The Corroboree
dragonfly

what shops sell kava

Does anyone know where kava can be bought in Australia (not including the internet)?

xxx sells quality stuff, otherwise any natural nedicine shop or supermarket and many chemist sell a 'contaminated' and poor quality capsule. 30 capsules is usually round $33, a baggie from xxx is $60 last check but was probably higher quality and amount than the other sources. Someone here also ordered from fiji etc with success.

[admin: please note that the importation of kava in the mail is illegal. while reflections may well kno someone who has had success, this is no different to people who have sucess importing ecstasy pills as far as the law is concerned.

edited to delete incriminations.]

must be a cheaper source around...

Edited by kalika

xxx sell 50 grams for $25. must be a cheaper source around...

Pretty expensive, 50 grams wouldn't go far. Is it the type that you are supposed to vigorously mix then strain, or is it the 'instant' type you mix into a drink, and no need to strain.

Edited by Torsten

kava is illegal isnt it

kava is illegal isnt it

I don't believe that it is illegal to buy or sell. It is only illegal to bring more than 2kg with you from overseas.

I don't believe that it is illegal to buy or sell. It is only illegal to bring more than 2kg with you from overseas.

yeah i thought it was illegal too Velvet hence the price hike in the remaining stock from previous mentioned shops. Never tried the pills prolly not worth it. Dunno if klin still operate..

Edited by -YT-

klin was the best i love that shit and really miss it ay

good to see ya YT :)

Thomsons Kava tabs aren't bad and can be found at the chemist or health food store. They seem to be of the same quality as the Mediherb tabs, if that means anything to ya.

IME 5-6 tabs of the Thomsons or Mediherb tabs was enough to get a reasonably strong effect. I found the tabs gave me the same effect as the xxx powder. Interchangeable IMO (dose dependent of course).

certainly was good velvet! :wink:

Cheers for that Sonny ill grab some next time im in the health food shop, might as well for a comparison.

there are several threads in the legals forum about this. It is definitely illegal to buy, sell, and mail-import kava in all states, EXCEPT the kava products that have a TGA number on them [ie preparations that are approved by the TGA]. It is also technically illegal to possess kava, but it doesn't look like this is being enforced because on-person imports of up to 2kg are still being let in.

there are several threads in the legals forum about this. It is definitely illegal to buy, sell, and mail-import kava in all states, EXCEPT the kava products that have a TGA number on them [ie preparations that are approved by the TGA]. It is also technically illegal to possess kava, but it doesn't look like this is being enforced because on-person imports of up to 2kg are still being let in.

that is interesting, maybe these places that sell it do have it approved by the TGA

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2

many businesses sell illegal products. Smoke shops in Qld still sell pipes and plenty of places sell bongs in NSW, yet both states have legislation against such items. doesn't make them legal and doesn't change the law. some places do it to challenge the law and should be commended for doing so. The kava law a stupid law that was forced upon the TGA from the federal government down [probably as part of the NT intervention thingy].

probably as part of the NT intervention thingy

exactly:

The Australian Government decided to ban the import of kava, apart from small quantities for personal use, as part of its campaign to stamp out child abuse in Aboriginal communities.

According to a statement by Health Minister Tony Abbott and Customs Minister David Johnston announcing the ban, “kava abuse has become an increasingly serious problem in indigenous communities over recent years with the health effects becoming more severe in communities where kava use is not traditional and where excessive consumption occurs.”

Kava was originally introduced to the NT back in the 1980s in an effort to limit alcohol abuse – a kind of methadone for alcoholics – but became used as supplement rather than a substitute, so wanting to ban it in the Territory is understandable

http://www.crikey.com.au/2007/07/11/who-says-kava-is-safe-australia-bans-it/

in the UK it was banned for health reasons:

QA

Who originally assessed the evidence?

The then Medicines Control Agency (MCA), now the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) sought advice on kava kava from two groups of independent experts that advise them on the safety of medicines – the Committee on Safety of Medicines (CSM) and the Medicines Commission. Both found evidence of a risk, in rare cases, of liver damage associated with the use of unlicensed medicines containing kava kava and advised that they should be prohibited in order to protect public health.

Food Standards Agency scientists reviewed the data available to the CSM and MC and assessed the risks for food uses. The Chair of the Committee on Toxicity was consulted on these risks and agreed that consumption of kava kava may be associated with serious liver damage.

QA

What action was taken by the Food Standards Agency in relation to kava kava?

Following consultation with stakeholders, the Agency took the decision that, in the interests of protecting public health, it was necessary to ban the use of kava kava in foods.

QA

What form does this ban take?

Regulations ban the sale, possession for sale, offer, exposure or advertisement for sale, and the importation into England from outside the UK, of any food consisting of, or containing, kava kava.

QA

When did the regulations come into force?

The kava kava in Food (England) Regulations 2002 came into force on 13 January 2003.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/kavakavaban/

Thats interesting. If it was banned in the UK for rare cases of liver damage, the UK should really be banning alcohol too.

Has anyone tried the kava 5x or knows if it is okay just to mix this in with a liquid such as milk or coconut juice, or does it require to be strained?

Also is it really safe to have 5 or 6 of these thompsons kava tablets at a time, since the instructions say only 1 a day?

Edited by dragonfly

dragonfly - it is against our rules to incriminate any individual or business. you have been informed of the law, so there is no excuse in continually making these incriminations. It doesn't matter if an illegal item is publically for sale - if it is illegal you do not mention the source here!! Please edit your previous posts immediately.

Next time you see your posts being tagged as negative you might want to think about why. Thanks to the members who have pointed this out.

dragonfly - it is against our rules to incriminate any individual or business. you have been informed of the law, so there is no excuse in continually making these incriminations. It doesn't matter if an illegal item is publically for sale - if it is illegal you do not mention the source here!! Please edit your previous posts immediately.

Next time you see your posts being tagged as negative you might want to think about why. Thanks to the members who have pointed this out.

look, I am not trying to incriminate anyone. I was just trying to find out where I can buy it. Maybe these companies do sell kava that is approved by the TGA, because they are large, well known companies and they sell it very openly to the public. I doubt that they would want to do anything to incriminate themselves. I have edited my posts, okay.

I'd just like to say that the OP asks where to buy kava, then actually list's some sellers huh.gif...am I missing something..>>>insert brain jokes here.

I'd just like to say that the OP asks where to buy kava, then actually list's some sellers huh.gif...am I missing something..>>>insert brain jokes here.

I only mentioned the sellers after someone replied and told me where it can be bought, okay?

'piper novae hollandiae' is related to the' piper methysticium' (kava kava) and was used by the australian aborigines for a kava like effect. it's found in rain forests all over NSW QLD and NT. I think the leaves are chewed I haven't tried this, anyone else given it a go?

I don't think there are any lactones in novae hollandia. Have chewed various parts to try and establish any effect, but the chavicol taste is overpowering. No numbing though. some forms might work as a betel leaf substitute.

look, I am not trying to incriminate anyone.

look, but you did.

Maybe these companies do sell kava that is approved by the TGA, because they are large, well known companies and they sell it very openly to the public. I doubt that they would want to do anything to incriminate themselves.

Like I said, there are many reason why businesses or individuals may chose to keep selling it, including making a stand against a bad law. or maybe they don't understand the law. fact is that I told you that the legal info on kava is clearly explained in the legals forum and hence does not need to be rehashed here. If you looked there then you would know that the type of products that are being offered for sale can't be TGA approved as they do not come in discrete dosage units. ie plain kava powder can't be TGA approved. Only capsules, tablets, ointments and tinctures can.

I believe you have a bit of a history with these sorts of discussions at other forums and it appears your approach hasn't been appreciated elsewhere either. So if you want to stick around I suggest you tackle these topics with a bit more care and respect. There are ways to obtain the information you seek without making life difficult for others.

There are ways to obtain the information you seek without making life difficult for others.

So how could I have found the answer to my question then? If I didn't ask it I still wouldn't know.

[admin: please note that the importation of kava in the mail is illegal. while reflections may well kno someone who has had success, this is no different to people who have sucess importing ecstasy pills as far as the law is concerned.

Then what could happen to someone who bought it off the internet from a legitimate australian herb company (IM NOT SAYING THERE IS A COMPANY THAT SELLS IT), and the person who bought it off the internet didn't know it was illegal because they were just buying from a well known australian company?

Edited by dragonfly

and the person who bought it off the internet didn't know it was illegal because they were just buying from a well known australian company

Ignorantia juris non excusat