The Corroboree
Dr Syntax

Help to identidfy whether these mushrooms are active

Question

Could some one please advise me whether these mushrooms are active. The stems and cap turned blue when picked, I found these mushrooms growing in pine needles on the road side.post-7576-127727669117_thumb.jpgpost-7576-127727676144_thumb.jpgpost-7576-12772767824_thumb.jpg

post-7576-127727669117_thumb.jpg

post-7576-127727676144_thumb.jpg

post-7576-12772767824_thumb.jpg

post-7576-127727669117_thumb.jpg

post-7576-127727676144_thumb.jpg

post-7576-12772767824_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

May need to get some better photos. They are extremely blurry

We used to have a pub in Hobart called Dr Syntax. i remember many a night drinking there.

you need to post clear pictures, but i can see the bluing on that first cap, so my inclination would be that they are subs, but the photos arent clear to go yay or nay.

they look a bit old and dried out whatever they are.

cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

yeah pretty poor photos one looks the goods though. but don't take my word for it.

I will upload better photos of the mushrooms tomorrow so please be patient with me as I am new to this board

Kind Regards

Dr_Syntax

I will upload better photos of the mushrooms tomorrow so please be patient with me as I am new to this board

Kind Regards

Dr_Syntax

Don't sweat, Just letting you know, its all good :)

another option for ya mr syntax is to look at all the billions of photos of psilocybe subaeruginosa that are on this site and also do a google on it.. become really familiar with them and what they look like and all the characteristics of them. it might take a while to read about them and become used to some of the terms but after a while it will all sink in.

do you know how to take a spore print? if not...

1. take the freshest looking of your specimens, or all of them if they are all in about the same state.

2. Get some white paper, (you are doing this just to see what they look like not to keep em)

3. place the mushroom cap, with stem removed, so it sits well with the gills facing down, on the paper.

4. (looking at the pictures above they look dry so...) place a drop of water on the cap of the mushroom, you can do this by dipping your finger in a glass of water and then touching the top of the mushroom cap

5. Get a glass and put it over the cap

6. wait from an hour to a few days and the mushroom will drop spores.

you can keep the mushroom dropping spores by keeping it hydrated. Sub's are tough little buggers and handle being re-hydrated in this manner very well. Oh it is worth keeping the mushroom you are taking spores from in a bit of a neutrally warm portion of your house... not near the heater and not in the bathroom i.e. not really warm and dry not cold and wet.

peace