The Corroboree
ButterBricks

Seeking Lophophora williamsii -

I am in much the same boat as ButterBricks, I would love some free seeds, or if need be, money can change hands.

• Like 1

I am in much the same boat as ButterBricks, I would love some free seeds, or if need be, money can change hands.

Same stance, be more than happy to accept seeds or bulbs (hopefully bulbs/roots), but would again be more than willing to fork out for a larger cactus with multiple heads, left/gave away most of my garden at my last house, but I could always trade on a credit if ppl are cool with that.

bulbs??? loph.willi. bulbs? :scratchhead::lol:

• Like 2

bulbs??? loph.willi. bulbs? scratchhead.gifbiggrin.gif

Ahhh, lol, you know, like the 'blubish' roots :P

Hey guys, You've gotta be in Australia. Plz PM me if SWIY can help out, tanks again.

If you can't find anyone willing to give you some for free, you could save up the $4 needed to buy some seeds here

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/Website/Shamanmainpageframeset.htm

Plant, nurture, wait a few decades and you'll have one beautiful ornamental cactus.

If you can't find anyone willing to give you some for free, you could save up the $4 needed to buy some seeds here

http://www.shaman-au...ageframeset.htm

Plant, nurture, wait a few decades and you'll have one beautiful ornamental cactus.

Haha, thanks. I'm aware of the site but I didn't actually think of checking for this strain. Considering cultivation is relatively exponential, I was kinda hoping for a head start.

To readers, I dunno if 'free' is the right term, I'm more than willing to cash up (as it's really only fair), but that said, I don't plan on leaving you with a large profit margin.

For those who don't require anything other than postage (There’s no way I’m letting you pay postage), I do intend on repaying the favour.

It's a good time to get into learning how to graft around the forum here butter bricks et al. There are two free Pereskiopsis threads, (a small cactus that makes grafting tiny seeds easy and fast) and you just need to get hold of some seeds. Lopho's are not illegal to possess in NSW. I believe currently they are in the ACT and Qld <-- weird shitty law but it was passed some time ago from what my poor memory is recalling.

That said I also believe that many cactus collectors, and I do mean actual collectors, not eaters, consider lopho's to be an essential part of their collections. They are such beautiful plants and for me they have a freakin massive energy about em! The first time I saw one in the flesh I was literally speechless it was so beautiful - I still have that one now.

I find that Loph's are particularly hard to part with, (but thats just me) I tend to give them to close friends who I know will look after them and watch them grow as they grow old with them. I get goodness just from being around mine, I'd never eat em.

All that said there are usually a few available on e b ay under 'button cactus' - but IMO learn to raise seeds n' graft and you will have a stack of lophs in a year or two.

peace

It's a good time to get into learning how to graft around the forum here butter bricks et al. There are two free Pereskiopsis threads, (a small cactus that makes grafting tiny seeds easy and fast) and you just need to get hold of some seeds. Lopho's are not illegal to possess in NSW. I believe currently they are in the ACT and Qld <-- weird shitty law but it was passed some time ago from what my poor memory is recalling.

That said I also believe that many cactus collectors, and I do mean actual collectors, not eaters, consider lopho's to be an essential part of their collections. They are such beautiful plants and for me they have a freakin massive energy about em! The first time I saw one in the flesh I was literally speechless it was so beautiful - I still have that one now.

I find that Loph's are particularly hard to part with, (but thats just me) I tend to give them to close friends who I know will look after them and watch them grow as they grow old with them. I get goodness just from being around mine, I'd never eat em.

All that said there are usually a few available on e b ay under 'button cactus' - but IMO learn to raise seeds n' graft and you will have a stack of lophs in a year or two.

peace

Hey there, Thanks for the time to reply! smile.gif

Hehe, Yea I know what you mean they are a pretty amazing cactus. I won't deny I have plans on consuming several assorted plants … but I've had a sudden call to horticulture! Plants are amazing, and with my current commitments I can actually still have them with a job, Uni and little monies in my pocket. As you often have to just kinda *sigh* and say maybe later with a lot of things.. which sucks because life has enought constrains as it is.

Yea, I just got a job in a nursery and bought a couple books of ebay on grafting so any hopefully wont just fail and die when I get some and give it a shot. - Can you recommend anything in particular to graft onto? Because there are different growth rates, etc.., etc.., right?

But yea, thanks for giving me the time of day.. really in sighting post there.

Cheers.

i was like you butterbricks 2 years ago , but now i have plants i have grown from seed which have made their own seed! expect a few losses but its easy to do get some pereskiopsis and never look back. :rolleyes:

graftin to peres

http://forum.auscact...kiopsis-t55.htm

seeds in oz

http://www.seedsaust....net/page2.html

Edited by blowng

hey bb there is also a pinned thread at the top of the cactus sub forum which contains a link to a grafting book a member here put together. It's a great resource and has worked well for me.

there are a number of places to get lopho seeds... you could always post a thread asking if anyone has some for sale?

Sab sells em: http://shaman-australis.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=27_237

Pereskiopsis are good to graft seedlings onto as long as you avoid the annoying glochids. As stated there are two threads going ATM giving em away for free here.

peace

edit: there are a number of lophs going on e bay at the moment... look in cactus section and they are usually titled 'button' cactus. hope you work it out.

Edited by kindness

$51.00 a 100?

wow, kinda pricey, must be Jack & the Bean-stalk seeds...:wink:

afaik that's a really decent price for them in Australia. The site is run by a good member here and afaik he would be trying to do the best price he can.

for the life of me i cant graft onto persekiopsis. maybe 1 out of 10 take.

alot better odds grafting onto trich for me.

i have NFI when it comes to graftig. so envious of u pros!

I found the success / fail ratio was greatly influenced by humidity. I kept mine in a plastic tub with air holes in the bottom, spray misting the inside once or twice a day for about a week to two weeks... (not directly at the grafts lol) even ones that were sort of falling off would take after a while. Oh and having them somewhere warm without direct light - but I'm sure you know all this anyway incog' - dunno if I would even be able to graft to pere's now given the fricken shakes I've got lol

maybe 6 or 7 out of 10 I reckon took.

Trich grafting for me is the goods when they are bigger :) - after their time on pere's.

thats just how I have done it in the past....

peace