The Corroboree
Hellonasty

Monstrosus Peruvianus x SS02 (for Strangebrew) and a random Tricho

Amazing cacti people! Starting to suspect that our legend Nitrogen bro lives too close to a nuclear powerplant.... ;-)

How much freakier can we get.... the sky is the limit. When will the first Loptrich chimera's start getting in the game.... I still havent electrocuted my lop trich grafts :P (I'm hoping that that is the secret for chimera's to form more easily)

• Like 2

they are only 3 weeks old :P It's from the latest batch of seeds, nearly 100% germ rate and all within 1 week but with the ratios of crests with the last X's I'm betting I get atleast one crest from these seedlings.

It won't take too long, mine started very early on.

Edited by Hellonasty

Here is an update of one of my seed grown plants, putting on some serious growth right now. I also have three cuttings for sale in my Tricho thread in the trade/sell forum.

8446913686_e9a6894eaf_b.jpg

• Like 5

I can't take pics or pull up weeds like hellonasty but I do have some to show off..

there seems to be two different types of crest coming from Nitrogen's seeds when do we officially name them in some that embarrassingly refers back to Nitrogen?

5866b0f7-55a9-4dee-82c6-88958eba1a6f_zps

20130205_180754_zps620dbc5b.jpg

20130205_180721_zpsee092840.jpg

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 5

so where is all this seed who's got some ???

Looks like a few of mine are crests (rubs hands) :drool2:

• Like 1

I agree with naming these different clones from Nitrogen's seeds. I have one and will soon have a second different clone which I will keep track of with my own records but I have started propagating the first one and I would like it to go out into the community with some sort of identifier on it preferably with Nitrogen's name and the grower in this case Hellonasty name in the mix. :)

These pics were taken not long after it was grafted (early Jan)

post-4489-0-50032200-1360214688_thumb.jppost-4489-0-26853300-1360214854_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-50032200-1360214688_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-26853300-1360214854_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-50032200-1360214688_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-26853300-1360214854_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

jeez how many people have these

looks like these will quickly become one of the more common crests in oz

if anyone in W.A. wants to make a trade im sure i can make it worth it for ya

I agree with naming these different clones from Nitrogen's seeds. I have one and will soon have a second different clone which I will keep track of with my own records but I have started propagating the first one and I would like it to go out into the community with some sort of identifier on it preferably with Nitrogen's name and the grower in this case Hellonasty name in the mix. :) These pics were taken not long after it was grafted (early Jan) attachicon.gifIMG_0608.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0609.JPG CheersGot

Very nice man, is this clone completely spineless ?

No this is just a small offset that was cut from the first one that Hellonasty sold on ebay.

The clone itself doesn't have a lot of spines but they tend to be bigger than on the other clone that has been around for a while imo.

post-4489-0-79748100-1360220782_thumb.pn

Myco I will eventually be offering this into the community but I will be propagating it heavily first and they will be grafts that I will be making available but I cant see this happening for another year or so

I don't want to see these just disappear into someones collection or be a money making venture. These should be available to any one that wants to add one to there collection. If that makes them common so be it. :)

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-79748100-1360220782_thumb.png

post-4489-0-79748100-1360220782_thumb.png

• Like 4

From the 2009 batch of TPM x SS02 that Hellonasty and Watertrade posted I got two types of crests also - the more common looking one like Hellonasty posted and then also the really tight/small ribbed one like the last one that Watertrade posted.. I'll post pics of mine here when I get some time to take new pics..

There's going to be quite a few of these beautiful crested/monstrose type things coming out of the 2012 crosses, and a way more seeds went around than from the 2009 batch, of which there were only 300 some seeds total in the fruit.. The TPM x (SS02 x pachanoi) cross is a winner for sure, in terms of freaks - 6 of the 9 I've grafted to pereskiopsis are going weird on me..

Naming the individuals that go into circulation could be fun and useful - the most important thing though of course is that the hybrid/parentage is accurately represented - i.e - "TPQC x TPM v. 'Tarantula'", or whatever..

• Like 4

did your TPQC ever go back to cristate???

Well, it went cristata, and those sections keep growing cristata, but it has also put out some columnar sections which continue to grow.. I'm curious to see if the TPQC x TPM cross puts out more mutants than the other crosses in which TPM was the father - if so then I guess we can deduce that the TPQC's behavior is at least partially genetic rather than some weird mutation brought on by slug infection or whatever..

Here's my examples of this cross - two are similar crest but the the other one has the really closely spaced ribs - and is putting out a very pretty little columnar -

I'm curious to see what happens to the columnar section - will it go crested and I'll have a "crest on a stick" or some such thing? The one in the back started out monstrose, then went dichotomous and both columns are normal thus far.

IMG_1745_zps6411617a.jpg

IMG_1746_zps573719ff.jpg

• Like 9

coolness.. yeah i've seen a ton of evidence that its genetic...
but i've also seen evidence that the cristate germ or whatever can spread to a scion from a graft....

I wonder though if genetic could possibly be something to do with the plant packaging some of the infecting agent into the seeds or
maybe even it changing the dna or something..

I know with Pachycereus Pringlei, the plant packages a bacteria with its seeds, which grow in the roots and help break down rocks in the plants early age to aide the plant with absorbing minerals in strange soil free rock crevaces... but im just wondering if there could be some simlar effect with monstrous triches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachycereus_pringlei

The plant I have which I think is like an ecuadorian pach that looks like your TPQC has absolutely no sign of anything cristate whatsoever, except a little part of a tip that didn't grow right looks sort like a blue chicken leg or something lol... I think its more like an ecuadorian pach cause it still reminds me more of kimnach.... it certainly clumps like kimnach but not to say its not just some random other plant... Beautiful plant

and very nice monsters you have btw

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 2