The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Just got my Khat

My Catha Edulis plant turned up in the mail today (second order from SAB, I love you guys).

Few questions.

1. How long can I leave it in the little pot it came in?

2. When I transplant, should it be to a bigger pot, or into the ground.

3. Should I keep it in direct sunlight all day, or an area that gets sunlight and some shade during the day too.

4. When I transplant, what kind of soil should it be into? I have some normal potting mix, some cactus mix I got from Bunnings, and just some rough garden soil.

I've read quite a few guides on growing C. Edulis, but I just thought I'd verify some things I wasn't 100% on.

[ 18. January 2005, 16:44: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Originally posted by apothecary:

1. How long can I leave it in the little pot it came in?

Khat will not suffer from getting root bound too much, so there is generally no urgency to pot up. However, we grow most plantys to their maximum size in those 3" post, so if you want new growth you better pot up or plant out.

2. When I transplant, should it be to a bigger pot, or into the ground.

We like to plant out from 4" pots rather than from 3" or 5"+. If your soil is free draining and fertile then you don't have to wait. But if your soil is clay then it is better to pot up first. If your soil is water logged then you should only pot up into pots anyway as khat will not tolerate this.

3. Should I keep it in direct sunlight all day, or an area that gets sunlight and some shade during the day too.

Our plants are fully hardened off, so plant them appropriate to their conditions (yes, khat can go into full sun). When transplanting/repotting it is always a good idea to make sure there is plenty of water available and to maybe provide some shade.

4. When I transplant, what kind of soil should it be into? I have some normal potting mix, some cactus mix I got from Bunnings, and just some rough garden soil.

Repotting khat is best into a sandy potting mix (ie 2/3 potting mix and 1/3 cactus mix). However if you plan to plant out after the next re-pot then you might as well make a mix of your garden soil and some cactus mix to get theplant used to the new medium.

• Like 1

Thanks again Torsten.

You keep posting replies that informative, and I might have to marry you or something :D