The Corroboree
Yawning Man

Think globally, act locally.

Hey guys

I remember hearing someone say this a while ago. Or reading it somewhere. It's a saying that has spawned from the environmental movement which basically means (for me anyway) don't worry about saving the Amazon on the other side of the world, there's some really unique environments in your backyard that could do with some help.

I swear it's the perfect philosophy. It can be applied to everything. Like when i hear people say shit like "Oh people aren't as friendly these days" or "No body goes out of their way to help anyone any more" you've got no hope in making an entire population turn around and start helping each other. Do it yourself. How many people who say things like that even know their next door neighbour? Or cross the street to help somebody. All of the great problems were at one point small. Lop them at the base. Grass roots movements and all that.

It the sort of thinking that can be easily managed in a small size i.e your street. Know what i mean. Like in melb for example, all the violence thats been in the mainstream media. People freak out about it, yet sit back and wait for it to sort itself out. You cant address the problems of one city, but you could probably do something about it in your immediate surroundings. The people you see getting in their cars every morning are probably as concerned as the next person. Yet no communication leads to the ignorant silence.

One persons decision can add enough weight to get their cause noticed by another person. Then it snowballs. I had some other good points and shit but i always forget them when it comes to crunch time lol. Stay posted for Edits or replys whatever.

cheers

Nice post, YM.

My group of friends (including me, of course) when I was a teenager would rant and rave about the way society was destroying the planet but would flick their ciggie butts into the gutter. Would talk about Peace, love, unity, respect and then discuss how to get revenge on the guy who ripped them off in a dodgy deal. Complain about kids in poverty and go and spend all their money on clothes and drugs.

I like to think I've come a long way since then and I try to make a difference in my immediate surrounds. I'm not at zero carbon footprint, but I make little changes where I can. Still spend most of my money on stuff for myself, but make sure some goes overseas to kids who need it.

I think you're right in terms of people sitting back and allowing stuff to happen. It's unfortunately a natural instinct now to not put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. I've narrowly avoided a few beatings by stepping in to help someone getting hassled, but it's the situations that I haven't stepped in for that I regret.

Still growing in my ability to do the right thing all the time, but getting better all the time. Thanks for posting this... good for us to think about.

"Think globally act locally"

I loved this phrase from when quite younger. I still love this phrase.

• Like 1

LOL @ Rabael. Yeah man that sounds all too familiar. I just think even the smallest act of kindness to a person is enough to move fucking mountains. Probably because it's so uncommon. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but there's so many social problems in society that i think would be changed by peoples approach/attitude. Global warming, get your self a water tank and some solar panels. It's not gonna solve the problem, but it's gonna help.

And i too am always changing and learning. Always have always will. Sorry, massive brain block.

cheers

interesting to catch this as i was thinking along the same lines today regarding talking to random people in the public and how much impact it can have on peoples lives. I watch apparent mature people who demand respect like work authorities be so fucking rude to people for absolutely no reason and things just turn nasty in a flash. It's frustrating when you are the one of say a group of 10 who has to be the mature one and actually treat people like people, especially when you are the lowest rank in the specific case!

Made an effort to talk to multiple members of the public today while at work and it was really comforting seeing the absolute shine I got out of these folk, from situations that could turn into an argument, treat each other like friends and it's almost like we become instant friends, had to stop myself from hugging some of them LOL 'cause i'm just so fed up with how fucked up everything is and to get a bit of joy out of people in an area that is far from that is very rewarding and i think everyone came away thinking 'shit did that just happen', like a breath of fresh air just kicked them up the arse! all from SIMPLE communication.

Edited by gerbil

Pay It Forward is a 2000 American dramatic film based on the novel of the same name by Catherine Ryan Hyde. It stars Haley Joel Osment as a boy who launches a good-will movement, Helen Hunt as his single mother, and Kevin Spacey as his social-studies teacher.

(Don't worry about the underlined,i didn't do it,just cut and paste) A kid in the movie does something good for someone else on the promise that they pay it forward,meaning that they do something good for someone else, so on, and so forth. Not that we should give and expect the receiver to give, but there should be more of it.

Having never heard the phrase 'Think globally act locally' before reading this post, it's managed to come up at least 10 times in the past week! I can't believe i've never seen it anywhere before until recently! I'm now even a proud owner of a 'Think globally, act locally' Bumper sticker! (just so happened to be the last one in the store too, weird) unsure.gif

I know where your coming from Rabaelthaza, being just 20 years old I've only recently noticed that the ranting and raving of myself and friends, complaining about the way society is and how fucked up the world seems to be isn't doing anyone any good. I think it takes a bit for people to sit down and actually have a think about what they're doing to help. let alone coming to realize that all they've been doing is complaining about the way things are but not trying to do anything about it. Starting small is at least a start, complaining is just what comes after having partially woken up.

Fyde.

Having never heard the phrase 'Think globally act locally' before reading this post, it's managed to come up at least 10 times in the past week! I can't believe i've never seen it anywhere before until recently! I'm now even a proud owner of a 'Think globally, act locally' Bumper sticker! (just so happened to be the last one in the store too, weird) unsure.gif

I know where your coming from Rabaelthaza, being just 20 years old I've only recently noticed that the ranting and raving of myself and friends, complaining about the way society is and how fucked up the world seems to be isn't doing anyone any good. I think it takes a bit for people to sit down and actually have a think about what they're doing to help. let alone coming to realize that all they've been doing is complaining about the way things are but not trying to do anything about it. Starting small is at least a start, complaining is just what comes after having partially woken up.

Fyde.

Maybe the world isn't as fucked up as we tend to believe or as the media keep telling us (or maybe it is). I'm not 20 any more but 50 and I have been ranting and raving about the same things since I was 15. I am old enough to remember the swinging 60s but was too young to enjoy them :P. Night follows day, day follows night and around and around we go again :wacko: People will kill people, governments will be corrupt, corporations will rule the world and worse still all this happens with the blessing of the majority of the people. In the 1970s we were battling Global cooling. Sad I know but thats my take from the past 50 years. Respect all and what a wonderful place this will be...not in my life time I'm afraid...maybe if we evolve to a higher level. Lets hope....

RESPECT :worship:

While an interesting catchphrase it may be inadequate.

Much better one should act BOTH locally and globally.

Edited by Mycot