The Corroboree
Hellonasty

Monstrosus Peruvianus x SS02 (for Strangebrew) and a random Tricho

Glad to hear it! I don't do the fluoro/heat pad method so my seedlings usually grow pretty slow - for sure would like to see how they are coming for you

Hey nitro, I had excellent germination rates frm the ss01 x TPM u gave me. Only one seed did nt sprout.

Shame to hear they mite b open pollentated, but il continue to treat them as if they arent.. Mind over matter lol.

They are growing relatively fast, not many signs of any funky business yet (apart frm one who looks quite odd..) but i'll keep my eyes peeled for anything strange.

Update - I had three but found one rotting over winter - I emergency grafted three bits of the rotting plant which seem to have taken but have not grown yet. These two pics are of the other two not looking very happy but spring is finally here!

edit pics

20120908_134130.jpg

20120908_134040.jpg

I actually got into the garden today and started undoing some of the neglect of the last year years.

If my grafts take ( which I'm pretty sure they will as there was a fresh row of spines, would you want to do a swap - if you have extra grafts that is.

Also below is one of this years seedlings which is showing signs of weirdness.

20120909_184657.jpg

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 4

To to hear WT. I have neglected my plants something severe over winter but most of the TPM X SS02 have pulled through. One of the crests has actually grown quite a bit I will have to get a picture.

• Like 1

I am hoping/Xing my fingers u guys are propagating these for distribution aswell :innocent_n: Esp that super sexy one of yours hellonasty

• Like 1

Here's a recent pic of my seedlings of the TPM x SS02 cross - kept 10 for myself, only 5 germinated, 1 perished early on - so, 4 survivors, but all are freaks I am happy to see :)

I have noticed that the really gnarly crested variation seems to like less sun - it turns reddish more easily - now is shooting up a little green column type thing though - moving itselt to higher groumnd maybe?

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

• Like 13

Nice looking plants Nitrogen. Such amazing variance in this cross.

Here is a pic from last year (November 2011) I don' think I posted in this thread, I will get an updated pic soon. This one is in the ground and is growing really well, the plant has great vigour for a crest and is resistant to bacteria and many pests.

6319990187_5ba8c666ae_z.jpg

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 3

I also noticed I didn't post this picture from last year too... stupid me. Both are crests from the TPM X SS02 Cross taken in November last year.

6716380347_c078723750_z.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of shots from the start of this season. Growth this year should be amazing given what happened over winter :)

8068634730_ba454acdef_b.jpg

8068641449_edd9915763_b.jpg

8068634295_a8b6f636d8_c.jpg

8068629373_edb44e46cf_c.jpg

8068627765_7e229010da_c.jpg

• Like 12

wow wow wow !!!!!

watching this just makes me oh so curious as to wat wonders are going to appear this year. with the amount of crested X's, surely this is going to be an epic season for trich crests and monstrose plants.

I hope to get even just one as sexy as yours HN

Edited by naja naja

I took two small sections off one of them and grafted both of them earlier this year, both are showing normal growth at this stage. It would be good to get one with columnar growth as flowers are much more likely.

Cheers for the comments, I certainly like this plant :)

Bit of a bummer really.... I didn't expect this much attraction.

Edited by Hellonasty

hehe, I did. I knew it would go big quick. If it weren't for all the TPM X seedlings I have going, I'd be competing too :P

• Like 1

Beautiful cactus HelloNasty! I've seen your post at cactusguide, and I was wondering what percentage of the seedlings turned crestate? Did any of them just turn like melted wax monstrose? What other TPM hybrids are known? and have they displayed similar mutation? My interest is rekindled after seeing that our favorite west coast usa seed peddler now has several TPM hybrids available under their rare-plant list. :D

Hi I can only answer a few of your questions. As far as I know 100% of this particular cross of TPM x SS02 are crest, they begin as Montrose and crest eventually.

I don't know how many others there are, one of our members Nitrogen created this cross and has done some others too. Keep an eye out for seeds they will no doubt pop up.

• Like 1

hehe, I did. I knew it would go big quick. If it weren't for all the TPM X seedlings I have going, I'd be competing too :P

Are yours growing funky ???

they are only 3 weeks old :P It's from the latest batch of seeds, nearly 100% germ rate and all within 1 week but with the ratios of crests with the last X's I'm betting I get atleast one crest from these seedlings.

so who wants to make a trade :)

want a pach crest?

• Like 1