The Corroboree
nabraxas

Agarwood

Ballzac's Palo Santo Liqueur post reminded me ov Agarwood , which we came across in Vietnam.

The scent is produced by a fungus which infects the tree, & is really heady. It makes a really good natural incense, & i'm sure it wood give a really unique flavour to alcohol.

Agarwood calms the nervous system, expels negative energies, brings alertness, relieves anxiety, invokes a sense of strength and peace and enhances cerebral functioning. It eases neurosis and obsessive behaviour and helps create harmony in your home.

Agarwood is highly psychoactive. It is used for a spiritual journey, enlightenment, clarity and to bring the deep peace necessary for meditation. It is recommended by experienced practitioners for providing motivation and the necessary devotion for meditation. It brings communication with the transcendent, refreshing the mind, body and spirit. It is said that prayers arise with the fragrant smoke of agarwood incense carry the prayer to the Creator.

http://www.kacha-stones.com/agarwood_oil.htm

Anybody had any experiences w/it?

yes i been working with eaglewood/agarwood for many years now to make incense and perfumes, as well as in medicine. it is one of my most favoured medicines and scents, such a beautiful wood. the msoke from this wood is one of the most sacred in some places of the world, the essential oil is very very expensive. i have a few ml of essential oil, mixed with ethanol. so strong.

one night whilst drinking ayahuasca, i introduced agarwood and was taught song for eaglewood. such a beautiful thing, i cant imagine my life with it around.

in my recent incense i made and offered here this was one of the main ingredients.

• Like 1

the essential oil is mind altering i reckon, a sniff of it and you whole mood is elevated, it is heavenly

edit to say the darker the wood the better quality.

a perfume of agarwood, benzoin and bing pian a type of camphor is very good at cleansing and clearing energies. this is the perfume that ayahuasca showed me a song for.

Edited by VelvetSiren

Where do you get your agarwood/agarwood essential oil from VS?

i made it the essential oil, i get my wood from my herbalist.

I've read that agarwood is declining in the wild due to over-harvesting, much the same as sandalwood. It is now on the listed for potentially threatened species. Do you know if what you get is cultivated or wild-harvested?

Edited by tripsis

its cultivated, in china, i asked the herbalist about this. the heartwood you can buy as well, and that is very expensive, i think it is over 100 dollars or something for 150grams or something like that but i actually prefer the A grade, it is darker and has more fragrance, chen xiang is the pinyin for this plant. yes i heard about that about sandalwood, prices seem to be going up as well i was told recently.

but this is a concern, as china sometimes do not take into account such things. but i think in regards to aloeswood, it is tightly regulated. and they cultivate it for medicinal purposes.

Ah nice, good to know. It's good to see that it is being cultivated, instead of just relying on dwindling natural sources.

Regarding the sandalwood, people need to consider this before buying the essential oil of it too. As nice as it is, it is much nicer not to drive it to extinction just for our olfactory pleasure. No natural resource can sustain the sorts of pressure humans apply to them when we decide en masse that we want them. Things like this need to be cultivated if we wish to use them well into the future.

So the wood you get is not the heartwood? I thought that was what was useful when the trees became infected. $100 for 150g is exhorbitant.

well yes technically its all heartwood affected by the fungas, but there is a higher grade than A grade, which is the middle part of the infection i believe, for my purposes, the A grade is fantastic. i guess A grade is next followed by lower grades. i do not know a great deal about that, but once at the herbalist they pulled out this jar of the expensive sort.

Thanks for the explanation. So the herbalist is a TCM herbalist? Would love to get some if it were cultivated.

yes tcm herbalist.

will send you some

• Like 1

Many thanks VS! You are very generous. :wub:

real fine Agarwood, grade C with CITES- certificate:
http://www.sonnlicht.at/Raeucherhoelzer/Adlerholz-Assam-Grade-C-5-g-Saeckchen.html

once upon a time, they also had very small pieces of grade A, but now they do not sell it anymore.

for Oud, the Agarwood-oil from cultivation:
http://www.primaveralife.com/de/oud-adlerholz-5.html

once upon a time, Primavera sold 1ml- vials Oud (I have 2 of them), now they only have this "big" expensive bottles. I think they want to limit the purchases because of the limited supply, so that only a few people who absolutely "need" this oil will pay this high price.

I make perfumes, also with psychoactive raw materials, of which Oud is one of them, but this will be another thread.

• Like 1

it is now cultivated in Oz, right?

Yes -- if you read that link above, FNQ - "Far North Queensland" - Queensland being a state in Australia

Aquilaria agallocha:

th_889803225_Aquilariaagallocha1_122_207
Aquilaria crassna:
th_885337237_Aquilariacrassna3_122_531lo
Edited by mindperformer

On 2/26/2013 at 0:48 AM, mindperformer said:

Aquilaria agallocha:

th_889803225_Aquilariaagallocha1_122_207

Aquilaria crassna:
th_885337237_Aquilariacrassna3_122_531lo

@mindperformer, Hi, good on you, it takes 7 years to be healthy enough to "ïnnoculate" or put in simply, wound it to start provide agarwood.

It is available in Australia now

http://grandawood.com.au/

We have incenses and especially oil which offers various scent profile. Any question please ask

Trent