The Corroboree
reshroomED

Good Whiskey

Laphroaig is up there, liquid peat smoke in a bottle.

Shame I can't afford to drink that stuff anymore.

Glendronach is pretty tasty too.

For a good blended scotch, j&b is ok, as is ballantines.

jim beam is awesome. just kidding it is horrible stuff. i tried some 21 year old chivas regal royal salute on the weekend and it was pretty good, but i didn't think it was a whole lot better than the standard chivas

ballantines == mouthwash + antiseptic :puke:

• Like 1

Lark Distilleries is producing a unique taste of Tassie....

Hellyers Road is worth savouring .......instead of smashing as well :wink:

another single malt giving you a regional taste

http://www.hellyersroaddistillery.com.au/

I'd take the Lark first..... If I could afford it it ....would be all I would ever drink...lol

http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Had to stop buying scotch as a bottle never lasted more than 3 days :blush: Routine would be going past the local bottleshop on the way home on Wednesday (start of my "weekend") and it would be all gone come Saturday night.

Generally enjoyed late night with a tad of ice while sitting in bed reading a good book.

Used to be a bourbon drinker but 2 big bourbon (turkey, blantons or makers mark) and coke's late at night wrecked havoc with my sleeping pattern, 3am pee wakeups ended up a regular event.

Best drop so far would of been an 18 year old Glenmorangie (1976 vintage, same as me) bought back in 1998 at a PX in Bosnia, sat unopened for months as hard liquor was a banned drink in theater but opened the day after I rotated back the world. Savored that one for a few months before killing it off with friends around a fishingtrip campfire.

jim beam is awesome. just kidding it is horrible stuff. i tried some 21 year old chivas regal royal salute on the weekend and it was pretty good, but i didn't think it was a whole lot better than the standard chivas

Can you be more specific as to which release of Jim Beam you find horrible? They produce more than one whiskey you know :wink:

e.g. I like this one (however I don't like their cashing in on the craft/boutique movement)..

x904914_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569854523034

Edited by mu!

mu! i was talking about the plain old while label stuff that i am sure everyone has tried before. i haven't tried any of the other jim beam varieties. to be honest i am just not a fan of bourbon so would rather spend my money on scotch

mu! i was talking about the plain old while label stuff that i am sure everyone has tried before. i haven't tried any of the other jim beam varieties. to be honest i am just not a fan of bourbon so would rather spend my money on scotch

Name three mid-shelf bourbons you've tried.

I bet I could convert you to the bourbon side in under 5 sips :wink:

mu! i am not sure if they count as mid shelf bourbon, but i will say jack daniels, makers mark and wild turkey. i had a few bad experiences with bourbon when i was a teenager and still can't drink it

mu! i am not sure if they count as mid shelf bourbon, but i will say jack daniels, makers mark and wild turkey.

All of the above are only remotely tolerable when you are on your second bottle and mixing them with something to hide the taste.

Either I'm getting old or Makers and Turkey have been getting progressively sweeter over the years to the point of nausea

Or both. Certainly I'm grumpy enough to be both, sorry :(

Was introduced to some gorgeous rye whiskies a few years back, I think it's made me a bit spoiled

• Like 1

yeah they're all quite sweet bourbons. I consider makers mark quite smooth, I titrate my spirits with water to taste too, so the inherent sweetness/alcoholicness isn't really a problem for me because I'm essentially treating it like cordial and balancing it's flavours just how I like.

It's funny how a lot of people take the strength that a booze is bottled at as a given but it's merely what the distiller thinks is the best, representative flavour for that particular spirit. For example, cask strength and OP (overproof) spirits are fucking strong as is, and should be watered down to suit the drinks taste otherwise the ethanol will burn the tastebuds and render them quite useless at tasting the flavour behind it. It's been bottled at that strength though because the distiller has deemed it 'finished' (or balanced) at that strength. These types of spirits are sippers and IMO should be drunk that way.

• Like 2

Talisker 10 year old. Heaven in a bottle.

• Like 2

Mmm, I've heard good things of Talisker. How would you describe the taste/smell/feel?

I drink my Scotches neat..... Talisker is nice and Peaty, Crisp with a linguring sweet note ( did that sound professional ? ) lol nah seriously nice scotch mate, I tried the 15 year old too but find the 10 year old to have a better finish.