The Corroboree
bit

Midwinter photos

Hey guys, some pics of my plants in their semi-dormant state midwinter - although the seedlings just don't seem to know the meaning of the word? They're getting fatter and bigger at a rapid rate!

_MG_9857.jpg

_MG_9856.jpg

_MG_9855.jpg

_MG_9850.jpg

_MG_9849.jpg

_MG_9846.jpg

_MG_9843.jpg

_MG_9842.jpg

_MG_9841.jpg

Hawt, nice photography. Like the look of the tricho argentensis.

great photos as usual. The argentenis sure is hot digity

for the record, the species name is not normally capitalised I believe. Maybe im just too nerdy :P

wow sexy dew drops dude, what camera do you use?

Are you using ICECUBE trays for the cacti seedlings?

Edited by vual

nice! i agree the argentenis is hawt... your spachianus look like one i bought named T.coquimbanus

Cheers guys :)

wow sexy dew drops dude, what camera do you use?

Are you using ICECUBE trays for the cacti seedlings?

Camera is a canon eos 5DII with a 50mm f1.4 lens in this case. Those are not ice cube trays - they are seedling trays, each "pottle" is 55mm (2 inches) across. The shallow depth of field in the photos makes them look more miniature than they actually are ;)

The spach is self named - hence the (?) - I'll have a better idea when it flowers one day.

Edited by bit

Beautiful pics as always bit, thank you.

Seedlings are looking really nice too mate, they will go nuts once the seasons change, nuts i tells ya.

Beautiful pics as always bit, thank you.

Seedlings are looking really nice too mate, they will go nuts once the seasons change, nuts i tells ya.

I've got hundreds if not thousands of the buggers. Not particularly looking forward to repotting them all!

haha, yeh is a chore for sure and then ya gotta find suitable space for them all. Have fun :P

nice shots, VERY nice plants. I especially like the terscheckii. does anyone here have anything to say about them in regards to bioassay? its a very intrigueing cactus. maybe there are some interesting "hidden" alkalkoids in it, somwhat similar to macrogonus and its sleepy alkaloid..

Bit...whats going on with the shots...you've changed your style or something, the blurring edges etc, don't often see that with your photography, it's usually pin sharp and light focus is always bang on...not that they aren't great shots, but I didn't recognize them as your traditional work...the borders and your logo are missing too.

Hey Chiral - I was messing around with our 50mm f1.4 lens which has teensy depth of field at f1.4, and it's not an L-class lens either so the overall quality of the pics are not as good as they could be if I had paid $3k for the L version instead of $500 for this one. I've also upgraded the camera to a full frame sensor 5DII - the full frame sensor decreases depth of field again. If I was shooting with top quality pics in mind I would have used a smaller aperture to bring more into focus (and a smaller aperture increases sharpness too)(actually I would probably use a different lens as I'm not overly fond of the quality of the background blur this lens creates). However, it is the middle of winter, the plants are not looking outstanding, its cold and damp out, and above all else I'm just plain lazy. :lol: I tend to only put my logo on my best work these days, quick and dirty photoshoots don't qualify hehe :) I do hope that the composition of the photos is not too dissimilar from my previous work however?

Edited by bit

stunning photos, especially the bridgesii.

good to see nz cacti too.

Amazing photos of great looking cacti!

How old are these seedlings?

Cheers guys, seedlings are 1 year 5 months old, coming through their second winter. Those are actually the smallest of them, some are nearing 10cm already :) I'll need to repot again this side of christmas, and start selling them off!

very nice photos bit :)

love em all.

have fun potting up all those seedlings. ;p

the photos are top notch, I like the background blurring.