The Corroboree
Alchemist

Took 25g Calea

I've taken 3-5g of dry calea (good quality, green with nice smell) for a week now, just before going to bed and nothing at all changed with my dreams.Before this I have tried teas, extracts, vaporisation and god knows what else to no avail. So a few days ago I decided to go for a big dose. I extracted 25g of the stuff with methanol in a soxhlet. After evaporating the methanol overnight and then for a 10 mins at 70C in an oven, I got 8 g of resin. The left over leaves weighed 17g was brown and no longer bitter. The 8g shocked me as it expected some 3g if the same plant was used as in the dream study journal article found on the web (hexane+methanol extracts together)

I took the green blob last night and felt no difference in the hour going to bed and bugger all dreams. The only difference was waking up after 3 hours to do a number 2 all thanks to its laxative properties.

I am very disappointed indeed.

I have Mugwort to try next,I hope it does something....

I usually brew a tea with a couple of table spoons of calea and smoke a couple of calea rollies untill you can hear what sounds like your heartbeat, then theres a short window in which to catch the calea wave.

Sleep is shallow and broken up by hypnopompic and Hypnagogia states with many vivid  detailed dreams.  Wake up feeling very tired.  Didn't get and deep sleep, just felt like REM.

Sometimes it wont work at all, seems a bit hit and miss.

Also cannabis inhibits or makes you unable to remember dreams usually.

Are you sure it's legit Calea?

There is a lot of fake shit going around.

Are you sure it's legit Calea?

There is a lot of fake shit going around.

I think the US has the problem with fakes. I'm very sure what we have here is Calea Ternifolia Kunth. because it is the only calea species with white flowers. Calea Ternifolia Kunth. should be the same as Calea Zacatechichi Schltdl.

However I have never read that zac. has white flowers. In fact two books say it has yellow or orange flowers. This is one with orange flowers http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/golden_guide/g151-160.shtml

Its all very confusing for me.

Edited by Alchemist

its probably not the best idea but a friend of mine sticks nicotene patches to his temples before bed, he says he has the most vivid and realistic dreams and sometimes he just cant wait to go to bed, assuming its dreams your after but i have no idea on the safety aspect of doing so...

my opinion is that what you usually get in oz can be psychoactive .just sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt.

i dont dream on it ,it keeps me awake.but i get great visionary experiences just 'meditating'.

thats a big dose...i would prob give up with it after that!

do you do much visual thinking or more just verbal?

t s t .

its probably not the best idea but a friend of mine sticks nicotene patches to his temples before bed, he says he has the most vivid and realistic dreams and sometimes he just cant wait to go to bed, assuming its dreams your after but i have no idea on the safety aspect of doing so...

He could stick them on his ass and he'd have much the same effect.

I've used patches a few times in my life and if you forget to take it off at night, yeah, you have very intense dreams. Subjectively quite different from Calea, but probably both about as profound as one another IMO.

my opinion is that what you usually get in oz can be psychoactive .just sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt.

i dont dream on it ,it keeps me awake.but i get great visionary experiences just 'meditating'.

thats a big dose...i would prob give up with it after that!

do you do much visual thinking or more just verbal?

t s t .

I can usually dream quite well and its always in colour. Recall is not so good .I can't visualise for peanuts while awake and there is no such thing as a hypnogogic state. One minute I'm up, next minute I'm either dead or dreaming.

Thinking is verbal although I can get an 'outline' of the objects but never a photographic image. The calea really did nothing at all awake or asleep.

Thanks for the Nicotine tip. I will keep that in mind for sure. A friend is taking St. John's wort and is fed up of the quantity and intensity of her dreams so that is another I will add to the list as I systematically go through them. I know that silene capensis is another one but my internet reading so far hinted that it could be another sus one.

Calea wise I will make a tea with the 17g left overs and try that out.

Edited by Alchemist

been coming across temple grandin[sp?] a bit recently and she has got me thinking about a few things to do with thinking....

anyhow had the thought that adding bacopa brahmi might make thinking more visually orientated ,as it did for my memory, and allow people to access more visually oriented states?

t s t .

Can confirm...I had the best dreams of my life when I was trying to give up smoking...I miss my nicotine....I still miss her... :P

I miss my nicotine....I still miss her... :P

It's one of those things, isn't it. I, myself, will never be a non-smoker. I'll always be a smoker who hasn't had one for a very long time.

I made a tea from the 17g (6 heaped table spoons) of left over from the extraction. Tasted very nice. No Dreams!

Now been trying Mugwort tea for 3 days. 3 tablespoons per hot cup of water. Much nicer than calea tea!!! Quite a few dreams but recall and vividness not great. With calea seemed dreams were repressed.

no hypnagogia?!!! that kinda sucks man. even though it never makes sense in a way that i can bring back, i feel like my inner-genius resides in those kinds of places. my cognition seems to take on a whole new light and i process things holistically. shit maybe you're actually lucky, not having to live with the perception that your best insights can't be preserved, or even experienced properly.

no hypnagogia?!!! that kinda sucks man. even though it never makes sense in a way that i can bring back, i feel like my inner-genius resides in those kinds of places. my cognition seems to take on a whole new light and i process things holistically. shit maybe you're actually lucky, not having to live with the perception that your best insights can't be preserved, or even experienced properly.

Oh man! I've had the most psychedelic integral synchronistic totally making sense of it all experiences listening to music drifting off to sleep - probably stoned at the time too. And it was just so lucid and crisp and made a holistic whole lotta sense! and at the time, the connections I knew they were a bit asbtract but they definitely felt 'integral' and I realised that this lucidity has to pass, I won't have any way to recall even parts of this... damn, ah well may as well enjoy this moment of clarity before i drift off into oblivion again.

thats why i'm suggesting taking brahmi as well, to improve memory recall, especially visual memory.

that was my experience of brahmi , a number of times.

have heard it said brahmi can help imprint psychedelic memories.

raceitams may do this too.

tabernaemontanna sp used with aya for this purpose in sth am?

any other ideas for similarly useful plants ?

t s t .

Yeah, perhaps I am. Never know what pandoras box I could open up for myself...

Quick update on the Mugwort, its doing sweet FA as well. 3 heaped tablespoons left in a cup of hot water for 30 mins. Tea is brownish in colour, tastes quite nice, and leaves a very mild burning feeling in the mouth and throat. Thats about all it does.

I must be immune to these mild herbs??

I've taken 3-5g of dry calea (good quality, green with nice smell) for a week now, just before going to bed and nothing at all changed with my dreams.Before this I have tried teas, extracts, vaporisation and god knows what else to no avail. So a few days ago I decided to go for a big dose. I extracted 25g of the stuff with methanol in a soxhlet. After evaporating the methanol overnight and then for a 10 mins at 70C in an oven, I got 8 g of resin. The left over leaves weighed 17g was brown and no longer bitter. The 8g shocked me as it expected some 3g if the same plant was used as in the dream study journal article found on the web (hexane+methanol extracts together)

I took the green blob last night and felt no difference in the hour going to bed and bugger all dreams. The only difference was waking up after 3 hours to do a number 2 all thanks to its laxative properties.

I am very disappointed indeed.

I have Mugwort to try next,I hope it does something....

Oh crap lol im getting 30gs of the stuff i hope my experience is vastly different to yours. i laughed pretty hard about the only side effect you got from your 25g attempt, bad luck man id imagine you were pretty annoyed

taking mugwort extract the last week or so i've noticed my dreams have become more vivid and my ability to recall them has increased. even with a cone before bed mugworts effects are still quite noticeable.

also, has anyone else noticed a synergy between mugwort and our favorite combustible?

Lots of good pointers there peeps, I've had hit and miss experiences with cales as well. Could the active properties be quite variable in different growing conditions and definitely between different plants?

Could the active properties be quite variable in different growing conditions and definitely between different plants?

i'm sure that some calea is stronger than others, but having read quite a few calea stories, it seems to me that it works for some people much better than for others.

maybe even something like reverse tolerance is happening, meaning it get's better and stronger with repeated usage.

Can confirm...I had the best dreams of my life when I was trying to give up smoking...I miss my nicotine....I still miss her... :P

Ive seen that avatar before, did you ever happen to post on the ogrish forums

Ive seen that avatar before, did you ever happen to post on the ogrish forums

Nope...just found it...

thats why i'm suggesting taking brahmi as well, to improve memory recall, especially visual memory.

that was my experience of brahmi , a number of times.

have heard it said brahmi can help imprint psychedelic memories.

raceitams may do this too.

tabernaemontanna sp used with aya for this purpose in sth am?

any other ideas for similarly useful plants ?

t s t .

I use Gotu Kola in much the same way as you do with brahmi and get good results, both for dream recall and to enhance the visual aspect of dreams.

When I've taken Gotu kola I seem to have some control over my dreams. They don't just happen to me and I seem to be able to have more control over what transpires in the dreams.

There has been some confusion between Brahmi and Gotu Kola in the past, they could possibly be used interchangeably or maybe even together for an enhanced effect.

Both herbs stimulate and enhance mental capacity.

dreaming vividly is easy. just pay more attention to your dreams.

#1 make effort to remember them by thinking about what you will dream before you go to bed and also see if you can remember what you dreamt when you wake up.

regular dreams or drug induced dreams are not very special if you dont have any the capacity to pay special attention during the dream or after you wake up.

there is no herb that can help you with becomming more aware of your innerworkings ALLONE...... it will always be a matter of paying attention.

i'd suggest meditation. but the problem most of us have here at SAB have is taking the time to just sit breathe let everything settle and reflect.