The Corroboree
Chiral

Warning on Subs

I've heard these old wives tales for a while. They're all sprayed, so you kids just run along now, and stay away from my patch!

can i just say..

.. and you've disagreed with me somewhat in the past gerbil, by saying spray rigs in viccy can be going around with ten or so drums of different chemicals (which is not my experience in brissy)..

don't be too concerned about what little bit of spray has landed on the cap of a mushroom. sure, it sucks, and i wouldn't want to be given fungus by somebody who neglects to mention they were probably sprayed. greater concern would be fungicide = no fruiting bodies at all.

most people don't go to the expense of organic food. what's the difference between a loaf of bread and a sprayed mushie? i'd be more concerned about OTHER sources of contamination myself. the amount of chemical you get exposed to will be nothing compared to the guy who did the spraying.

a bit of perspective which i hope is not misinformed.

"The dude?"...just look for workers with back mounted spray packs putting shit down at ground level every 1 or 2 feet . If any shrooms come up, I'd be surprised. No they were not spraying weeds...!"The dude" should get out more.

can i just say..

.. and you've disagreed with me somewhat in the past gerbil, by saying spray rigs in viccy can be going around with ten or so drums of different chemicals (which is not my experience in brissy)..

don't be too concerned about what little bit of spray has landed on the cap of a mushroom. sure, it sucks, and i wouldn't want to be given fungus by somebody who neglects to mention they were probably sprayed. greater concern would be fungicide = no fruiting bodies at all.

most people don't go to the expense of organic food. what's the difference between a loaf of bread and a sprayed mushie? i'd be more concerned about OTHER sources of contamination myself. the amount of chemical you get exposed to will be nothing compared to the guy who did the spraying.

a bit of perspective which i hope is not misinformed.

Not sure i really disagreed with you? by saying rigs in victoria can be going around with those numbers was a fact not an argument.

People are free to make up their own mind about the chemicals themselves (not that they know them in most contexts) with msds etc, i only mentioned it this time because of what mashemup said, and i wanted clarification fungicide or herbicide.

I for one don't want to ingest mushrooms sprayed with one or a mixture of herbicides, if you think it's no big deal that's cool with me.

Edited by gerbil

i do think it stinks, but the reality is that the food you buy was also sprayed, and grown on land that gets sprayed again and again and again every single year, and not just with herbicides either. hey if you can avoid the sprayed mushies do it, or if you can pick fruit that has just been washed by rain that's also good.

and yeah i said you disagreed with me "somewhat" but only on the matter of how many different chems are used. the more drums a rig is carrying around, the greater the chance that one of them is actually moderately nasty. which actually brings me to a useful peice of information. greenkeepers and subs probably don't operate in the same areas but there might be some marginal areas, a pile of chips beside a sports oval for instance. if it's agrichems anyone is worried about then watch out for extremely well-maintained turf! DMAA anybody? the herbicide not the dopamine agent.

We're talking bout subs right? Yeah I haven't seen any spraying lately, haven't been looking for them lately either. I can barely manage to get up and down the steep hills pushing my way through all the bushes, I'd like to see someone go spray the area, for a laugh they'd be having so much trouble!

I spose I could get out more.

We're talking bout subs right? Yeah I haven't seen any spraying lately, haven't been looking for them lately either. I can barely manage to get up and down the steep hills pushing my way through all the bushes, I'd like to see someone go spray the area, for a laugh they'd be having so much trouble!

I spose I could get out more.

LOL that's a good thing 'cause it's january :wink: re: steep hills, trouble pushing through thickarse veg, welcome to my world.

ahh subs,could not agree more with above opinions these little babys are to be shown the utmost respect,just cause you have cube experience DOES not mean you know what the world of subs is about,they are in a class of their own,ive seen people reduced to little more than infants,unable to even understand the words in there own head,written word becomes as good as arabic to an english speaker,time looses all meaning,there really are no words to describe what occurs and thats not even starting to try and explain the visual open eye distortions that occur,as i said there just is no good way to descibe a full blown level five experience,what is also a little worrying about shrooms in general is the fact that what is level 2 to one person can be a level 5 rollercoaster to another,therefor one needs to know ones limits and trying to tell a first timer what is good for them can be a very difficult thing,caution is the key,ive seen many a SUB HERO regret their over heroic dose!!!also believe,as chiral stated, these guys often seek you out rather then the other way round.i lived in katoomba for sometime but am from the south west of australia where subs are found,although our drought and possible hunting pressure seems to have taken its toll.anyway i was going to say that on one particular day in my backyard in katoomba i got this odd feeling that subs were close by,i knew the climate was great for em but had no idea they grew there,this was years ago before i had studied up on mycology at all,ive had a 17 year relationship with these amazing fungi.so with this strange feeling that they were close by i walked directly to an old pinus radiata that had pretty much fallen over and was surrounded by that long grass they seen to love,anyone know what species that grass is,ive heared some say there may be a symbiotic relationship with said grass,although ive seen them in a few areas where there was none of this grass,maybe they just like it as it traps humidity??when i looked under the radiata log the first thing i saw was a small but text book sub beauty,i was shocked.that was the only one i saw without a further search.i began looking through the grass surrounding the pine(and i totally disagree with anyone who says subs love pines ,in my experience in sw w.a,it is just because radiata are farmed in the areas where subs occur as natives that led to this idea,i have only ever seen subs in immature radiata forests where there is still enough light to allow grass to grow)and found about 300 of the biggest subs ive ever seen :lol:.some may think that as i know so well the type of environment they grow in i knew where to look and they maybe right,but many,many times i have seen perfect looking areas back in the south west w.a and nuthing.ive also found it very interesting and concerning, that patches ive been aware of for 17 years have just not spread much futher than their original area all those years ago.with that in mind,that they spread in area slowly(only from personal observation) , the lack of normal rain patterns in the sw w.a for approx 10 years,and the increasing pressure from recreational users,i fear that at least in the sw of w.a subs may indeed be endangered,much like peyote in texas and mexico.i still hear storys of kids sayin they filled a sleepin bag!!!(selfish idiots),but i would be most interested to id what it is they had!!being that they appear so hard to cultivate and that the state government is hardly bout to start a 'save the subs 'program,they may well become just a memory,no other natives would be treated in such a way.anyway to end what has become a bit of a ramble does anyone else in west aus have any thoughts on the state of our sub population.