The Corroboree
Quelho

2010 Sub season

Might be a bit iffy, is the one at the front that looks like a solder helmet a sub?

Edited by Atlas

No, they are Leratiomyces Ceres. It's quite common to find them around Subs. They are poisonous but not deadly.

Edit: Nice forest finds buy the way. :)

Edited by Lord Mayonnaise

Thanks, they are my first finds ever, i tried to think of a place with most of the features i have read and been told on here, came up with a good place, then Went there and wandered along a track then i kinda picked a random spot wandered off into the bush and there they were, then found the second patch a bit later.

Thanks, they are my first finds ever, i tried to think of a place with most of the features i have read and been told on here, came up with a good place, then Went there and wandered along a track then i kinda picked a random spot wandered off into the bush and there they were, then found the second patch a bit later.

Good job, that's what you've been waiting for!!

so i've been keeping my eye out for my little friends in many inner city areas. all i've been seeing the last few days is those little red ones. white stem and reddish caps that are in the photos atlas posted on the last page.

i've been told they are indicator species but i'd like to know a little more if anyone can help...

do they pop up before or after subs? if so how much earlier than subs generally? what are their patterns compared to subs?

eager to find out because i've found dozens of spots with these little teasers growing.

so i've been keeping my eye out for my little friends in many inner city areas. all i've been seeing the last few days is those little red ones. white stem and reddish caps that are in the photos atlas posted on the last page.

I'm think that with all this rain of late it may well be time for a trip to the mountains to find and photograph some of these delightful allies.

Peace, Sam

i've been told they are indicator species but i'd like to know a little more if anyone can help...

do they pop up before or after subs? if so how much earlier than subs generally? what are their patterns compared to subs?

eager to find out because i've found dozens of spots with these little teasers growing.

Yep, they are an indicator that Subs may be around.

Keep looking around nearby, as you may spot the

Caramel Gold Tops.

When you bend the stem on many lookalikes,

they will snap in half and be hollow.

But with Subs, they have Rubber type Stems that bend

and come back to shape, just like they are made of rubber.

Today, I went for a walk through a carpark and found

12 Subs in a woodchip mulch garden under some eucalypt trees.

Then it started pouring rain, extremely heavy.

I got Soaking wet in a few seconds.

This was in Sydney, near the coast.

The Subs are around now, once you spot em,

you'll recognise them every time after, easily.

Just like you are drawn to them.

Good Luck all... :)

Edited by Keenter

Here are some pics of the 12 Subs I found today.

I took the shots with my mobile phone, so they

ain't the best quality.

12 subs

post-7244-127530085704_thumb.jpg

Close ups

post-7244-127530092436_thumb.jpg

post-7244-127530096162_thumb.jpg

post-7244-127530097455_thumb.jpg

Edit as below:

Yeh Rabaelthazer, they got a bit Wet, and ruffled

from me running about in the heavy rain.

I broke them into pieces to show the colours

of Cap, Gills and Stipe.

They do look a bit rough though. B)

But just to show that they are around

in the local suburbs, and quite easy

to find them, without much effort.

I do believe that the forests are the

way to go, though, for large finds. :lol:

Edited by Keenter

Here are some pics of the 12 Subs I found today.

Sorry to say, but they look pretty crusty, almost as if they're on the verge of decomposing. I'd normally leave specimens like this in the ground to complete their natural life cycle. What sort of area are you looking in? If those guys were findable, you'd hope there'd be some fresher specimens to, um, also leave in the ground, if you know what I mean.

<edit- sorry, just saw your location in previous post - edit>

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Thanks, they are my first finds ever, i tried to think of a place with most of the features i have read and been told on here, came up with a good place,

Well done on the observation work there Atlas :) Nothing better than getting a feel for where they might be growing I reckon.

A few pics from this afternoons exploring in the forest.

post-7065-127530677172_thumb.jpg

post-7065-12753068339_thumb.jpg

Sorry to say, but they look pretty crusty, almost as if they're on the verge of decomposing

nah they dry out just the same. and once they are in a tea makes no difference what they looked like.

Nice work Atlas well done !

holymountain wrote:

nah they dry out just the same. and once they are in a tea makes no difference what they looked like.

^^^agreed

As long as they have had a chance to release their spores, all they have left to do is rot.

Edited by Sonny Jim

Holy Mountain and Sonny Jim,

Fair points. I guess I've been lucky with my patches that there's enough in the ground to be picky about which ones I photograph. Enjoy Keenter, as long as they do the job... that's what's important.

was this in northern NSW? wonder if subaeruginosa has ever been found near the QLD/NSW border....

Fair points. I guess I've been lucky with my patches that there's enough in the ground to be picky about which ones I photograph

well obviously if you are spoilt for choice you can be picky. its the shrooms john west rejects... ahhh...half your luck.

well obviously if you are spoilt for choice you can be picky. its the shrooms john west rejects... ahhh...half your luck.

Yeah, I've had a lot of luck this year. Best patch I've ever found and it's only a three minute drive from my house. Thanks is given to the universe. :lol:

Edited by Rabaelthazar

FOAF observed some in SA this morning, he said that most of the area looked picked already and he only saw about 12 small subs in the ground, all no bigger than a ten cent peice.

He took some pictures for me though :), i'll have to convince him to let me post them.

Nice work Atlas well done !

Thanks, ill keep searching around and see if i can find some great spots

Subbies!!! not half as fun as the big jungle hunt, but productive non the less!!!

Will be heading hunting this weekend!! got a few more ideas.

Those real orange ones were a bit of a worry so they have been seperated but then i got a Dark purple spore print....weird, but still need further evidence before i'd eat one, not that i would because its illegal....microscopy purposes only!!!!

Edited by Atlas

those red ones are Stropharia aurantiaca/Leratiomyces ceres; it's essential to keep the stem next to the corresponding cap when doing ID. :)

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Cool, i kept all the stems beside each species as in definites and unsures and the weirds i kept the stem beside each cap.

I thought the Strophs had brown print, will check out better and have a look under a microscope, see how they look.

Thansk for the info

The strophs have a softer stem that won't bruise blue.

Looks like someone found a patch of wild subs in a tub.

Haha

:drool2:

Nice work man all that reading and such made you think about where they might be near you huh...sweeet, you've prolly been looking where not many have thought to look before am I right, or is it a popular destination by walkers and hikers. There are literally millions of places to look up there.