The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Have you seen any cool movies lately??

On 07/07/2017 at 9:45 PM, ThunderIdeal said:

Alien covenant (sequel to prometheus)

Tell me it's better than Prometheus was?

6 minutes ago, FancyPants said:

I didn't think so, but as an Alien fan it's worth a watch.

• Like 1

Watching a lot of Netflix and Stan lately.... most of it's pretty average, some really cool, some straight up shit. 

Girlfriends Day - different, entertaining in a mellow way. Got Bob Odenkirk (better call Saul) in it, love that dude.

Death Note - background entertaining

Watchmen - cool

John Carter - eh background entertaining

Cloud Atlas - terrible and rambling

The Inbetweeners 1 and 2 - AWESOME. High clunge approval rating

Monkeybone - how have I never seen this before? Just watch it on mushrooms

Little Evil - background entertaining

The Discovery - ""

Final Girl - good idea, half-assedly constructed

To The Bone - Interesting if you know someone (or are someone) with an eating disorder

Red LIghts - good idea, not bad movie but not great

The Skeleton Twins - background interesting

Vanilla Sky - better than I assumed it would be

The Sweetest Thing - chick flick with dick giggles, I can dig it every now and then

Awakenings - Robin Williams doing drama, good movie 

Autopsy of Jane Doe - pretty cool

Exorcism of Emily Rose - decent, made me jump a couple of times which is rare

Trainspotting 2 - lol much better than Ithought it would be. See it if you liked the first.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 - for a teen/young adult movie it's got some pretty damn funny bits

I know there's heaps more but cbf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northerner said:

I didn't think so, but as an Alien fan it's worth a watch.

I'm a huge Alien fan, was disappointed in the writing of Prometheus. Will watch this one, cheers!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FancyPants said:

Well i liked prometheus but alien covenant exceeded my expectations and blew my mind, and it validates prometheus.  Utterly.

I mean wow, what a story.  The two movies completely explain the origin of the xenomorph.

Its important to keep the themes in mind rather than just expecting an action thriller.

• Like 1

Excellent!! I don't remember much of Prometheus, but I think I remember thinking it was lacking in substance or something. Anyway I'm very excited for Covenant now. Probs have to skip another meal to see it at the movies lol

Id love to produce a one-liner explaining their genesis but its too early.

On ‎4‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, ThunderIdeal said:

Id love to produce a one-liner explaining their genesis but its too early.

Well the Xenomorphs are the final result we see in the first 3 movies, we know at least their full origin as of covenant but there's more modification by David done which we haven't seen yet.

For what we all ready know; Engineers create black goo mutagen, black goo mutates a type of spore pod on the planet to yield microscopic swarms of parasitic insects which then implant eggs inside a host, one of the eggs will gestate into a Neomorph embryo, which when fully developed bursts its way from the host how ever it can.

David infected Shaw the black goo and then harvested mutated eggs from her ovaries, these eggs were then combined with neomorph DNA using the black goo

(he mentions that he has experimented with different varieties of neomorphs from different wildlife in order to obtain the most aggressive neomorph's DNA) these mutated Shaw/ neomorph hybrid eggs form the first Ovomorphs which yield facehuggers, the facehuggers implant eggs into a host which then develops into a Protomorph, which is the alien we see at the end of covenant. 

David then smuggles facehugger embryos back onto the ship under the guise of Walter, with intention of using the crew as hosts to his further his wacky experiments which we are yet too see, which will eventually lead to the final form, the Xenomorphs, we know from the other movies.... 

PHEWWWWWW so there you have it, I could go into detail but I think that's more than enough geek for at least a year or so... :P

Engineers use life-creating biotech and self-sacrifice to create engineered life including humans who they later intended to destroy but instead dont get destroyed and create  artificial life, a member of which is responsible for wiping out an engineer planet with their biotech in order to engineer a creation destined to probably destroy all engineered life and the engineers; its maker, its maker's maker, and its maker's maker's maker.

Edit:  scott has said that the humanoids were in fact engineers which was my initial instinct but others were calling them humanoid creations.

This story isnt fully told yet!  Next sequel MAY reveal the space jockey and the derelict as belonging to another race responsible for creating the engineers!

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

alien covenant was ok, but story wise it sucks, it demolishes all the nice story that prometheus created and goes for cheap thriller like thrills. 

Well made, disappointing writing for me.. 

The writing is so lousy in this one I am not even anxious anymore how it will connect to the rest of the saga...   

That is, actually I disagree completely with TI

even though I still love this series and I like the first 2 films enough

Watched Infinity Chamber last night. Was well worth it. More psychological that special effects, a nice break from the usual turds that call themselves modern sci-fi. No jump scares here, but a cool story with very few mistakes.

Anti Matter was on the watch list last week. Also a great addition to to low budget sci-fi. Really enjoyed it and will no doubt watch it again.

These 2 could be watched back to back. Very genre related and show what can be done with a little (lot of) perseverance and dedicated new talent.

6 hours ago, sagiXsagi said:

I disagree completely with TI

Imagine my surprise!!  Lol

Nah too many people had a hissy over prometheus they had to walk it back a bit..  Im looking forward to more answers in the next part of the story!

Thanks northerner i will check out your recommendations

Heres a TV series I really like, the expanse 

Not sold on it yet but i've been watching the Philip k dick inspired tv series "electric dreams"

Come on!  Who doesn't love the dick?!

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Australian Movie "otherlife"

im sure you will all appreciate it

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 4:22 AM, ThunderIdeal said:

Nah too many people had a hissy over prometheus they had to walk it back a bit..  Im looking forward to more answers in the next part of the story!

I guess you're right - it was nice they made it into a thriller, but it lost it's thing mid ways to become somewhat brainless , albeit awesome made...  I expected some more plot in the second half anywayz... 

it will propably become better with next viewings, I guess I was looking forward to some more intricate scripting and was disappointed.. 

will always love alien series and this one as well, I hope he doesnt fuck the last one too much :P 

on the topic of Alien: covenant.

i really dont like how the story line has now included humans/robots/corporations as part of the creation process, as it ruins the epicness of the mythology.  this amazing species spreading from planet to planet absorbing the genetic structure of the species it uses as its host, as the result of some ancient terraforming experiment/weapon.

it ruins the whole aliens vs predator side story that i found really enjoyable.

:lol: quite intentional that

But yes, by giving the aliens a very local and recent human origin it does destroy the mystery and presumed awesomeness of their history.

In  the new Star Trek TV-series there's a lieutenant Paul Stamets charcter, which is an Astromycologist :lol:

working on this experimental propulsion technology based on mycelium, which can take their ship anywhere in the Universe instantaneously :P

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 3

oh snap!!  i just came here to say that!!

netflix doesnt display the klingon subtitles (bewilderingly it does let you view subtitles that are actually written in klingon) so if you're gonna watch star trek (its pretty decent) make sure the subtitles are encoded properly or you'll have to watch it all twice like i am

Edited by ThunderIdeal

yeah, I was getting sad because there weren't any decent shows to watch anymore. But loving' Star Trek! now with shroom drive wtf! 

and a passing character in a prison scene bears an uncanny resemblance to McKenna too.....maybe..... I kinda consider Terence the guy who first brought out the idea of using shrooms for interstellar travel in "true hallucinations" when the mushies "told" him. Not sure if this is a bit of a tip of the hat to him, easter egg-style, or maybe I'm just watching a little too intensely and seeing things that aren't there but there you go.  

And a wonderful adjunct is "The Orville" Seth McFarlane's parody, tears of laughter, excellent production values. and replicators that do space cake.

Rolf de Heer's 'Bad Boy Bubby'. Very weird and a bit confronting, but brilliant. Just what Australian films do best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crop said:

Rolf de Heer's 'Bad Boy Bubby'. Very weird and a bit confronting, but brilliant. Just what Australian films do best.

Yeah it's a classic.

I love my Aussie films, seem to tick all the boxes. Other great ones to be seen include The Castle, Wyrmwood, Blue Dog, Dark City... the list goes on. Not forgetting other classics like Chopper and Wolf Creek as well.

15 minutes ago, Northerner said:

Yeah it's a classic.

I love my Aussie films, seem to tick all the boxes. Other great ones to be seen include The Castle, Wyrmwood, Blue Dog, Dark City... the list goes on. Not forgetting other classics like Chopper and Wolf Creek as well.

Wyrmwood is the only one there I haven't seen. Will have to fix that. I've been getting into Kiwi films a bit lately too. 'Boy', 'What We Do in the Shadows', and last night 'Hunt For the Wilderpeople'. All by the same writer/director/actor, all funny as, all worth checking out..

The living and the dead. A must watch, the trailer does not give it justice