersitem is the best idea...or you can graft 50 areoles onto that stock while your at it ;)

in june i grafted a bunch of astros onto the ends of leutchenbergia tubercles with about 50% success. plant died while i was on vacation though :(

That would be a sight , a Leuchtenbergia covered in astros!

Well I tried a tubercle graft onto Pereskiopsis and it seems to have taken!

A Coryphantha macromeris tubercle with spines removed for easier handling... will update if grows ,

next I will try an aerole graft of some sort which may be a little more tricky ...

DSCN0213.jpg

well, this areole grafting talk got my hands itchy. thanks a lot for opinions.

Kada, would you live more in the humidity when doing areoles?

Guess what my next grafting sessions will be :)

Any ideas on what genuses are best? Is the obvious [tubercled cacti like mammis corrphanthas etc] true ??

genus doesnt matter....just graft. some species are rather flat though, and you need to cut *into* the cactus to get enough flesh to make the graft...species with large tubercles just stick out as easier due to physical shape. i found cories a very good practice species, it is what i first used as my areole guinea pigs.

treat them like any other similar sized scion. if the areole is large, i dont use humidity. if the scion is tiny and on things like peresk/hylo i throw a loose baggy on top for good measure :) thought it depends on the weather a bit...if its raining oceans i dont, but if its sunny i do. i never do for larger scions on things like myrtle type stocks...that said its never *dry* here.

thanks a lot for comments mate, I thought corris are good due to areole size.

I was thinking about doing an obregonia also.

I live in a dry country so, humidity dome is important for me, but I see the difference in your situation.

Also, I have to say I have my smallest success rate with myrtilocactus as stock.

obregonia is a little trickier i find. best stock for areole in my situation is pereskiopsis with these plants...but because their "leaves" are so thin, they shrivel easy, so dont get down.

wierd myrtle gives you trouble. i swear i can hit them with a shovel and throw a scion on top and it works lol. they do like warmth and decent light though, also do not hold off on water with these...go full blown grow power with them.

what is the problem with your myrtles? rust turn rot? if so ditch the bag, or use a bigger/looser bag.

• Like 1

Hmmmm

I suspect it's a combination of things. Some times the timing I grafted was fucked, f.e. the myrti was underwatered, thus pretty softish and not so juicy. I find they are more soft than I am used to. This would seem like a pro, but it hasn't yet worked as such for me. Anyway I usually don't get the scion to stick.

other than that, I find myrti very hardy cactus, with decent growing rate.

you graft on pumped with water myrtis?

yup, well hydrated is best. dehydrated myrtles dont stick well cause they dont have much juices flowing. they are not hard cacti, but if they feel rubbery, water more before grafting.