The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chief23

Catha edulis

I am wondering which one of the following available strains are best to add to my collection?

Catha edulis (Strain 2 - red)

Catha edulis (Strain 4 - narrow leaved)

Catha edulis (Strain 5 - vienna white)

Catha edulis (Strain 9 - green)

Thanks

Chief

narrow leaved is different in that it is inebriating as well as stimulating. It is all round more pleasant as a social drug.

ive had pretty bad luck with normal khat and humidity up here, although ive got a random cutting growing well in my greenhouse, has no red on it though. would the narrowleaf grow better in higher humidity and rainfall??????

from my exprience as catha grows here like a native plants.... it's not the humidity that bothers it there are khat plants growing in places that are really humid here it's water logging usualy, plants like this need a good drainge of water and thats it, a little bit of logging and they will get root rot

they are planted in a very sandy mix, they dropped their leaves and died.

yeah mine did that :( except for the dying part

it struggled along for ages dropped leaves but now is getting new shoots

im pretty sure i kept it too wet

I have 2 red leaved ones in the ground,it gets very dry here esp over summer and they seem to love it.The soil drains quickly and has a fair bit of clay to it.

The mother plant hasn't been trimmed yet and is getting leggy,so when's the best time to trim them up?

I didn't know there were all these strains. Can anyone enlighten me as to what strain I have. I bought some seedlings from MGA about 3 or 4 years ago. They came green turned red and loved being planted out in well drained soil.

i gave mga vienna white and narroleaved aswell many years ago, but they didn't do much with my donations (in contrast to sab which eagerly probagates many catha strains), and mostly sell only the red strain.

hmm, i sound so confusing today...

cm u got proly the red strain!

if you want the no 4 strain narrow leaf, pm me,

i got healthy and cheap plants.

:P

plant out your catha in raised beds if flood prone or on top of ridges, if water logging is a problem. in the monsunal climates, plant them in extreem well drainig positions(on top of hills/ mounds).

:D

[ 27. December 2004, 14:28: Message edited by: planthelper ]

narrow leaf from ph is well worth it, really attractive plants too. In terms of visual attraction, narrowleaf and red imo are the best(at least so far), red is very nice looking through the leaves in front of light, a nice red skeleton.

slopes/mounds seem to be the go with catha at least in my area, well worth filling your backyard with anything and everything you can get hold of.

planthelper always has the best #4 strain plants. We just can't keep up with propagation, so ours are generally a bit smaller than his.

My plants are about 4 ft high now and I have to admit I haven't ever tried them. Can someone suggest a good dosage for a first time experience? I assume you chew the fresh leaves (YUK).

i think you chew on fresh leaves.... younger supple tips are better and stems until reach desired effect...

bundle 200-300g regrowth shoots per person about 15-20cm long

stems should be juicy n crisp and go limp when wilted.

you dont have to eat the leaves (try the tips tho) the stem bark is better. chew it over sevral hours, masticating and holding the juc in the mouth then after a while when it gets to much spit out the juice n chew again finally discarding the quid and starting on a new one

prop yourself out on some cushions is shady peaceful place in the arvo with some friends

get a spittoon. play some music

a khat sunday sesh

goes well with tobacco, coffee, sweets, beer - all traditional - incl the beer in Kenya

keep the leaves for tea