The Corroboree
PD.

On rosei

Some time back i recieved 2 different cuttings from a member here. Both cuts are def peruvianus and when i received them i could only say one was rosei to my eye and the other one similar spination and a nice blue just seemed a lil different.

Both cuts came from bendigo, a well known grower. While i havent been back to the garden these cuttings came from and cannot remember what the mature plants look like, im going to go from what new growth has come of these two cuttings and get an idea out there. Im fairly confident one of the cuts IS rosei#1 but the other one, which seems to be quiet a big fat peruvian ISNT rosei. The latter seems to have much smaller spacing inbetween areoles, areoles fur is different colour especially new growth and the vest leaves on the new growth are funky lookn lil white numbers! Did i mention its very fat........

Anyways, i just thought id mention this as i have seen a bit of this material flogged off with the name rosei attached when imo it isnt rosei at all.

Any thoughts or pics of such material would be appreciated.

Do you have pics of yours? Would be good to see what they look like and comparisons between the two.

post-1464-12694979595_thumb.jpg

This is one of the bendigo 2, the one im sure is rosei#1

post-1464-126949797289_thumb.jpg

This is the one im sure ISNT rosei, notice the lil white vest leaves

post-1464-126949796683_thumb.jpg

side by side older growth

post-1464-126949787398_thumb.jpg

Rosei#1, fields

post-1464-126949798004_thumb.jpg

Rosei#2, fields

DSCN1568.JPG

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1573.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1568.JPG

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1573.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

a fine looking specimen tho

Damn, they are nice cacti! They are definitely different. Maybe the rosei 3 that Trout mentions in one of his books? Does the older growth look more like rosei 1 or 2?

So is Norma Roseii 1...?

no idea really chiral, i havent seen her up close. What colour is the areole fur on new growth?

I have a fair amount of new growth on one cutting I'll take a pic 2morow after work and dump it for comparisons.

The areole growth is quite small and not white like Roseii 2 more dull greyish even.

My contributions:

post-6300-126951860927_thumb.jpg

T. peruvianus from a grower in NSW. Looks very similar to the one you are asking about PD.

post-6300-126951872076_thumb.jpg

rosei 2 from interbeing

post-6300-126951873892_thumb.jpg

rosei 1 from interbeing

I notice that the aereoles on both your rosei are white, but mine are brown. What causes this?

DSC06827.jpg

DSC06712.jpg

DSC06713.jpg

DSC06827.jpg

DSC06712.jpg

DSC06713.jpg

I have found rosei-type specimens in a few gardens now in sa, once of which had labels. This garden had T. peruvians (rosei) T. rosei #1 and T. rosei #2. One of the rosei's he had labelled had spines at least 2 inches in length (rsoei #2) and looked somewhat like the rosei #2 in this thread but longer spines but had the characteristic fluffy areoles. Another was extremely fat (i.e scop size or bigger) (rosei #1, most like interbeing rosei in this thread), and the third was an intermediate between the two (peruvianus var rosei). A T. rosei I bought from a member here does not look quite like either of the three (but was a nice plant most closely resembling the var peruvians var rosei), and I subsequently killed this specimen with an accident involving fly spray :BANGHEAD2: Much will have to do with growing conditions. I believe the plants I have originally came from vic and are quite possible the same as #2 and interbeing in this thread. Photos in a few weeks when I can visit my garden.

looks like rosei is a slut... <3 to catch up next time your in town micro

carry on..

[edit] woops, my postit note about not posting when drunk fell off...I still want to catch up with micro, rosie may or may not be promiscuous

Edited by rogdog

[edit] woops, my postit note about not posting when drunk fell off...I still want to catch up with micro, rosie may or may not be promiscuous

lol mine keeps falling off too :D

I know those cuts they were from me :)

Edited by sharxx101

Rosei ! easily one of my favourites. :drool2:

Not sure what genetics this other peru has, but it is an impressive cactus

Edited by sharxx101

The mystery deepens!

I may have to do some relabelling.

I have found the pics of the mother plants and PD is spot on.

T. Peruvianus Rosei 1

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/sharxx101/rosei1.jpg

T.peruvianus Not Rosei as you can see older groth goes a yellow green with age, Rosei does not do this

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/sharxx101/Nosei.jpg

I have sold a few cuts as Rosei# 1 90% were rosei1 the other 10% arnt as I though they were the same just different growing conditions PD has proved me to be wrong. I offer the people that I sent this fat peru too a free Rosei pup and you can keep this other fat peruvian, just please relabel your cactus as T.peruvianus.

Please send me a pic or post a pic here of the cactus I sent you so I can fix up this mistake.

The mystery deepens!

I may have to do some relabelling.

Yes mate time for a relabel your is the T.peruvianus that isnt Rosei 1, I will pm you about your replacement

So is Norma Roseii 1...?

The plant in question would be a more likely candidate i think. From memory the pics i saw of norma had very similar traits to sharxxs big fatty peru.

Who has some good shots of norma logs or even a pic of her before hebs got there??

Edited by PD.

My contributions:

post-6300-126951860927_thumb.jpg

T. peruvianus from a grower in NSW. Looks very similar to the one you are asking about PD.

post-6300-126951872076_thumb.jpg

rosei 2 from interbeing

post-6300-126951873892_thumb.jpg

rosei 1 from interbeing

I notice that the aereoles on both your rosei are white, but mine are brown. What causes this?

Yep that top pic looks a hell of alot like the pup on my plant, even got the lil white vest leaves.

Those are some nice cacti,when is the migration of these clones to the U.S. set to begin,I await with great anticipation. :)

re: norma

i didnt get photos of before we cut it, but i can arrange some photos of what i got here.

Those are some nice cacti,when is the migration of these clones to the U.S. set to begin,I await with great anticipation. :)

I dont think it will be long mate :)

I wouldnt mind a cut of norma if it is different to rosei and the peru in this thread