The Corroboree
Heffa

Lights for growing

Whether you need to start off seedlings inside, have to bring them in for a few days because of bad weather or want a perfectly controlled environment for your plants, they will (amongst other things) need light.

The question being asked is simply 'What lights give the plant/seed/cactus the necessary requirements for it to survive'

What globes will give off heat as well as the required growing requirements?

What is the best globe for most lighting situations (Top of the range)?

What is the ideal globe for those who want a temporary light (cheap and easily attainable)?

I'm currently using a 75W incandescent and I have my plants sitting by the window to collect natural light, it seems to do the trick. If you are worried about seedlings getting to cold then you could use a heating mat.

Cheap, easy and temp just for your purpose would be simply a few CFL's + 1 cfl UV light, all cheap at bunnings (you can pick the fittings up there to), about 4 normal household "energy saving" 75w+ cfls would do the trick, the uv light (purple light) helps, when i was building my system some people said UV helps some said cfl is fine, the UV was $10 from bunnings so i just got 1 + 4 cfls, i use my set up to germinate cactus seeds, and it does a fantastic job. If you want something a bit more professional i say forget about HPS and go for the new LED lights, you can pick up a LED ring from ebay for $40 and according the the research they seem like the next best thing, other wise a HPS + ballest will set you back $400, you you can spend $20 at bunnings for a cheap system that will acually work, or $50 on ebay for something a bt more professional, honestly jsut forget about HPS.

-Vual

• Like 1

Thanks for that,

So would you say that any bulb can provide light that will encourage growth?

I was under the impression that only high pressure sodium lights worked.

Heat pad and UV (blacklight) have already been purchased. I like your idea Vual as there is no natural light nearby. But its good to know the amount of options out there.

Thanks again guys

what are you trying to grow?

HPS works well with growing and flowering, MH works great for growing.

LEDs and fluros are going to save you money with yout power bill but you have to keep them close to the plants.

Im am trying out some color 96 fluro tubes and they seem to be working great in my tropical greenhouse.

peace

zero

Not just really any light heffa, Those old light bulbs dont work (the non energy saving ones) you will need to get the "new style" light bulbs there called CFL (Compact Flue-sent Light) so its just like using fluro, you still need to supply the right UV light waves, a normal (old school energy waisting bulb) wont really do this. I keep my fluro's about 1-2 inches from my plants. A lot of debate about UV flueros (Blacklights) i say they are great , others say they are not, best do your own research. Really depends on your budget :P

HPS are not the only lights to work, theres alot of fanboys that think thats the case, If you calculated the spend on ballest + bulbs + energy bill then use the exact same amount of cash you spend on that buying LED rings + CFLS + Blacklights then i persionaly think that would be better, there was a point were i could back this up with research but its been a while since i did research this, look into UV waves and i am pritty sure LED's came out on top (not including no need for cooling , etc) jsut trying to pass on what i concluded.

Just found this...

It goes against everything i said but i think the guy who wrote the article is bias trying to sell "Grow Lights".

Black Light

Black lights emit long wave ultraviolet UV light and are used to charge phosphorescent or fluorescent paint or to illuminate certain chemicals, materials or fluids that glow in the dark when illuminated by UV light.

Grow Light

Grow lights emit light in the electromagnetic spectrum that best promotes photosynthesis. Grow lights mimic the light spectrum that comes from the sun. This allows horticulturists to grow plants indoors that need outdoor light.

Types

Both black lights and grow lights also come in incandescent, LED high-pressure sodium and metal-halide versions, but none provide the full spectrum of light a fluorescent grow light does. Incandescent and LED black lights tend to give off too much visible light and not enough long wave UV light.

Black Light Safety

While short and medium wave ultraviolet light can damage eyes, ultraviolet light of the type emitted by black lights is safe for the eyes. Black lights operate at the 365 nanometer (nm) wavelength and use a 320 nm filter to prevent eye damage.

Grow Light Safety

Because sunburn occurs in the short and medium UV range (below 320 nm), grow lights pose no risk of skin or eye damage. Grow lights exclude damaging UV and infrared light altogether.

Read more: The Difference Between Grow Lights & Blacklights | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6768183_difference-between-grow-lights-blacklights.html#ixzz0vLtavVFP

If i remember correctly im sure if you mix UV + CFL you get the perfect spectrum??

Edited by vual
  • Like 1

Cactus propagation (from seed) is what is being attempted, with a small heat pad below.

At this present time, a 15 watt clear incandescent oven pilot light is being used to simply ensure heat and some light is being given to the seeds, while the matter of what type of bulb should be used is being discussed. :)

Hi Heffa,

Ok cactus seeds, well all that oven light is doing is giving off a bit of heat, its the same type of bulb they use in salt lamps and ovens.

most of my plants are all grown useing CFLs and it does the trick, I find it is best to keep them only a few inches away.

cant talk about useing blacklight for plants but I have one spare and will be put to good use from now on.

other than that keen them moist and warm with the right lighting and when they are big enough get them outside :)

peace

zero

• Like 1

Ceramic metal halide bulbs are good

nice broad spectrum compared to alot of other lamps

shitter is the dont go higher that 400w im pretty sure

this is cmh spectrum compared to standard hps

cdmspd.jpg

and you can also get combination mh/hps lamps that have a nice spectrum

led setups are good are are prob the future but there too new imo

digital ballasts are to new too, supposedly certain folk can detect and distinguish their extreamly high frequency easily

• Like 1

Thanks heaps for the help guys, I have scrapd the pilot light and chucked in a 240volt mini spiral fluro bulb and although i have been unsuccessful in sprouting the cactus seeds, i have been able to propagate seeds from other plants (that need warmth and light) very successfully :)

I might head down to St Vinnies and pick up some more lamps or fittings for some more bulbs. This has defiantly inspired me, thanks again.

HID are good if you need light intensity at a greater distance for seedlings fluros are the best choice id be wary of some of the cheap ebay LEDs i think a lot of chinese exporters are taking advantage of the LED bandwagon flogging off cheap LED panels when i was looking into them (awhile ago) i couldnt get specifics on most of those lights all they would say was there were x amount of red and x amount of blue dont quote me but i dont think its that simple when it comes to LED spectrum output

I too have been looking into LEDs and I think the only was to do it is to source your own and make the panels yourself because there is no info on auction sites etc.

does anyone out there know where I can buy Blue LEDs 420NM and Red LEDs 680-690NM