The Corroboree
ubza_1234

my loph! my poor loph!

i noticed this lil brown spot. obviously i'm gonna let it dry right out now, but is there anything else i should do? should i remove the humidity dome? (half coke bottle?) the spot is like when an apple i turns red after you cut it. it's not black, just dark reddy-brown. not slimy or anything only a lil softer then usual cactus flesh. like an apple realy.

i think i'll wack it on top of the heater to dry it out faster perhaps?

thanks guys

bxSmA.jpg

cDZCG.jpg

gotUd.jpg

take off the coke bottle i would, remember they are diff to tricho's lay off water when it starts to get cold.

maybe chuck some maluka honey on it, she should heal up fine tho.

Yeah no need for humidity with a plant that size, the soil looks like it needs to be more free draining also

so yeah remove coke bottle & repot in a more free draining mix in spring

Poor loph indeed-

121908_sz_gods.jpg

dosent look too far gone though, should spring back if you treat it correctly. Do some research, Cozz at the mo your way off!!

Do some research, Cozz at the mo your way off!!

Lol [photo] lophty_tricho

ubza you should be glad and consider yrself lucky it lived so long in the dome

take off the dome and dry the wound and nearby soil would with any way, fan is OK, fan with heat faster

I would also try to remove at least the top soil layer and replace it with gravel, but there's more risk doing this in winter, cause you might damage the roots and stress the plant even more...

oh, and stop watering for a while

Edited by mutant

it lives upstairs by a window so it never gets freezing. I put it a meter infront of the heater, so it's not hot but quite warm and with a breeze blowing from it. Hows that?

The problem with that rot is that it's largest presence of infection may be hidden and possibly too late. I had a similar button (around 3cm high) recently i pushed as an experiment, watering lots and early on in graft stage during colder and more dormant stage of year, small bit of basal rot appeared, went to regraft and the only salvageable non infected bit was around the top 3mm; sometimes though it can just be on the outer and heal up fine. You soil looks too organic, heavy and wet, lophs generally do best in a mineral based mix.

Sounds good.. never water lophs in winter, they go dormant (hence their slowed growth). Even in the height of summer you should let the soil dry out between watering. Use the weight of the pot to gauge its moisture content rather than just the they way it looks on the surface.

Think about where this species hails from- and treat it accordingly. cheers ubza

Edited by lophty_tricho