The Corroboree
eccentro

Something eating my pups

I had a tiny new bud on one of my midcut trichos & this morning it is scooped out like some insect having a cactus ice cream cone! What insect is usually the culprit & how do I protect my other new pups?

slug or snail. caterpillar even!

I reckon a mollusc, they love the tips of my cacti. Caterpillars can be pretty bad too.

Maybe you are sleep walking and having a midnight snack

it was incognito

• Like 2

margarine tin filled with beer will deal with the molluscs!

Lol. I use to sleep walk but I don't think I do anymore... I'il try the beer tip for slugs as I've read that before. But will that keep Incognito away?!!

put a ring of copper tubing around any plant you want to protect from snails or slugs. Lay it right on the soil.

:uzi: slugs and green caterpillars are the bain of the ethno gardener...copper ring em and round those fuckers for disposal onto the nearest rooftop for bird feed. Go out at night around midnight and you see the slimy bastids chewing on everything...kill mercilessly on sight.

strabge coincidence i noticed a nice bridge pup pushing out just in time to go dormant recently and today it has a gouge right through it like someone scooped it with a narrow spoon.

negatize them, that is an order.

nothing stops incognito, he is a merciless psychonaut bounty hunter and will drive you to alcoholism... :wub:

snail.jpg

negatize them, that is an order.
lol, This is how i negatize my scourge ...Yes thats my freezer hahaha my girlfriend just loves it ! ...cant be stuffed squishing them anymore too messy , or getting busted by the neighbours throwing them over the fence...I think they throw them over mine, thats why i get so many. Over here on the coast there is millions of these white ones. Not a day goes by i do not negatize the fukkers...I chuck em in the freezer and when i can be bothered I put them into the compost to get back all that snaily goodness... :drool2:

I think grasshoppers/locust can also so some damage, that's what I though for my eaten bridgesii tips anyways...

blowng you eat them?? :rolleyes:

Edited by mutant

blowng you eat them?? :rolleyes:

haha noooo....but in a food shortage there'd be plenty of them to eat...In the freezer they just kind recoil into their shells and slip off to sleep . I used to stomp on them , but its messy and some would ricochet back into the garden. There is so many here its ridiculous , i have about 4 different species in the garden...some are very small, id have to use a scorched earth policy to kill them. :wacko:

Nice freezer blowng!:P

Some snails are native and will not eat growing plant matter, only decomp'd matter. Flat shelled cannibal things.

Is it a series of small melon balled impressions or one long bite? Melon balls is hoppers, long line is something crawly, gouges is rodents.

Kill them all.

There have been plenty of hopper plagues about in the far west the past month, so far they have left the cacti alone but did munch a few other plants in the garden :uzi:

Edited by mac

I get a huge problem with earwigs in late spring. Protecting the growing tip of the cactus is the most important thing. If you are tired of having to squish bugs, get some blu-tak and squish it right into the tip of the plant. The plant will just keep growing and push the blu-tak off, takes about a week and by that time you have a nice fresh tip. Repeat until bug season is over. The rest of the plant will heal no problemo. This works if you do not have one hour every night to squash bugs, tho this is good too.

If you are tired of having to squish bugs, get some blu-tak and squish it right into the tip of the plant. The plant will just keep growing and push the blu-tak off, takes about a week and by that time you have a nice fresh tip. Repeat until bug season is over.

lol

smart move hey mate, thanks for sharing :)

mac are u out west as well??? as far as i know its just me and mescalito.

damn talk about grasshoppers!!!! im still cleaning the bastards of my car!!!

worst ive seen em since ive been back. thankfully this cold weather has knocked them back.

my radiator is chockers with them.

thy dont seem to bother the cacti, unlike a CERTAIN MOB OF KANGAROOS that are really starting to piss me off!!! cheeky bastids aernt even scared of us anymore, my old girl had to shoo one out of the garden with a fencepost, im kida a bit worried they are getting to familiar, a big buck comes in sometimes, and they just dont seem to care anymore.

would hate him to grab hold of me or even worse mum and dad, may have to bring it to councils attention, though id hate to see any harm come to the critters. they do repeatedly take big chunks out of the less spikey specimens. assholes. why cant they just eat dads pedantically watered lush green couch lawn?

Edited by incognito

maybe they're getting a kick? that would explain the friendly behaviour :)

...In the freezer they just kind recoil into their shells and slip off to sleep . . wacko.gif

At least you are euthanizing them humanely. When I have had to euthanize small critters, I put them in the fridge first which makes them unconscious and then they go into the freezer. As for caterpillars, I breed several species of butterfly and see every caterpillar as a vehicle for something more to come. Caterpillars are ravenous feeders and can defoliate a plant in a very short period of time. I also get annoyed when stray caterpillars have chewed and ring barked a plant that I have been hovering over for months. I don't have any ideas to share to keep the grubs (potential butterfly/moth) away from all those plants but you could probably experiment with natural sprays like garlic or something. Cacti and garlic, sounds palatable, doesn't it ?

mac are u out west as well??? as far as i know its just me and mescalito.

Yeah M8 Im Far west NSW area (near SA border) , hoppers & or Caterpillar's made a bit of a mess of my Salvia Guaranitica & Argyreia Nervosa but left the cacti alone

A few Sausage plant X seedlings were attacked by hoppers during summer when they were not in plague proportions so im suprised they didn't do any more damage over the past month.

A 250watt sensor light might do the job for roos incog, if all else fails a dog usually keeps them away

Edited by mac

Yeah M8 Im Far west NSW area (near SA border)

I'm in SA where vic, NSW and SA meet and those locust bastids are all over my car as well! But it is next spring the farmers are really worried about when all the eggs hatch.