The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Illustro

Solanaceae ID

Question

Hey guys,

I was doing some work down the back of my place the other day and noticed this tree growing in a thicket. I am very unfamiliar with the Solanaceae tree species, i have never really been too interested in Brugs and Datura species etc - but this tree really peaked my interest. The masses of bright pink flowers made this plant hard for me to leave unknown, i did some research - but came up empty handed. I believe it was seed dispersed possibly from a large private Victorian garden a few hundred meters away - but that is all the leads i have on its origins.

Flower: Calyx, Corolla & Androceum all adnate, borne on an epigynous zone. Eight stamens (staggered), four petals (valvate) and four sepals (also valvate).

Reference is in centimeters.

Any info would be appreciated, cheers!

9 answers to this question

are you sure its solanaceae?

Yep, its definitely in the Solanaceae family.

First glance I thought this was an Iochroma fuchsioides, and a good find.

closer inspection suggests that it is a probably a Fuchsia (or a relative thereof), and if so not in the Solanaceae.

The berries are pretty diagnostic.

perhaps Fuchsia dependens or boliviana?

Edited by culebra22

I think you may be right, i jumped the gun a bit and made bit of a faux pas by using the leaf physiology and general flower appearance to justify the family - in what i believed was an easy pick. The adnate sepals should have been a dead give away, i kinda over looked that.

Meh, i have never bothered studying any non-food crop Solanaceae plants till now - i might go examine some datura flowers tomorrow.

Cheers.

Edit: Yep, F. boliviana or dependens or other close relative. I still can't believe its not in the Solanaceae family, i just screams nightshade lol.

I will see if i can find anything interesting on the species, once i round it down - cheers man.

Edited by solvo.vestri

Now That's wot I'm Talkin 'Bout! :P

Am thinking this is the species of Fuchsia which the similar Iochroma is named after, "-oides" just being Latin speak for 'resemblance to-'.

even the leaves are very similar...

Fuchsia berries are edible... most are very bland though.

However F.boliviana is supposed to have a sweet flavour when ripe.

I have seen this one around from time to time, it is uncommon.

I saw an alba (white flowering) form of boliviana at the Mebourne botanical gardens.

I tried a berry today, a subtle and unique flavor - not very sweet but very different. I am pretty confident now that it is F. boliviana, it also turns out it is considered a weed here :scratchhead:

Thanks for the help culebra, i would still be researching the Solanaceae family if it wasnt for you lol.

Cheers!

Edited by solvo.vestri

F. boliviana, it also turns out it is considered a weed here :scratchhead:

WhaThat plant!?... I mean yeah well isn't everything!

Seems that slowly but surely all exotic plants are being put on weed lists... :unsure:

Edited by culebra22