The Corroboree
dr dognutz

Argyreia nervosa

Has anyone had any good results with growing Argyreia nervosa in a cool/temperate climate?

argyreia likes it warm, particularly likes mild automns. You got snow in winter? tell more. min temps are important, you might need to get the plants inside for winter, which is a serious bummer for climbers.

Edited by mutant

Theres no snow here, our ususal winter temps dont get much lower than 6 degrees but its not unusual to get hit with 4-5 frosts per year. wat do you think? :scratchhead:

mine are about 3m tall and theyre not doing so well and its around 4c min at the moment, lost all their leaves and runners starting to die back have 3

Mine are about two years old and they stay in the hothouse over winter but they haven't really done much in the last year.:BANGHEAD2:

Time will tell I guess

i'll have a go at growing them in a pot so they can be mobile in the colder weather... that would be the only way to do it down here i think.

thanks for sharing your experiances guys, i'm a ethno-noob at the moment but im starting to get with the program. :blink:

Are there any interesting plants that do well in cooler regions that anyone would like to suggest?

that plant doesn't do much either, even in the tropics, unless there was a lot of rain, and she has good growing conditions.

i think, it's almost impossible to grow this plant in a container, and to get seeds that way.

the containers would have to be at least as big as a bathtub, to give her ample "root space".

a very special plant you can, sow out over winter and which will do well in the cold is lagochilus inebrians,

one can remove the seeds, out of the herbal stuff mixture. don't know if anyone sells that herb here though.

Thanks Planthelper, that looks like the sort of plant for me. I'll try and track down some tea/seeds today

Argyreia will give seeds, at least she gave to me in a big container a barrel, and yeah it likes water and warm. Does't like dry I think, but it tolerates my drought.

If you got a nice protected spot, the best is to get her to the ground.

having many plants is an advantage, exeperiment..

Argyreia is an amazing experience , as a plant to grow, in warm enough places.

GIve her what she wants, and you'll be amazed,

even if you don't get flowers or seeds

oh she also likes full-on 20-20-20 fert

Thanks Mutant, you guys really are super helpful. My intrest in the wonderful world of ethnobotanicals has increased 1000% since discovering this online community. I've always had a passion but its only now with the advice from everyone here that i feel like actually forfilling that intrest.

thanks again :wink:

Thanks Mutant, you guys really are super helpful. My intrest in the wonderful world of ethnobotanicals has increased 1000% since discovering this online community. I've always had a passion but its only now with the advice from everyone here that i feel like actually forfilling that intrest.

thanks again :wink:

That's how I feel too. Wait until you attend a meet up, that is where you will really get into it.

:)

hey dr dognutz welcome to the forums and congrats on choosing the path of growing plants. I am not into the thing for more than three years or so, but it's really given back so much to me!

I've heard rivea works better in slightly colder climates, and as long as your sure you can control it; Morn glory.

My winter temps get to around 10 and not too much higher than 25. Pretty much as soon as i noticed the air getting cooler, my seedlings began to be majorly affected, they look like they will pull through (just in case you were still considering argyreia).

Cactus from seed is sweet cause they like cold nights warm days with a bita sunshine.

Yumyum

Im going to build i nice humid container over the weeknd for my more tropical loving plants.

yep turbina seems tougher than argyreia ;)