The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nedkelly

Help a newbie?

Question

Hey all,

This is my first post but i have been doing a fair bit of reading on these wonderful forums.

Whilst driving on the alpine way back from Thredbo area mid this week i noticed the temperatures were very cold and it had been raining so i pulled the car over and walked up an overgrown firetrack through the bush to see what fungi i could discover.

The shrooms i found and picked bruised blue which i read is a sign of them being of the special type, but i'm unsure of the correct I.D. any help would be most appreciated.

Here are some photos.

th_P5060053.jpg

th_P5060054.jpg

th_P5060062.jpg

th_P5060061.jpg

th_P5060058.jpg

th_P5060059.jpg

th_P5060057.jpg

Thanks guys!

Forgot to mention these are all for research purposes!

Ned.

Edited by nedkelly

8 answers to this question

looks like old and crusty subs to me!

pic 4, 6 & 7 looks very promising that they are all subs in those pics

but i am only going from what i have learned here, I dont see them out this way so my opinion is that of a noob :angry: & should not comment :slap:

Edited by mac

Mostly what appear to be subs, but also a few gallerinas.

ed

Most of them are subs but these group pics are rather difficult. I have the impression that there are also other shrooms on the 5th pic. I dont like the brown color of the stem of the upside-down shroom on the under left of pic 5. And the one beside it looks like it would change the color to yellow which would definately lead to something else. And Pic 2 is definately something else but you knew that, right? Ed is probably spot on. Could be some galerinas. There are many diffrent species of galerina and many of them look similar. But there are also other genera that look like that. They are rather worthless so i wouldnt bother to find out the exact species. Just learn the diffrence between them and psilocybes. bye Eg

3,4,5,6 pics have subs in them but it's never easy from photo's even when I enlarged them I'm not 200% about each fruit. galerinas are toxic and are distinguishable by a small veil under the cap on the stem and the spore print will be brown, the stem won't generally show any bluing and can sometimes have an orange to brown tinge to it.

be careful man ok, they do look good mostly though, dried out and maybe a bit wind blown and bitten by cold snapping winds.

Hunab is right about galerinas. But be very careful because not all of them have a veil. There even are Galerina Autumnalis varieties without the veil which makes it very hard to see the diffrence. And the fact that many specimens lose their veil during the aging process is another info you should be aware of. bye Eg

Hey Ned,

Nice pictures and also that looks like a nice spot you went for a walk. You are on the money with the ones that are turning blue. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT EATING ANY THAT DON'T!!! specially when you have found ones that obviously are blue. Not sure if you are familiar with what can happen if you eat poisonous mushrooms - specifically those containing amatoxin's - the poison attacks liver cells, (or something like that) and is irreversible if you eat too many, a slow aganizing death. Do a google on it, but here is a quick link:

http://www.mcsacourse4pc.co.uk/education/the-effects-of-the-poisoning-of-death-cap-mushrooms/

amatoxin is in gallerinas that's why there is talk about them in this thread saying be careful.

That aside, again, nice finds there. Oh and pic no.2 are pretty but not psilocybe's.

peace

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Not being 100% sure on the type of fungi i, threw them out.

If there is anyone in North East Victoria going for a hunt soon and would not mind me tagging along, i'd love to come and learn how to distinguish between the good and the bad. Send me a pm.

Cheers!

Ned.