The Corroboree
jay6785

Idea for a self made doco

Hi Guys,

I was having a good think the other day and came up with what I thought to be a pretty awesome idea...

I was thinking to create a documentary basically showing different drugs and their effects over two months. I am not sure how it could be done, what varibles there should be (should I continue at work, should it be in a locked house where someone brings supplys, how much of each drug etc.) but the idea is to give a visual show to the public what happens to a drug/alcohol user if they use thier poison of choice and show the withdrawal.

Kind of like that idiot that ate at macccas for a month straight.

The main point would be to show that alcohol is far more damaging and scary than most drugs especially cannabis.

I think a video diary showing 2 months of pot use and then quitting, compared to 2 months of alcohol use then quitting could be extremley interesting to show people just how safe marijuana is.

Just an idea can you guys help brainstorm a bit, do not mind if someone steals my idea because it is for the good of the cause :P

I think 'edutainment' (i.e a silly antic in a withdarwal) is kind of what convinces people, rather than boring factual studies and docos. I guess this from the way that the guy who eats at maccas for a month works, by simply showing disgusting scenes and silly commentary. It doesn't help either that there are alot of beer swilling morons around who look down on 'druggies' and maybe they need to be educated in a way that holds their attention, i.e a dumbarse reality tv style doco.

Edited by jay6785

Its already been done. Superhigh Me. This comedian Gary Cohen quits pot for a month and does all these tests and then smokes everyday for a month and does the same tests. It may not be totally acurate but its a good watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111833/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Me

Interesting that is similiar to what I want to do, but doesn't really show alcohol alongside..really just some guy getting stoned for a month.

I.e I want to have it set out like a diary, day 1 cones, then cut to day 1 alcohol. I think around the withdrawing part the differences will become pretty crazy. Espcically with all the hallcinating, vomitting and seizuring that alcohol withdrawal can involve.

Edited by jay6785

It sounds a bit like what Myles Barlow just did on ABC on his new show the other night.

Except he got addicted to everything he could at once, I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

But back to the point would 1 month be enough to illustrate the effects of abusing any substance ?

It would give an indication but I don't know if it really show the full effects as compared to someone who has had along term problem.

The drying out withdrawl period would be interesting though.

I've seen people do some weird stuff when the pot runs out ie dregging out the bong etc, they can also become very short tempered and irrational.

Some people handle cold turkey a lot better than others too, it would be interesting to see it done with groups from both sexes to see the different cold turkey reactions and how they deal with it.

I think that you need to do it on a group of people, not just yourself, because your opinion is biased (you say that you want to show that alcohol is more damaging), so it wouldn't really be very educational. I think you need to do it for longer than 2 months as well to get any real results. I've seen documentarys like you want to make and the people that get addicted to cannabis and other drugs seemed much worse and more damaged than the alcoholics.

I have been living a sequel to SuperHigh me for 11years....

Edited by vual

there's no way on earth you'd get those withdrawals from only 2 months of alcohol abuse. I'd nearly say after 2 months the cannabis withdrawal would have more impact... 2 years tho? now alcohol will bite back.

I would say it depends how much you drink, I think over 10 standard drinks a day and you will defintly see some effects. Cannabis withdrawal would have an impact as well I would say.

Point of the doco would be not to prove pot is harmless, but that alcohol is just a drug like pot.

dude your dreaming, 10 drinks a day for 2 months is nothing...

10 cones a day for 2 months is the same...