The Corroboree

i'v been getting into making some realy cool changa pipes. my latest was made from acacia but i'd love to make one out of mimosa hostilis! trouble is all o can find is root bark when i google it. i'v sent out emails to heaps of bark surpliers asking for the wood so i can calve it but alas, no success. anyone got any ideas? or even some wood i can buy from them?

thanks guys.

ps, is there a better forum to drop this in?

I've never seen M. hostilis wood for sale, it'd be pretty rare since trees are not killed to harvest roots. I did once find a shop that sells wax impregnated yaje wood [1] (I've never bought from them) it'd be cool to work with but you wouldnt want it to get hot.

There might be some local wood in Australia over the next few years as growers trees get bigger and heavy pruning takes place, maybe you want the main trunk wood though or a fat lower branch that could be cut off, lower branches being the best bet as not many would be cutting the main trunk for wood.

Importing the wood from OS if you find it might cause you some costs for treatment and there is no real guarantee it would be tryptamine free if they tested it and wanted to be assholes.

You could always grow ya own, they take about 2 years to get a main trunk that's about 4-5inches in diameter...well mine is anyways.

these pipes sound cool any pics..?

i found a source if anyone was interested. pm for his email ;) he even offered to give me some root WOOD as appose to just a branch as his company harvests the bark themselves wich is realy cool :) here are some pics. the first two pics are my latest creation.they are dedicated changa/dmt pipes. (for display purposes only of course) since that pic i have put a metal plate over the bowl with a hinge to act as an extinguisher because sometimes it's fun to take it to the beach packed with some weaker, lowish dose changa and make a night of it but i hate letting the precious smoke escape so the metal plate covers the top to keep it in the pipe. perhaps it will re-xtalize? :) at the front is a quartz xtal. this symbolizes the earth. the idea was that the embers would make it glow at night, which unfortunately don't work as well as planned, but it still looks cool. the entire thing is made of acacia which symbolizes life from the earth and to pay homage to the most wonderful tree that gives and teaches so much. the metal plate symbolizes man and man made things. combined they become the pipe. also, it's kinda hard to tell but the bowl is in the rough shape of a "D"

the metal part is in the shape of an "M"

and the mouth piece is a lower case "t"

the metal plate is removable with screws. obviously like any pipe, it will require cleaning one day. a regular pipe cleaner wont be able to bend thru the "M" part of the pipe as the smoke actually travels up and down the pipe against the metal. the idea was so the metal can help cool and smooth the pipe and boy does it work. it's like smoking out of a crappy bong, wich is pretty good to me considering it's a dry pipe. anyway, back on topic, as the entire smoke channel fills with gunk and becomes difficult to toke, you simply unscrew the metal panel and scrub with a brush. notice the mouth piece and bowl are off centre to the metal panel? the hole connecting from the bowl to the panel, and the panel to the mouth piece are strait so it's easy to clean with a normal pipe cleaner. this ensures a compact size with maximum time for the smoke to cool with reasonable ease of cleaning. the entire thing is painted with my special bees wax polish. i made the polish so it soaks into the wood, it's non toxic, wont chip and on a side note will go dull if not used. as it rubs against cloths and hands and stuff, the finish becomes more beautiful which makes me feel i should always treat it with love. to finish up, it has a few drops of cinnamon that makes the smoke tast like a cinnamon dough nut. no joke.

post-4552-127348549517_thumb.jpg

post-4552-127348553742_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubza_1234

Hands up who wants a handmade acacia spice pipe...drool.gif

these were more of a learning experience then anything. i learnt how the smoke chanel should be shaped, how to finish it with wax and why it's so good, how to impregnate flavours into the pipe itself to flavour the smoke, etc. i made a mess with the flavour oils, the finish would wear away quickly, the smoke was REALY harsh and was more work then it needed to be. then again, i made it from a tree we had cut down, a red gum if i remember. it was also the first pipe that was contraty to traditional design. it was made from 2 halves that were glued together. it was also an odd shape. i thought, why not make it this shape and a large smoke channel to make it easier to toke? and by making the pipe squigly it is essensially like a 18cm long pipe so it should cool it down heaps! lol ba-baw.. wrong lol

anyway there you go ;)

edit: the stupid uploader is being stupid. the flash one hangs on 100% and nothing happened and the basic one finishs downloading then the browse button disapears and obviously it worked the first time on the same computer cause i uploaded the first two uploaded! grrr...

Edited by ubza_1234

just an update on my search for mimosa hostilis wood, my buddy pedro from http://www.adenium.com.br/naturalproducts.asp?ido=1

has offered me 15kg of wood for $20usd! yay! they will be pieces up to 10cm in diameter and 35cm long. he said this should be 7 to 10 pieces of 35cm long wood so i'm exited. with that much wood i will surely be selling pipes in the near future made of mimosa hostilis root WOOD! mwahahaha!

Edited by Quilliam

looking at rogdog's latest thread provided me with mimosa wood

rogdog? I did a search here and found nothing :(

Hands up who wants a handmade acacia spice pipe...drool.gif

yeah!

that's really nice work ubza.

tthanks guys, i just wish i could upload more pics but it just wont let me :( wich sucks cause i'd love to post the new pipes when i make them. :( oh well

tthanks guys, i just wish i could upload more pics but it just wont let me :( wich sucks cause i'd love to post the new pipes when i make them. :( oh well

You can always upload them to image hosting sites like www.imgur.com, www.imageshack.us etc, and then chuck the link in between some img tags :).

When your having problems uploading pictures, ive found the best thing to do is to change the format of the image in paintshop. Some formats are not accepted by this website for some reason. So resave it as a new file format and try again. Should work no probs.

Peace

EZ69y.jpgJAN39.jpg

there we go! this is the other pics. i finally got time to upload these. thanks simbiate! so these are the pipe before the latest one. i made two other ones a few year back that were a bore traditional pipe but they got lost over the years. hope you like ;)

Great work mate, I like, keep it up!