The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

Seeking Tasmannia lanceolata - native or mountain pepper

Hey, title says it all... have things to trade or cash dollars to purchase!

PM me... also chasing any other native herbs, spices or vegetables!

Edited by AndyAmine.
Edited for clarity

When i read this i thought you were asking for po ppies! Tasmannia lanceolata.

Edited by Smiling Cloud

PM'd

Glad someone else is interested in this. Mild flavor but definitely blows your top off. :wacko:

Laughs at the frost.

Do a google.

About $2/ea for plantlets delivered (to VIC) from Tassie nurseries.

From memory, a member here offered me some, so trade is possible

Pm me if you do no good and I'll check my archives for a source.

Great gear for cooking.

ed

thanks for the post

i think ill have to look into these to been keepin my eye out for some new bushtucker

leaf is useful but the they produce berrys which have a much stronger flavour!

Thanks ed will look into that and post a link if i find a source!

From memory you need both a female and male plant to produce berries. They shouldn't be too hard to find Puft, i gave away a few cuttings i had at EGA, been meaning to take a few more. I'll let you know how the cuttings are going in a few months, but by then i'd say you will have found a few :lol:

cheers

I could track some down for you if you wanted.

i dont have any spare myself, but i can go to nurseries if you dont find any online, and then send them on.

i could make cuttings but they take a while to strike.

they are lovely plants, and the leaves and berries are both lovely for cooking.

cheers, Obtuse

When I was doing fieldwork a year or so ago near Cradle Mt, the other guy with me told the Dutch vounteers we had with us that the fruit on all the shrubs along the sides of the forestry tracks were 'Tasmanian blueberries'.

Anyone who's ever tried the berries straight will know that this is very cruel, especially for an unsuspecting victim!

It's great to be able to pick your own tucker though - the berries are fantastic in spag bol, or anything that calls for a pepper flavour. I reckon that the are much better than pepper though...

They're basically alpine plants, and shade is OK, and in fact they'll grow well on the south side of a house as long as they have a bit of morning or late afternoon sun.

They hedge well too.

All in all, I love 'em.

Okay, so far no luck so if anyone out there knows of a source or can get me plants i am happy to pay or trade... i have found a few places but so far no luck with stock etc... even just a pm with any sources would be much appreciated!

Oh and just saw tripsis post thanks but is it just me or are they rip-off merchants (im not sure about quality of stock but for that price i would expect an immaculate plant standing at at least 1 and a half feet tall!

Edited by Mr Stay Puft

Okay, so far no luck so if anyone out there knows of a source or can get me plants i am happy to pay or trade... i have found a few places but so far no luck with stock etc... even just a pm with any sources would be much appreciated!

Oh and just saw tripsis post thanks but is it just me or are they rip-off merchants (im not sure about quality of stock but for that price i would expect an immaculate plant standing at at least 1 and a half feet tall!

Hey mr puft I would like one of these too maybe we can do a group order?

Just checked and found the price-tag @ $4/plantlet from Cradoc Nursery , (Cradoc Nursery, 110 Cradoc Hill Road, Cradoc, TAS 7109, Phone: 03 6266 3790, Fax: 03 6266 3890)

I'm thinking there was a discount involved for purchasing a few as well - I bought five from memory and that was approx. two years back, and think it was about $20 all-up delivered to W Vic. All arrived promptly and were in good nick.

cheers,

ed