The Corroboree
Hellonasty

Monstrosus Peruvianus x SS02 (for Strangebrew) and a random Tricho

Those seedlings look awesome WT. I will post a pic of my grafted one tomorrow it certainly has taken off in spring and is a nice looking crest. I also have another one that I grafted to Pereskiopsis during winter, it looks more monstrose than crest. Such an amazing cross :)

Your seedling will definitely do something funky mr b.caapi just give it time, looking at it now that spiral growth seems odd ?

Edited by Hellonasty

The two plants I mentioned above, I included a sprite top for size indication.

5106225564_b24a044a05_b.jpg

5106226472_25eaa6e672_b.jpg

5105632227_894429ea97_b.jpg

5105632015_d980511ba9_b.jpg

• Like 5

An update on this awesome cross, I have degrafted and rooted the one that was grafted to Hylocereus the other one on pereskiopsis is going strong, monstrose growth not crest.

Does anyone else have updated pics. Nitrogen is the man :) Wish I had more seeds.

5490513873_b0f4dcc5d3_b.jpg

5490514277_87f75b800a_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the Update, Hellonasty! The green coloration is just insane! This is the stuff that made me fall in love with cacti.

Edited by Evil Genius

Wow, that is amazing! Thanks for sharing HN. That is a truly beautiful crest.

here are two of mine for comparison. when I get around to it i will graft some of them.

they look much more twisted than Hellonastys.

post-903-0-03973300-1299290920_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-79102800-1299290929_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Those plants are incredible WT. They are much spinier than HN's too. Is that due to the fact they are seedlings on there own roots, or just individual differences?

Nice one fellas, looking amazing thanks for taking the time to share the progress,

HN shithot mate, have to be proud with that from seed

WT can't wait to see yours mature, gnarly looking buggers.

Beautiful plant HN! Are you going to leave it or cut and graft when its a lil bigger?

WT, pull ya finger out :P JK, i was anxious as hell the other day when i hacked up one of my crests, i couldnt bring myself to hack both of them up and just potted onm the other one. I dunno why i get so anxious though, lining up a lil chunk of crest to the stock is piss easy.

Nice looking plants WT, they are certainly strange ones.

PD, Not sure If I will cut and graft or let it grow out, still undecided. Like you said it is such a big step cutting a plant like that !

I degrafted the one on Pereksiopsis yesterday, it had thrown out one of it's own roots anyway so I guess it was time.

Edited by Hellonasty

wow what a killer thread to be resurrected with updates!

In-fucking-teresting to see how grafted and ungrafted seedlings went, as a comparison!

I was about to say, "these don't look so different from crest/monstrosa pachanoi" that sometimes goes roung as crest peruvianus, seeing HN first shots from automn, but the new photos say otherwise.

PD, yeah I too find it anxious to cut plants that are somehow 'important' to me

share the thrill, awesome thread

• Like 1

I think I got a few seeds either of this cross or a later cross of the same plant, good germination just seedlings currently. Have grafted 3 so far not showing anything interesting yet.

Def curious on the updates - These pics are badass!

The first cross was TPM x SS02 - that one reliably produced mutant seedlings..

The other cross, a year later, was SS01 x TPM - problem with that second one though was that my confederate was unsure that the SS01 was pollinated by the TPM - could have easily been open pollinated given the state of his garden at the time- and by the time the TPM pollen got to him it was a bit old - so, not sure on that one - I did not sow those seeds myself so don't know how they came out for people - have not yet seen a pic of the results..

• Like 1

That's a little disheartening to find out it may have been an open pollenation for the ss01 X TPM. I have just sown 5 of these seeds and 4 have sprouted. Fingers X'd for a crest or mostrose. I am really hoping they arn't open pollenated.

Edited to say again, that is the sexiest crest ever hellonasty. Love the lack of spinage.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

Well, hopefully it won't really matter - this year is looking to be epic on the TPM crosses, with pretty well no concern of open pollination - so there should be seed here soon with that same plant as both mother and father ;)

• Like 5

wow is there any one out there will to part with some seed of this variety will pay all costs pls pls still trying to get a crest no luck yet cheers kate

Well, hopefully it won't really matter - this year is looking to be epic on the TPM crosses, with pretty well no concern of open pollination - so there should be seed here soon with that same plant as both mother and father ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

My pleasure! Just PM me if interested and I'll make it happen once things come to fruition..

• Like 1

My pleasure! Just PM me if interested and I'll make it happen once things come to fruition..

If by interested you mean that I'd swap sexual favours, promise my first new born and even my left nut for some piece of that sweet action. Then you are correct.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 3

If by interested you mean that I'd swap sexual favours, promise my first new born and even my left nut for some piece of that sweet action. Then you are correct.

yep, similar to my offers, the only difference being is that i offered my right nut.

are you left handed by any chance?

this year is looking to be epic on the TPM crosses, with pretty well no concern of open pollination - so there should be seed here soon with that same plant as both mother and father ;)

Do you think that some of these hybrid crests will have a good chance of flowering for themselves, since one of their parents was a flowering mutant?

Hahaha - very generous offer! I'll take the newborn - I can get a good price for a healthy newborn on the open market - or at least make stew..

Halcyon - that's a good question - I would imagine they would have a good shot at it - certainly the more normal forms will flower - the columnar and monstrosus progeny. I read on the nook today that monstrosus forms will flower more than cristata forms in general. Both my crested forms that flowered this year did so off of columns that were not crested - on the pachanoi the column was fully normal, and on the peruvianus the column was monstrosus - waiting currently to see if the peruvianus takes the pollens I gave it.

Nitro btw, the seedlings from your seeds are running wild in my greenhouse. Looks badass and they were by far the best growing ones i had in the greenhouse this year! Will have lots of pics for you guys in the future...