The Corroboree

Question

ok my camera is screwed again and i surely dont expect much help because of it but anyway, in a garden bed among some wood chips with semi rotting leaves above the chips, were some mushrooms. they look alot to me like Psilocybe subaeruginosa acording to mushroom ID for dummies thread.

they were the same shape, thinish hollow stem that had blue staining around the base on it before they were even picked. the base of the stem was a lil fatter then the rest.

they had a lil nipple on the top of the cap. (it was pointy)

but the colour was a light brown not dark brown. the younger ones apeared a similar dark brown colour as the pics. i assumed they were both the same species because they both had blue staining or apeared to grow out of the same spot as one with blue staining and looked similar. In one shroom Spores were visible and black. the thing that got me was the colour, being distinctivly lighter then alot of the pics i see. again, it's gonna take a clever cookie to help me out i think ;)

any input is good input thanks guys!

Edited by ubza_1234

14 answers to this question

Sounds like you're onto a winner but I'd still be hesitant. Spore prints should be the next step. But seriously DONT CONSUME. Hunt down a camera!

Another test.. Dry the suckers out. Chop a a small section of the material and chuck it in boiling water.. let it leech whatever goodies its has into the water and wait 6 hours the liquid should turn a nice shade of blue.

But still.. photos..

some caps are turning blue/green in storage, specially the very young ones. Sorry the caps are light brown not dark brown.

Edited by ubza_1234

Dry the suckers out. Chop a a small section of the material and chuck it in boiling water.. let it leech whatever goodies its has into the water and wait 6 hours the liquid should turn a nice shade of blue.

will work with fresh ones too, should see blueing of water fairly rapidly.

But still.. photos..

will work with fresh ones too, should see blueing of water fairly rapidly.

so could i tonight just wack it in a glass of water, put it in the microwave till boiling then set aside. And check the tomorrow morning?

Just boil ya kettle, and drop it in, you should see results in 10 mins or so easy.

Edited by PD.

i just noticed one shroom has what looks like a dark brown spore print on the side of it. Pics should be coming soon

here are some pics

the first pic is what was collected

7wj3u.jpg

the second is some of the young ones collected

7V83e.jpg

the third is a cool pic of under the cap

ANKwv.jpg

fourth is a few varieties that were picked. all had blue stainings but some were pointy, some were rounder with curtain like wavy bits at the bottom of the cap and one or 2 were split at the top

owSxM.jpg

does that help? i know the pics are crap but it's the best i could do

Edited by ubza_1234

i boiled some water in a small plastic glass in the micro then dropped the shroom in after i took it out. It's been sitting there for an hour or so and the water is yellow not blue. Did i use too much water? Does this mean there no good? :( or should i leave it over night?

Those are Psilocybe subaeruginosa you've got there.

For some reason with boiling water it doesn't tend to turn blue. Try using a little bit of just hot tap water. Should turn a nice blue if you throw in one chopped up a bit.

what's the point to make the water blue, apart from loosing some psilocin?

yay! Thanks guys. But why does it look lighter them other pics? Is it just like, natural variety or something?

they are hygrophanous, a general colour change due to environmental and i guess logically genetic factors, your photos are of very dried out specimens and even though they look partially young, they could be fairly old as their growth phase can be quick or highly drawn out depending on environmental conditions, your's look like they are getting pretty old, dirty and insect infested.

You should also be aware that you can't be sure of every mushroom in you batch, a mounded pile can't be id'ed accurately, there are just too many lookalikes/factors to take into account. Also be aware that a harvest is not really grey, it's distinct black and white IMO...

I still don't know how dramatic it can be, but generally the thought is, if you aren't going to expand the stem buts, it's best not to rip them out of the ground and disturb the mycelial mat, it's a bit confusing as they generally like disturbance, but maybe only just to establish and not at their maturity.

For ID you really should be keep each specimen separate, and printing each and every one, with it's stem lying next to the corresponding cap.

mutant, using ya noggin? for use as an extra piece of ID information.

Edited by gerbil

what's the point to make the water blue, apart from loosing some psilocin?

From what i have been told

Good to confirm ID & if u used say OJ & dried caps you tend to get a green extraction so it helps know when most goodies are extracted & ready to consume (if in a country where legal )

I was told a dry powder & vodka extraction went a very nice dark blue in a matter of 10-15 min

Edited by mac