The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jumpstarter

Help for ID

Question

Whilst taking a walk me and some others spotted a heap of these in a cow paddock, we are fairly certain they are good, but just want to make sure before we take it any further.

post-7498-127797348604_thumb.jpg

post-7498-12779735973_thumb.jpg

post-7498-12779736372_thumb.jpg

We also spotted these ones aswell...

post-7498-127797369546_thumb.jpg

post-7498-12779737499_thumb.jpg

post-7498-127797380416_thumb.jpg

post-7498-127797388289_thumb.jpg

Any help to ID would be much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

i'm pretty sure they're all bunk. to my eye a nice looking species & certainly a bit of a look-alike but no idea what they are & a painful death upon eating them is a distinct possibility.. what do others reckon?

Edited by paradox

Yeah, I'd be turfing them too.

No idea what they are, but for starters there's no blueing on any of the stems. Also, the caps don't seem to have the right texture (not the word I'm looking for, but I'm tired), the gills are the wrong kind of brown and the stems look too brittle.

Superficially, they look like the goods, in fact, I think I've picked a few of these (or something very similar) myself thinking they were subs. They may be harmless, but it's not worth the risk finding out by ingesting. I second Paradox - Do not eat.

Bugga....thats alot of look alikes.

definately wouldnt be eating those

To OP:

why did you think they're good?? they don't even blue. Read up on some real mushroom taxonomy friend, so that you don't play with danger like this

did you take spore prints ?

they second batch looks like Collybia sp.

I think the forums should really make a good sticky for noobs.

Those two stickies of Naja are good but not noob friendly.

I can help by writing a general draft , but it also has to be written with diplomacy, so as not to be accused of suggesting people to go out and look for magic mushrooms.

Stamet's bible on psilo genuses can be easily found on the net on pdf. With this book and a bit of fielf work, you can't miss what a psilo/panaeollus looks like. Anyways. I just offered as I see lots of noobs missing the point.

• Like 1

we are fairly certain they are good

lol :lol:

Jumpstarter, no matter who told you those are hallucinogen; he doesnt know what he´s talking about. Most of them dont even resemble psilocybes. This may have been the closest to death you´ve ever been. Congratulations for being lucky and for taking the time to ask one more time! I dont even know what to tell you because i dont understand how someone can collect mushrooms without even knowing what to look for. The only thing i can say is that you should 1. do some serious reading and 2.go out in the field and take someone with you who knows about mushrooms and all their variabilities. Check the local newspapers for upcoming mushroom events. Many old guys give free advice about how to ID mushrooms. And dont ask em about drug shrooms caus they will call the cops on you. Just learn the basics from them and the rest will follow.

And please stop being fairly certain about a mushroom anymore until you have it down cold. For your very own safety. I know how it feels to be a newbie in the world of shrooms and i can totally sympathize with your enthusiasm but this was really dangerous. That´s the type of mix-up that is responsible for most deadly mushroom intoxications. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks for all the responses, i appreciate it.

Being "fairly certain" wont ever make me try something, that is why i have put it to the professionals for clarification.

I used the "Mushroom ID for dummies" thread for the information before hand, but once out in the field without any references i have clearly forgot about some vital information, upon returning home and going over all the information on the forums here and some books of mushroom ID it became obvious to me that they were bogus, but still thought it a good idea to show the members here, and hopefully these pictures can be of aid in the "Deadly Imposters" section as there arnt any photos clearly describing what has been discussed here.

So my efforts have not been in vain as i now know for certain what to avoid in the future. I hope you dont think any little of me because of my mistake, for this is a step forwards for me and i endeavor to learn more from the people who know it best.

Thanks again for your clarification,

Jumpstarter ;)

the most important thing is being able to learn from mistakes

That´s the type of mix-up that is responsible for most deadly mushroom intoxications.

well not quite [that would be probably Amanita phalloides mixed for edible Volvariella or Agaricus species], but I suspect mixing psilo with galerina is not a rare mistake, seeing how many inexperienced people are thrilled to go out and hunt for them.

Like EG said, learn the basics of general identifications. Take some book/notes to have with you on the field. Take notes and photos while on the field. Come back home and read up on the net and observe closely your finds comparing to lots of photos.

So my efforts have not been in vain as i now know for certain what to avoid in the future.

Jumpstarter ;)

for sure man, it's impossible to know someone from a few posts on a forum so i don't know you from a bar of soap but it's good to see at least you have the interest & for-thought to upload pics & inqire, defintely can't blame you for that, thats how we learn. when you get into mycology you pretty quickly learn not to ever be brash in your id of anything that might be eaten... as you just found out mistakes are VERY easy to make & i'm sure you know you seriously don't want to be messing with mushrooms you are not 2000000% certain of