The Corroboree
Yeti101

African Pscychoactive Plants

The last few days I’ve been using my campus access to hit the journals and see if I can turn up any more interesting bits & pieces.

Searching for serotonin in Planta Medica led me to the plant Boophone disticha . This plant contains alkaloids which have affinity to the serotonin reuptake transport protein (SERT) (Neergaard et al, 2008).

“Weak decoctions of bulb scales given to sedate violent, psychotic patents (vanWyk and Gericke, 2000). Traditional healers and patients in South Africa drink bulb infusions to induce hallucinations for divinatory purposes, and also as a medicine to treat mental illness (Sobiecki, 2002)”
(both cited by Stafford in the article below)

Cool.

Searching the web for info about this plant led me to these two massive articles

The first is “A preliminary inventory of plants used for psychoactive purposes in southern African healing traditions”, Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa, Sobiecki, 2002.

Abstract (The good bits anyway):

Information on psychoactive plant use was gathered by screening the ethnobotanical literature and interviewing 15 traditional healers on their use and prescription of plants for psychoactive purposes in South Africa. This information was subsequently compiled into an inventory. The inventory lists 306 plants, representing 94 families, with psychoactive uses in southern Africa. The plants listed in the inventory were arranged alphabetically by family, followed by the botanical species name, ethnic names and corresponding ethnic groups utilising the plants for psychoactive purposes, and literature reports on psychoactive use.

I won’t post this publically as I’m specifically prohibited from doing so in the terms & conditions of my use of that journal. I might provide a copy you if PM me, but I'd only count on it if you are Torsten or a Moderator/Trusted member.

The other is: “Review on plants with CNS-effects used in traditional South African medicine against mental diseases.” Gary I. Stafford, Mikael E. Pedersen, Johannes van Staden, Anna K. Jäger, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2008.

This article looks at fewer species, but in a bit more depth. The 14 page table of plants, broken down into those used for convulsions & epilepsy, depression, and dementia is fantastic. (See attached pdf)

For those too lazy or busy to read them, here are some highlights from both papers:

Dioscorea dregeana [wild yam, isidakwdilabatheka (Z)]

The Zulu use tubers for hysterical fits and to cure insanity (Gerstner, 1941; Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962), while cold infusions from the tubers are used as soporifics (Hutchings et al., 1996). Two teaspoonfuls of fresh macerate from the tuber are reputed to make a person drunk (Gerstner, 1939). It is a profound sedative, and is used by unspecified groups in South Africa to treat various other conditions such as epilepsy, hysteria, insomnia, pain and acute psychosis (Van Wyk & Gericke,2000). It is often mixed with Boophane disticha to synergise the visionary (hallucinatory) experience and is a popular psychoactive plant sold on the muti markets in Johannesburg (J.F. Sobiecki, pers. obs.).

Lannea schweinfurthii The roots are covered with a dense layer of very fine root hairs, that are reportedly used as a sedative snuff, and the smoke of the burned roots is inhaled as a sedative (vanWyk and Gericke, 2000)

Vernonia amygdalina

In Malawi women who want their beer to be “strong” rub the insides of the pots with the leaves of this plant to make the brew more intoxicating (Williamson, 1974).

Cineraria aspera [moholu-oa-pela (S)]The leaves can be smoked for respiratory problems and is said to be as intoxicating as Cannabis sativa L.* (Phillips, 1917; Jacot Guillarmod, 1971).

Plumbago zeylancia

Suspected to be used by the San to induce a trance state, and the genus contains substances that have a stimulant and narcotic action on the central nervous system (Winkelman & Dobkin de Rios, 1989). Reported to be used as a narcotic in West Africa (Ayensu, 1978).

And much, much more.

Enjoy!

sdarticle.pdf

sdarticle.pdf

sdarticle.pdf

• Like 5

thank you, interesting stuff.

Cool, thanks! While we're at the subject, here's two more papers on African psychoactives.

Some ethnopharamcological notes on African hallucinogens.pdf

Phytochemical constituents of some Nigerian medicinal plants.pdf

• Like 2

8ad969f74fda17e35ca71c23e90f283b.jpg

I like the sound of this gem, will be a long time before I ever see it tho.

• Like 1

I like the sound of this gem, will be a long time before I ever see it tho.

Perhaps, but I bet there are a lot of more common Cineraria sp that are as yet un-investigated (and by 'investigated', I mean 'smoked' :wink: ) by people here.

Thanks for the articles Evening Glory.

Plumbago zeylancia and the native "Plumbago zeylanica" the same beast perhaps??

great read, thank for sharing :)

Thanks sapito, the file was too big to upload anyway.

Plumbago zeylancia and the native "Plumbago zeylanica" the same beast perhaps??

Not sure, I'm having trouble figuring it out. I was just blown away by the notion of a psychoactive Plumbago, even if it isn't the safest or most pleasant thing to take.

Seems P. zeylanica grows wild at a locale close to where I live. Might pay the spot a visit and see what I can find. Prolly just finished flowering though which will make it rather challenging to spot. On the positive, there is every chance it may be bearing fresh seed :lol:

See what I can do on the weekend.

blip....sorry.....

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

OK, bit of an update: I have been slowly sorting through “A preliminary inventory of plants used for psychoactive purposes in southern African healing traditions”. I've been trying to concentrate on plants that are more easily available in Aus. This process is only about half-done, so there will be more to come in a few weeks. Some of these are quite common, so use your head and don't just run our and eat/swill/smoke etc a stack of these without doing some reading and/or preliminary testing :innocent_n: .

Asclepias fruticosa L. [milkweed]syn. Gomphocarpus fruticosus.

Unspecified groups use a snuff of the powdered leaves as a sedative (Van Wyk & Gericke,2000). Asclepias lineolata Schltr is used in Zambia, the root of which is used as a narcotic to catch wild birds (Gilges, 1953). Naturalised and distinctive, should not be too hard to find.

Arctotheca calendula (L.) Levyns - Capeweed

Unspecified groups in South Africa use the juice as an antidote to strychnine (Watt, 1967). Narcotic effects are observed in rabbits (Van der Walt & Steyn, 1940). It is said to be narcotic and mildly poisonous in Australia (no reference given). – Weedy – should be reasonably easy to find

Kalanchoe pinnata (syn. Bryophyllum calycinum, Bryophyllum pinnatum, also known as the Air Plant, Life Plant, Miracle Leaf, Goethe Plant and the Katakataka

Bryophyllum pinnatum leaf aqueous extract (BPE, 25–800 mg/kg i.p.) produced significant (P

Found this via http://www.metafro.be/prelude (interesting site btw) which lists it as some sort of Tabernanthe iboga admixture - as eyedrops?

Tecomaria capensis (Thunb.) Spach subsp. capensis [cape honeysuckle, lungana (Z)]The Zulu take dried powdered bark infusions for sleeplessness in South Africa (Roberts,1990). Unspecified groups are reported to use the plant to induce sleep and relieve pain (Hutchings et al., 1996) – Should be widely available, I've seen some of these growing around the suburbs.

Eucomis autumnalis (Mill.) Chitt. subsp. autumnalis. AKA the Pineapple Lily.

Bulb decoctions are said to produce sleepiness (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962), while an unidentified species is used by Africans in the Ventersdorp area in South Africa for mental disease (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Easy enough to find if you know where to look.

Merwilla plumbea syn Scilla natalensis Planch. [inguduza (Z)]

A plant identified by the author as S. natalensis, by examining live specimens and confirming identification with the healers using colour photographs, was described as being able to induce visions and hallucinations, by methods of administration that were not described (M. Tau, pers. comm.).

Ledebouriu cooperi (Hook. f.) Jessop syn: Scilla cinarescens

v.d. Merwe [icubudwana (Z)]

Bulbs are used to inebriate Sotho boys during circumcision rituals(Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Medicines made with the plant and Phygelius capensis E. Mey. ex Benth. are used to inebriate boys in initiation ceremonies usually causing them to appear stunned and stupefied and to go to sleep (Hutchings et al., 1996).

I've seen both the Scilla sp. for sale online in Aus.

• Like 1

i think we have to seriously increase our lifspanns, to be able to research all this wealth of plants.

oh wait, thank god we destroy the whole planet anyway and plant's die out before we even knew what they could have healed. interessting posting, yeti!

You're most welcome planthelper! :)

Onwards!

Stephania species

An unidentified species is used by Sotho diviners “to discover” things and is used with the divining bones (Phillips, 1917).

Stephania abyssinica (Dill. & Rich.) Walp. is known to have psychoactive properties and tranquillising effects but its psychoactive use in southern Africa is unknown (Hutchings et al.,1996). Other species are used in East Africa as sedatives, and isoquinoline and aporphine alkaloids have been shown to have narcotic properties (Oliver-Bever, 1986). These aren't avaiable here (AFAIK), but as I've mentioned elsewhere http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3249&view=findpost&p=266704 , there are Australian sp that I think are worth a look.

Conophytum species

In South Africa the genus is reported to have narcotic properties (Watt, 1967). These plants are thought to have sedative properties, possibly on the basis of mesembrine-type alkaloids (Van Wyk & Gericke, 2000). These seem widely available.

Trichodiadema stellatum (Mill.) Schwant. This plant has been used as a yeast substitute for brewing beer, and is reported to contain the psychoactive alkaloid mesembrine (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Laidler (1928) also states that this plant known as kareemoer is “one of the beer making roots, a deliriant and intoxicant with an earlier stimulant action”. At least one nursery in Aus sell this (according to g00gle).

Phytolacca octandra L. [vowa (V)] The shoots are used as a stimulant snuff in Venda (Mabogo, 1990). The roots of Phytolacca americana L.* have a slightly narcotic effect (Martindale, 1967) but its psychoactive use in southern Africa is uncertain. Weedy - though I can't tell the difference between octandra and americana.

Lunchtime is well and truly over, I'll finish this some time next week.

Thanks Ashoka.

Also: I'm having trouble finding references that back up Sobiecki's findings - not saying they aren't right, but that surely is more reason to proceed with caution.

Have not had a chance to go through this yet - "Ethnobotanical Study of Hyacinthaceae and Non-hyacinthaceous Geophytes in Selected Districts of Malawi" Elizabeth Mwafongo,Inger Nordal,Zacharia Magombo & Brita Stedje, Ethnobotany Research & Applications http://www.erajournal.org/ojs/index.php/era/article/viewFile/153/264

Eucomis sp are apparently associated with COX-1 and COX-2 inhibition...

OK, bit of an update: I have been slowly sorting through “A preliminary inventory of plants used for psychoactive purposes in southern African healing traditions”. I've been trying to concentrate on plants that are more easily available in Aus. This process is only about half-done, so there will be more to come in a few weeks. Some of these are quite common, so use your head and don't just run our and eat/swill/smoke etc a stack of these without doing some reading and/or preliminary testing :innocent_n: .

Asclepias fruticosa L. [milkweed]syn. Gomphocarpus fruticosus.

Unspecified groups use a snuff of the powdered leaves as a sedative (Van Wyk & Gericke,2000). Asclepias lineolata Schltr is used in Zambia, the root of which is used as a narcotic to catch wild birds (Gilges, 1953). Naturalised and distinctive, should not be too hard to find.

Arctotheca calendula (L.) Levyns - Capeweed

Unspecified groups in South Africa use the juice as an antidote to strychnine (Watt, 1967). Narcotic effects are observed in rabbits (Van der Walt & Steyn, 1940). It is said to be narcotic and mildly poisonous in Australia (no reference given). – Weedy – should be reasonably easy to find

Kalanchoe pinnata (syn. Bryophyllum calycinum, Bryophyllum pinnatum, also known as the Air Plant, Life Plant, Miracle Leaf, Goethe Plant and the Katakataka

Bryophyllum pinnatum leaf aqueous extract (BPE, 25–800 mg/kg i.p.) produced significant (P

Found this via http://www.metafro.be/prelude (interesting site btw) which lists it as some sort of Tabernanthe iboga admixture - as eyedrops?

Tecomaria capensis (Thunb.) Spach subsp. capensis [cape honeysuckle, lungana (Z)]The Zulu take dried powdered bark infusions for sleeplessness in South Africa (Roberts,1990). Unspecified groups are reported to use the plant to induce sleep and relieve pain (Hutchings et al., 1996) – Should be widely available, I've seen some of these growing around the suburbs.

Eucomis autumnalis (Mill.) Chitt. subsp. autumnalis. AKA the Pineapple Lily.

Bulb decoctions are said to produce sleepiness (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962), while an unidentified species is used by Africans in the Ventersdorp area in South Africa for mental disease (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Easy enough to find if you know where to look.

Merwilla plumbea syn Scilla natalensis Planch. [inguduza (Z)]

A plant identified by the author as S. natalensis, by examining live specimens and confirming identification with the healers using colour photographs, was described as being able to induce visions and hallucinations, by methods of administration that were not described (M. Tau, pers. comm.).

Ledebouriu cooperi (Hook. f.) Jessop syn: Scilla cinarescens

v.d. Merwe [icubudwana (Z)]

Bulbs are used to inebriate Sotho boys during circumcision rituals(Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Medicines made with the plant and Phygelius capensis E. Mey. ex Benth. are used to inebriate boys in initiation ceremonies usually causing them to appear stunned and stupefied and to go to sleep (Hutchings et al., 1996).

I've seen both the Scilla sp. for sale online in Aus.

capeweed is very common weed around adelaide.i pulled a couple up just before i read this,lol.

t s t .

Yeah, there are dozens of psychoactive plants from Africa that are not found in any literature.

Julian.

picked 2 flowers and 2 leaves of the capeweed and walked around with them enclosed in my hand,a variation of my usual plant connection meditation.my sinuses had been runny etc for days but cleared up quite quickly and remained fairly clear for the rest of the day.my vision cleared markedly and about 30mins after contact i felt like 'i can see for miles and miles',that psych song by the the who.mostly i was reminded of the effects from smoking some acacia seeds, but i cant sort that out atm.

slept for a couple hours after i got home,could still feel the plants signature on awakening.

an antidote to strychnine?narcotic?....it seemed a very strong effect for such a low level contact,stimulant yet i slept well...dermal absorption?.....

t s t .