The Corroboree
mutant

Pereskiopsis flowering!!!!

hey one of my pereskiopsis mother plants flowered!!!

P1000669.jpg

P1000673.jpg

P1000672.jpg

Beautiful, big flower :)

• Like 5

Fucking Hell Mutant!

Im speechless ,its considered quite of a feat! Could you please try pollinating it by dropping some pollen on the stigma? It might not be self-fertile but its worth a shot!

Bravo once more! Any observations on the plant? Any wild guesses/ educated guesstimations on what made it flower?

just wondering if you know what species it is?

As far as I know the most common species in Australia is spathulata. which has a red flower according to E Anderson, The Cactus Family.

Mutant, consider yourself one lucky bastard, you are one of the first to make them flower. How old is this plant? :P

Holy Cow :worship:

Mutant that is a seriously impressive feat!

And as Psiloman said, any idea what the flowering trigger may have been?

Ps is that an Acanthocereus hiding behind the Pereskiodsis or a Hylocereus?

Edited by shortly

Awesome mutant, such a beautiful flower

A guy on the nook recently had his flower too.

:drool2:

Very impressive So the cold helps them to flower..? Such a healthy plant you have, yellow flower interesting.

Maybe some companion planting you have done unintentionaly caused it to help flower?

Edited by vual

Very nice man. Actually a very beautiful flower imo. Man, all of my peres are bloody unhealthy as. I can't seem to make them happy. They wont grow leaves at all!! How the fuck? I wanna graft onto them but i doubt any scion would do well regarding the peres shape atm.

Good on ya anyhow mutant!

cheers

beautiful flower, thanks for sharing... had not seen one before!

Man, all of my peres are bloody unhealthy as. I can't seem to make them happy. They wont grow leaves at all!! How the fuck? I wanna graft onto them but i doubt any scion would do well regarding the peres shape atm.

I wouldnt expect too much during winter but i put mine in heavy shade in summer and keep them moist and they normally take off. Or under fluoros they go for gold too

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous! That's the first peres flower I've ever seen. And the buds are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I hope mine will flower as well, anyone knows if they self seed?

Ps is that an Acanthocereus hiding behind the Pereskiodsis or a Hylocereus?

hmmmm not really

there is that almost spineless curvy epiphyllum/selinicereus I forget, a selinicereus I use to graft on [4-5 ribbed], a mesembryanthemum and there might be a hylocereus hidden too in these photos. I don't know which plant you mean, shortly

what might have caused the flowering?

no not cold, we have pretty mild weather.. and it's the middle of the summer, everything is flowering

well I guess, that, like with every cactus, water deprivation is supposed to encourage flowering. These plants [they're many, that is, in these pots] are pretty crowded in there. They haven't been watered a lot, just when I need some fresh cuts for grafts or other wise propagation. They looked pretty hibernated during winter, even thugh they were full exposed.

The mesembryanthemum also makes lots of roots. The pot is longish and pretty big, but like I said I expect some competition taking place in there.

All in all, I sense it's a combination of above things - that's my guestimation anyways :)

thanks for the feedback, I was thrilled to see it too!

[first time it was a worn flower, then 2 days after a wide open one!]

I have not tried to pollinate, must check for any new buds. For some reason I thought it won't be self-fertile...

PS: Oh about the species... no idea, I considered this a spathulata but was never really sure. There is taint of pink in the petals and bud.

ps2: age of the plant? hm... I was given the first cuttings by a friend of Psiloman exactly 2 years ago but these pots were made later, so, these peres are about 12-15 months in these pots.

Edited by mutant

i often wondered how peres flowers would look like...

great shoots, great healthy plant, awsome flower, thx for showing us!

maybe the flowering was induced by the very long photoperiode currently happening at your location.

pretty flower mutant :)

I could be going against the flow here but I'm personally pretty happy that these guys don't flower and set seed easily... imagine weeding peres. Farout - now that would be a nightmare.

• Like 2

Mutant.. you freak, one of a kind, nobody's done this yet.. you are a mutant with you're horticultural skills :lol: good work!

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1